Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

Jeff,

You are definitely out there dancing on the edge. Reminds a little of  Ric Schultz ideas for system synergy. 

Welcome, your system is out of the ordinary.

I think you need about three different wattage soldering irons. Some of the connections indicate the components were not up to temp and could have cold solder joints. Try a 40 watt to achieve smooth flow. But this will smoke the small film caps. That why you need three, a 12, 25, and 40. 

Based on the pictures, I believe you’ve probably damaged the film on most of your capacitors. 

The thickness of the wire makes no difference whatsoever - you’re hearing what you want to hear.

The quality of film and construction will have more of an effect on the sound than the wire you are using. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

But if you carefully study that post I referred you too

I read as much as I could stand.  Your mentor was posed with questions and never really answered them.  He was fairly skilled at deflecting them however.  I didn't see any links to scientific data or anything much other than opinion.

44 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

You fellows are respectful, very good, and entitled to your ideas. 

Mine come from direct experience, building my own, and I am very seriously - openly, honestly posting what I find, and believe to be so.

I try to help others, at this stage of my life, as best as I can and I see fit !!  Thanks .

Jeff 

I think you have some great advice for beginners. Have you looked into this thread yet?

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I read as much as I could stand.  Your mentor was posed with questions and never really answered them.  He was fairly skilled at deflecting them however.  I didn't see any links to scientific data or anything much other than opinion.

Who does that remind you of?  Let's see---deflection, ignoring scientific data, anything much other than opinion...

5 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Hello Deang,

That is easy.   It has far better transfer efficiency, so it allows you to migrate from an ugly-sounding 50 Watt amp, to a best-sounding-in-this-world 1 , maybe 2 Watt triode amp, no feedback, maybe direct coupled two stage, and hear it all optimally.   

Amps, not speakers, are the weakest link, as I have previously pointed out - from probably my first or second posting on this Forum. 

Why don't you read this thread, posted recently on AA, and pay particular attention to those posts by "Tube Wrangler" .  Dennis is a great person,  a good friend of mine, who has a lifetime of experience owning / servicing movie theatres,  high-efficiency speakers, audio. 

He builds, IMHO,  since 1989, the best amps I have ever heard .........................after me having attended audio shows for the last 60 plus years.   

I hope you learn much, from his comments.  Here you are :

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tubediy&m=266718

Jeff 

Back when I was into tubes I purchased some NOS tubes from Dennis when he was off of I-30 in the old movie house. That had to be 25 years ago.

Think they were glass bottle 6SJ7. Had a 300B amp, still do, that used 6SJ7 for the front end. The glass bottles were better than  the metal ones I had. 

He had a LOT of vintage amps and speakers in his Chimera Labs store. 

4 hours ago, Deang said:

Electrons don’t “flow”. 

Yes they do Dean. It is why you run your cables suspended on towers with a slight slope down towards your speakers and no dips anywhere. If you don't the electrons will puddle in the dips and that is not good. That's what causes that pop in so many systems when turned on since not only are new electrons flowing they pick up the old puddled ones to and cause a surge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3