The King of Instruments - Pipe Organ

Rivernuggets

A grand experience, feeling those low pipes move air.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:17 PM, Ceptorman said:

@Tigerman works on pipe organs.

Tuning an organ seems like a daunting process. I don't even know....one can remove material to sharpen/flatten the pipe's pitch, but what happens if it needs to be reversed? 

On 2/17/2019 at 1:48 PM, Rivernuggets said:

A grand experience, feeling those low pipes move air.

Tuning an organ seems like a daunting process. I don't even know....one can remove material to sharpen/flatten the pipe's pitch, but what happens if it needs to be reversed? 

Each pipe has a means of adjusting its length. Open pipes have a collar or slot at the top of the pipe which allows the length to be changed, shorter to raise pitch and longer to lower pitch. The stopped pipes ( those that are closed at the top) have a device which is like a tight fitting plunger inside the top of the pipe. Pushing it further in makes the pipe effectively shorter, raising the pitch, or pulling further out will lengthen the air column, lowering the pitch. The stopped pipes play one octave lower in frequency than they would if the stopper was removed.

And yes, tuning even a small pipe organ is a big project, ask me how I know!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:
On 2/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, CECAA850 said:

What happens when you cut a 2x4 too short?

Just add water!

Nah, you just need a board stretcher.  You don't know much about woodworking, do you?  :lol:

The funny thing is when I was a kid my dad was always having me go to the hardware store to get one.  For some reason, they were always out.  :huh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Nah, you just need a board stretcher.  You don't know much about woodworking, do you?  :lol:

The funny thing is when I was a kid my dad was always having me go to the hardware store to get one.  For some reason, they were always out.  :huh:

We were more of a mechanically oriented bunch.  I'd have to find muffler bearings.

• Haha 1