Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

32 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Look up specs on a Fulton ( FMI ) Premiere, P-10 to P-13 models.  The published spec was 12 hZ- 80 khZ, but RWF used to regularly tell me, " this one measures out to 110 kHz."

He used about 7 AWG to the sub woofers in the enclosure, two 12s, slot loaded, in the early 1980s.

Fulton is out of business for a reason. Besides Hoffman's Law dictates that you can't operate any Direct Radiator Speaker with only 2 Watts to realistic levels.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:
50 minutes ago, glens said:

I think I can "see" where Jeff is coming from (not that I concur entirely).  You can be listening at a level of milliamps average level but a sudden transient would, for the instant, increase the level at a rate that, were it sustained, be amps, yet no so long as to raise the overall average appreciably.  And if there weren't a sufficient reservoir of electrons under pressure in the leads (like fuel in the line feeding the Corvette engine), the pressure might fall too far before the transient can be properly delivered, and the speaker would run lean on the peaks.

Does that about sum it up, Jeff?

Go read my math, which still refutes the claim, even with my +10 db "stupid loud" exaggeration.

Oh, I don't need to re-read your math.  I concur with both you and it.  My point was merely that I think I've identified the flaw in the other logic.

On another note, I did a search for "Fulton Speakers".  I'm not suggesting anything like having familiarity with even the vast minority of speaker manufacturers, but this thread introduced me to Fulton for the first time.

At any rate, Stereophile has an interesting 3 pages of 4 regarding some Fulton product.  The third page is the most fun, but they're short so don't just skip to it.  https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/0973fulton/index.html

Another result of the search was an ended sale at US Audio Mart.  The link for stereophile will likely be good for some time to come, but I fetched a few images off the Audio Mart page so they will be available from this server for this thread.  The speaker "system" is, I believe, mentioned in the stereophile material.

In the image of the crossover, I can't help but think the coils look an awful lot like items that could be purchased at AutoZone...

2068928-fulton-premier-modular-speaker-fmi.jpg

2068926-fulton-premier-modular-speaker-fmi.jpg

2068924-fulton-premier-modular-speaker-fmi.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Wrong reasoning sir.  Resultants filter down, from above where we hear, into the midrange, where we still hear acutely.   Jeff 

I looked up your Voice of the Theater system. Had those when I was 19 years old. Obsolete by any standard. This is a Klipsch forum and you are sounding more and more like a troll, sorry to say. 

3 minutes ago, glens said:

In the image of the crossover, I can't help but think the coils look an awful lot like items that could be purchased at AutoZone...

I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover. But then again, Klipsch AA network chokes don't look that pretty either, they just work.

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover. But then again, Klipsch AA network chokes don't look that pretty either, they just work.

Through the years I've installed (replaced) many starter relays that look strikingly similar to those units!  That was my point.  Certainly if they have the required values they should work for the purpose at hand, even if that's what they are.

imo, if one ignore's Jeff's use of: multiple bypassed caps in power supply and crossover,  composite heavy wiring to speakers, in the amp, in short runs in the crossover (-which seems to throw a lot of folks) and 2 watts is sufficient for most of their listening pleasure, then his amplifier approach (not all laid out here) is solid for fully horn loaded systems.  If I understand properly, that would be using single ended triode or triode connected output tube in class A with careful selection of operating point; filter chokes in the power supply with emphasis on low dcr (and not meeting Lcritical needed for choke input standards), no loop feedback, only one gain stage - and ideally if possible, connect that directly to the grid of the output tube to avoid any capacitor (this of course requires a higher B+ and the output tube's cathode will be well elevated above ground plus its biasing R bypassed with a cap).  That is about as simple of a tube amp that is practical and I'd expect one to sound better* within that limited power than some other approaches.  (* highly subjective !)   Of course paralleled triode or 300B would deliver more power.  His 2W amp is using a triode connected pentode and inexpensive output transformers.

In my day life, I’m a Network Engineer. I design LANs, and buy and work with a lot of Cisco gear. Customers always want a local segment that has more bandwidth than the backbone. They want 40Gig, but the backbone is 10Gig - and the proxies and firewalls are 1Gig. I tell them that they are wasting their money - just pushing their bottleneck further upstream. I tell them - “you’re connecting a firehose to a straw - please don’t do this.”

Capacitor leads are typically 20 AWG.

Here’s one for you - 8 AWG has a lot of electrons to excite. Doesn’t that just slow down the signal? 🙂

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Deang said:

Here’s one for you - 8 AWG has a lot of electrons to excite. Doesn’t that just slow down the signal?

Back in the day it was all about skin effect, doesn't 8 awg have a larger skin?  Do electrons really care?

I was walking in in the park one day......

7 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I do not much care about math proof, the proof of the pudding is IN the eating.

Jeff 

Ever bother counting your money?

吃电容器制成的布丁会让你发疯 🤣
 你比疯狂的虱子更疯狂 😁

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Here’s one for you - 8 AWG has a lot of electrons to excite. Doesn’t that just slow down the signal? 🙂

Depends on whether they are puddled latent energy electrons or active transit electrons. You also must consider the flavor.