HT/Family Room Setup in New Construction Basement

jaydogg

Hi all! 

I'm a little under the gun on time, but I am looking for some advice on a HT setup in a family room basement "to-be".  (currently studs and a bare concrete floor but being finished off in the next couple of weeks)

I've attached a quick graph drawing of the space. As a note... there is about 2 feet or so of walking space behind the wall with the angles at the top of the page, and lots of space on the right side, which is nicely indicated by the squiggly lines. 😉  

FYI... this is NOT a "theater seating" setup. Probably doing a sectional couch with a bar-height tabletop behind it with chairs.

So here's my questioning/thinking:

Speaker Plan:  5.1 to start with. Maybe upgrading to 7.1, 7.2, or some Atmos option later

Video: undecided

Main Focus: Video source and LCR decision. Surrounds and sub seem pretty straight forward for me. It's not my first rodeo, but the idea of projection and/or tower configuration for LCR are new.

1 - This is also a family room w/ kiddos... how can I set it up in a way that fits both theater AND family room well? 

2 - Given the layout, should we go projector and fixed screen OR large TV? 

2a) if projector, should I do fixed AT screen with speakers behind it OR standard fixed screen with speakers NOT behind it?

3 - Given the room size and video decision, should I do a LCR in 3 towers? Bookshelfs? 2 towers and a normal center? Other ideas? The 3 towers only works if I choose an AT screen I believe.

Oh... I'm a Klipsch fan, so this is all Klipsch audio for me. 🙂 

Thanks a ton for your input. It's definitely valued!

basement.jpg

Lots of stuff to consider before the drywall or finished walls are up. 

-Pre-wire for all your speakers

-Pre-wire for all electrical and lighting

-Insulation

-Wall treatments

Do you have the speakers picked out yet? You might look through the "let's see your home theater" thread on here for ideas. Once the drywall goes up, it gets expensive and messy to make changes later. I've noticed quite a few people will wall mount a TV, then have a drop down screen they use only for movies. Do you have a budget in mind?

Also prewire for any speakers you could want in the future (atmos). Trust me you will go that way sooner than you think. If you have the room and funds try to set up for a full size center.  I love klipsch to but if i could do anything diffrent i would go with diy sound group 1099 or 1299 for theater. 

On 2/17/2019 at 11:02 AM, Ceptorman said:

Lots of stuff to consider before the drywall or finished walls are up. 

-Pre-wire for all your speakers

-Pre-wire for all electrical and lighting

-Insulation

-Wall treatment

Do you have the speakers picked out yet? You might look through the "let's see your home theater" thread on here for ideas. Once the drywall goes up, it gets expensive and messy to make changes later. I've noticed quite a few people will wall mount a TV, then have a drop down screen they use only for movies. Do you have a budget in mind?

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been down the construction route before with our upstairs remodel. We prewired for everything upstairs.

The big unknown for me right now is the AT screen and front speaker selection. I am trying to build the "stage" for the behind the screen speakers (LCR) and subs, as well as figure out how to frame for the screen.

Right now I'm planning on building the stage to a height of 24". The depth for behind the stage speakers is about 30".

We are not doing any elevated seating. Everything in the room in ground level seating.

- At this stage height of 24"... can I still do towers, even though the tweeters would be above ear level?

- Budget is a little of an unknown at the moment. Not huge. Probably around $250 - $300 for each LCR... roughly the same for subs... a bit less for surrounds.

- AT screen needs to be DIY. Cost?? not sure yet. 110" seems to be the max I can fit on the wall.

- Projector will probably be a modest 1080p for now. 4k is way too much $$.

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

If thats your budget per speaker then you really do need to look at the diy stuff

Yeah, I may have misspoke on the total budget, but overall I've been looking at RP-5000F for the LCR setup... probably a pair of SVS subs and whatever else for the surrounds.

I appreciate your DIY suggestion, but we will only be about 10-11ft from the screen. I don't think I need more than 3 Klipsch towers and 2 subs up front. 🙂 

Plus, I don't have time to sit around and put speakers together, unless there is a consensus that DIY speakers will far outperform 3 Klipsch towers.

Anyone?