Marty Cubes with 15" Ultimax?

ACV92

So, is there a design with the Marty cubes that works with 15" UMax subs?  I've read on AVS forums that you can 'substitute' the 15's for the 18's but I'm reluctant as the design was created for 18"s.  I have two of the 15's in the sealed DIY cabs, look pretty good I must say, but want more low end growl.  Thoughts here are appreciated.

@ACV92

hi, the um15 models very similar to the um18. it simply has a little less max output given its slightly smaller size.

with lower displaced volume, the port velocity will be slightly lower than the 18, so nothing to worry about there.

we can modify the cutout for the um15 on any of the marty subs without much difficulty.

the mini-marty would be your best choice if the size fits in your space because it provides a couple db more output on the very low end and has a couple db of additional extension.

otherwise, the cube will still provide 4-5db more output relative to sealed in the range from just under 20hz up to around 30hz and a little less increase on either side of that range.

sealed will have more output under approximately 14hz compared to the cube and under 12hz compared with the mini.

for most folks we advise getting to a high output level first, then going deep second, but opinions on that vary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LTD02 said:

for most folks we advise getting to a high output level first, then going deep second, but opinions on that vary.

(Respectful snip for brevity.)

I think that entire post is the most complete and cogent reply to a question I've ever heard.  Bravo!  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

I have 2 15inch subs in diysg 4cft net ported boxes and yes they work perfectly.  Only because the particular drivers work well in 4cft though...

The marty sub concept is not a rigid set of parameters, it was in fact a brillant thread offering a thorough account of exactly how to build a great ported sub.

Any part of the design can be modified.  If you have existing 15s switching to ported is just that, you are not restricted to existing designs...but yes the benefit is being confident those particular builds WILL result in success.

Originally 15s were envisioned as an option as LTD says, but SI used to offer an 18 with a compliant enough suspension to work in a small box about 5cft net.

As always the driver is key...i.e. a 15in ultimax does not want a 4cft ported box....too small.  It wants 6cft.

So if you have the ultimax, go bigger.  Ltd is a sub designer and a pro so his words should be valued above mine but i am correct you want 6cft for a umax15 (minimum, which is why he says minimarty, which is about 10cft)....4cft for a ultimax12, 6 for a 15 and ar least 8 for an 18 --- ultimax.

• Thanks 1