Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Hi Oldtimer, 

But never in your life have you ever heard his gear.  What a shame.  You can't tell things from posts on line, yours, mine, anyone's. 

Scientific data and opinions do not matter, what matters ( in my experience ), is what an individual hears from any audio system, and how that specific person relates to it musically.

Well, thanks for your post.  I now have your number too !!  We can differ.

Jeff 

What's happening and welcome to the forum. Saw you are self taught or words to that effect in an earlier post. As you know, maybe better than me that when in a common place listening with ears sometime not so in common being individual we may indeed differ. Have typically deferred to people in their field of expertize but, not always being a bit self taught and keen as mustard in my field of electronics. Will say this however, Dean's choice of capacitors along with his interest and experience for my particular need, more than sufficed. Very glad you are having this conversation and I say , people tend to learn something from the to and fro so, enjoy...

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Thanks billybob for your welcome, very nice . 

Learning something !!   That is what I am hoping for.   And I have been "into" audio, all my life.  Before I leave, I'd like to share with others what " I" have found to be the most effective path, so they can " perhaps" advance themselves along on this journey. 

Read " Robert on Audio Wire, 1978 ", a couple posts above, both pages.  Some will get it.

Jeff 

Alright sounds interesting. Keeping mind open somewhat yet keeping what works for me tends to work. Mostly on the listening side of life now. One can always rethink a position or determination at times when surrounded with those of like interest, as you know. Welcome!

12 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Scientific data and opinions do not matter,

I couldn't disagree more as far as scientific data is concerned.  If that were the case speaker manufacturers would have no test equipment whatsoever.  With statements like this it's difficult if not impossible to take anything you say seriously.  You sound like the guy who sells Brilliant Pebbles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I have commented and provided several ways to improve your unit's performance. 

I would be very interested in reading about all these deficiencies if you would be so kind as to provide links to substantiate your claim.  3'rd party independent testing is normally the best.  For the record, I've never seen anything designed by PWK or Roy D. that used anything near the size that you're proposing in a crossover.

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

One third party " you asked me for " is and  could be Steve Deckert of Decware. 

Speaker wire and crossover connections are 2 entirely different things.  That link is also an advertisement, not a study or paper on the subject.  Please link me to studies showing the benefits of 8ga wire in crossovers or anything else that you find objectionable in the picture of the crossover you've labeled..  I'm open minded on the subject but you've yet to post anything of substance.  I could just as easily say the smaller wire is better for crossovers as it causes the electrons to travel faster between components causing better transient response.  Why do I think that?  Because it sounds better to me and my buddy said my system sounds amazing.  Sounds like BS doesn't it?  All I've seen so far are placebo statements.

I, too, am amazed by what you're doing.  Utterly.  But amazement can be either in a good or bad way...

I guess I'm a bit curious about the 57.125 inch deal.  What's its significance?

4 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

No one touched on multiple film caps to get FULL musical expression, either.  " We've always done it such and such way, I see it in the books, I copy it from on-line pictures ". 

Did you miss my discussion of that a few pages back?  Evidently so, as your quoted statement now constitutes a second indication, the first being your silence regarding my query when I'd brought it up.

I could not figure-out how and WHY an adult, in audio, would tell me there is no difference in wire size for any given application.  Makes NO SENSE to me, at all. 

I wasn't the one that made the remark you're referring to, but I'll go on the record as saying it's not so much that "there is no difference" rather "there's no difference beyond the point of sufficiently-sized wire."  I've got a couple pieces of cable left over from a job.  It is nearly 2" in outside diameter, single 1" conductor.  It wouldn't be suitable for use in audio wiring because it's got a bend radius in feet not fractions of an inch.  Anyway, I doubt even you'd be able to blindly pick it out versus 16-ga. in a well-made comparison using your equipment.

Another thing - I couldn't figure out why people, who are into high quality audio, would not even comment on a GTO cap being applied to a crossover.  This is a crossover cap that can do 1,500 Amperes peak

I know you didn't miss me touching on that since you remarked on my remark.  What makes that capacitor so much "faster" than any other more-reasonable-for-loudspeaker-crossover device?  Is there something magical about it?

46 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

It wasn't until recently, after three years of Mil Spec wire experimenting, that I worked-out the 12+12+14 ( 8 AWG ) combination to my satisfaction, December 2018...and it was great. 

What exactly is it about 'Mil Spec' that's so special?  Also, I'm curious how closely you matched the individual lengths of wire in each bundle.

This thread has all the early earmarks of being able to hit 100+ pages!

There is a place called asylum outside.  I know a guy from there---ptsd.  Mil spec means it is good enough for government work.  But more seriously, it is supposed to be able to perform in adverse environments.  If you aren't mil spec here (deep down inside) you will not survive.