Amp search for Forte I (Vinyl DJ setup w/mixer)

EBEB

Hey guys, 

I'm new here and would love to get advice on best pairings for a second hand Forte I I have just bought 🙂

*Room -  big living room  15 x 20ft (4.6 x 6.0m)

* Setup - 2 Technics sl1200 and an e&s DJR400 mixer

*Music formats: mostly vinyl and from time to time streaming over an Audioengine B1 from the mixer

*Music type: Ambient, Jazz, Brazil, Disco and House (No rock or classic which seems to be on the paper the big plus of Klipsch)

Would love to get suggestions for SS amps v.s Tubes (and why) plus a small explanation about the sound quality bump if I move from investing anything around $600 to a $1200/$1500

Thanks a million for any kind advice and guidance.

Edited by EBEB
  • Like 1

Lots of excellent choices. IMHO, for your use you won't see much of a quality bump with more spent. Good SS choice would be one of the classic Pioneer receivers. No huge fan of SS, but these sound as good as any SS to me and for 600.00 you can get pretty much top of the line in looks and performance.

Class D is also a low cost option that supplies some of the "warmth" of tubes at very low cost. I've driven K'horns with a 100.00 Class D and found it superb and superior to SS for my own tastes. Likes silly having a tiny palm sized amp with these giants...but it works. Tubes you can get in the upper range. Sometimes less. I have a 10w Jolida I paid 150.00 for used that I love and use in one of my systems. Can't recall Forte efficiency, but I drive 4 Frazier Mark IV and Mark V with mine through a DynaQuad and have all the volume I need.

Sometimes all you get by spending more money is a reduced bank account.

Dave

Hi EBEB,

Welcome to the forum :D 

Have tried a bunch of amps on my Forte's :D  Marantz 1030 (15wpc), Marantz 1060 (30wpc), Marantz 2252B (52wpc), Yamaha CR1020 (100wpc) and a Crown K1 pro-amp (350wpc). Actually preferred the moderate power of the Marantz 1060 ... to me it had the best sound.

If you do not want to go the "vintage" route, have heard some of the new Yamaha's (not heard on my Forte's) ... like the A-S801 ... and was pleasantly surprised.

Cheers, Emile

Great guys! I'm trending towards tube at the moment and trying to harvest more recommendations on brands and models.  What else is out there that sounds great with your Forte I? 🙂 

Edited by EBEB