Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

8 hours ago, karlson3 said:

sounded "different" - from the AlephJ

I had an Aleph J. I was convinced to try Class A with the 1969 circuit unit from a Chinese company. I loved the sound, but I didn't like the 200 Watt space heater that was part of the amp, so I sold it and went to Hypex, which sounds as good as Class A but with stupid good headroom at 400 W/channel while still giving me that "First Watt." Quality............end of the line for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, larryk said:

I time aligned my tweeter on top of my Cornwall and could notice a difference at 1/8" one way or the other.

This is a reasonable claim. However, this alignment is accurate for one point in space. Moving the listening position forward or backward a few inches can be used to fine tune the alignment once the tweeter is within +/- 1/8 inch.

6 hours ago, larryk said:

IMHO once you have heard a Cornwall with tweeter that has been time aligned you will never go back

This is also true for speakers besides a Cornwall.

11 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Facts can be MISAPPLIED. 

Facts can be misapplied, however in this particular case the facts as stated are correct.

11 hours ago, richieb said:

What sounds best to me is what really counts in my home . 

This is an opinion. Not only that, it is an uninformed opinion. Rest assured I will give your uninformed opinion all the consideration that it truly deserves.

11 hours ago, richieb said:

It starts with the amp.  

Huh? Another uninformed opinion.

1 minute ago, Don Richard said:

Facts can be misapplied, however in this particular case the facts as stated are correct.

This is an opinion. Not only that, it is an uninformed opinion. Rest assured I will give your uninformed opinion all the consideration that it truly deserves.

Huh? Another uninformed opinion.

=== “it starts with the amp”. Don, that wasn’t me but the amp builder Jeff. And yes, that is an uninformed opinion. I said it starts with the source and if the source feeds shitt to the amp then the amp produces said shitt.

4 hours ago, richieb said:

“it starts with the amp”. Don, that wasn’t me but the amp builder Jeff. And yes, that is an uninformed opinion. I said it starts with the source and if the source feeds shitt to the amp then the amp produces said shitt.

I must have pulled that quote by Jeff from you quoting him, and the forum software flaw will not allow me to edit the quote. Sorry about that, Those words are what Jeff wrote, and I completely agree with what you said about the source. 

Back to time alignment for a moment. The higher the crossover frequency, the shorter the wavelength and the smaller the "sweet spot" becomes. 

Time alignment does not have to be pinpoint - as long as the alignment is within 1/4 wavelength, you get coherent summation of the two wavefronts from the lower frequency transducer and the higher frequency transducer. As an example, at a 6000 Hz crossover frequency the wavelength is 2.26 inches so alignment within .565 inches works, but the sweet spot at the listening position is small. Now take the well designed Jubilee, a 2 way design with a crossover of about 400 Hz or thereabouts. The wavelength of a 400 Hz soundwave is 33.9 inches, and 1/4 wavelength is 8.475 inches. This results in a much larger sweet spot that does not require one's head to be clamped in a vise, and is an important factor in the high quality sound of the Jub.

Another great improvement is the MEH that Chris A has been working on and is also sold commercially by Danley Sound Labs as  Synergy Horns. There is no vertical separation of the drivers as they are all using the same horn, a design that results in a perfect point source within the radiation angle of the horn. The Jubilee and Chris's horn use digital crossovers and biamping while Danley's Synergy horns use a passive crossover. None of this is opinion, these are FACTS, except perhaps the exact crossover point for the Jubilee.

I thought I've been clear that for the level of critical listening I do anymore (virtually nil) my system more than meets my needs.  If I were to play with fine-tuning, however, my understanding of enough of the physics involved allows me to expect only what's possible and reasonable and not to waste time doing stupid shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm glad you're done.  I never said time-aligning has no merit.  Chasing a small fraction of an inch most certainly is utterly pointless unless one makes use of a listening-position head-restraint mechanism.  Large systems for large audiences is also quite different than what you're doing and the tolerances aimed for are reasonable for those large-room setups.  But that's (miniscule time alignment) hardly the wackiest thing you've claimed to do, Jeff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Marvel and larryk have reported hearing a difference in time alignment.  

I have modified and time aligned my Khorns, and there is indeed a positive difference due to time alignment.

12 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I can probably hear a finer increment because NONE of you guys have my amps and through-system wiring .

The probability of an amplifier and wiring enabling a person to detect time alignment to within 1/64 inch on a home stereo system is virtually nil. Moving your head less than one inch changes the time alignment more than that, so the amplifier and wiring is irrelevant with regard to the ability to hear such a difference.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Don Richard said:

I have modified and time aligned my Khorns, and there is indeed a positive difference due to time alignment.

I don't think that anyone is debating the fact that moving a tweeter a foot or so will make some sort of difference.  It's probably one of the few morsels of truth in this cornucopia of BS.

• Haha 2

There is nothing wrong in the fact that our Jeffry is willing to experiment, That is part of what this whole thing is about, making changes to find the best sound to you with ones setup.

But here is the rub with our Jeffery - the claims he can hear changes with things like a wire has to be 57 3/8" (just a random number I picked) in the audio range of 20-20k hz is ridicules. Or to claim to clearly detect a different direction of a cap inserted in an alternating current circuit and of course the 8awg wire fiasco too.  Just to name a few.

Yea, there is nothing wrong trying different things but our Jeffery's claims defy logic, science & mathematical facts. 

7 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Time alignment of two drivers, a woofer and a tweeter, has been around since the 1940s.  Both Professional movie theatre speaker systems I have used ( RCA and ALTEC )  allow for this in their designs. Several Klipsch Forum Members in this thread,  besides myself, have reported herein this thread on its benefits, when applied to their own speaker systems.   I rest my case.  Am done.

Jeff Medwin

So you are leaving us?

Time alignment of two drivers, a woofer and a tweeter, has been around since the 1940s.  Both Professional movie theatre speaker systems I have used ( RCA and ALTEC )  allow for this in their designs. Several Klipsch Forum Members in this thread,  besides myself, have reported herein this thread on its benefits, when applied to their own speaker systems.   I rest my case.  Am done.

Jeff Medwin

No one is saying there is no such thing. The issue is where reality is and your fiction starts.  

• Like 1