Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards ??

Kreg

18 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Yea, we all know how much nylon will interfere with magnetic fields.

Actually caps store energy in an electric field, inductors in a magnetic field, but yea it won't make a dimes worth of difference.

4 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

Jeff - do you mean "distort" the field by physically squeezing the cap's body?  - I think the ties the way Dean uses them are just "hoops" to hold things in place - maybe with a strip of foam underneath the capacitor.

No it is like magnetism only it's plastictism and their fields interfere with each other. You can avoid this by standing the capacitor up on it's end so the cable tie is used at a 90 degree angle relative to the capacitor and the fields cancel each other out. #3 told me this.

• Like 1

Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

No Alexander, everything I post, I have done and heard.   

I have never claimed I can HEAR the difference between 57 1/8 th and one meter.  But that length was derived in a EE's Lab, who knew what the heck he was doing and measuring, back in the 1970s.  About 2016 I had a friend, a Manufacturer, with a State of the Art audio system, tell me he experimented with different wire lengths, and indeed, the length I told him, 57 1/8 th , sounded BEST to him.  So, I have my confirmation, by a different source, using a different method,  four decades later !! 

It is common knowledge that film caps sound different ( in a GOOD system ) depending upon their orientation. Any good audiophile knows this.   

If Dean wants to be "for hire", charge people to make crossovers, and be oblivious to this, AND use tie wraps around film cap bodies to disturb their fields, be my guest in having that to listen through that.  You obtain what you deserve.  But there IS a better way.

The trio of 12+12+14 AWG Mil Spec wire, which is the equivalent of 8 AWG,..... MADE my audio system FLY .  Its common sense, peak currents, etc etc.  Gee, another Manufacturer, Steve Deckert, DECWARE, unknown to me until very recently, uses the same exact wire Type ( Mil Spec) as a single 8 AWG wire.  Read his comments, about the last 20 years he has been using this wire, right here : http://www.decware.com/newsite/speakercables.htm

What I post herein, honestly,  WORKS on my system,.  Your use and reliance  of " logic, science & mathematical facts " leads you to mediocre results for audio playback in your home.  If you can't see it, or won't accept my reports at face value, there is no way I can help you !!  There will be a few of you, maybe only 1%, who will take me at face value and give my experiments a try in their system.  That is fine with me, I post for them to advance their audio performance levels. 

Jeffery,

Some of the things you make claim do in fact exist and are real – BUT and here is the big BUT - they only apply in theory at the frequency range of the (perfect) human ear of 20-20k Hz. You, our favored Jeffry, are showing more and more how far you are out of touch with reality.

Isn't it funny that without this 'nonsense of logic, science and mathematics' that the entire electronics industry would have never been born in the first place.

I should add, there is nothing wrong with thinking out side of the box - but you still have to understand where the box is.

• Like 2

Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

It is common knowledge that film caps sound different ( in a GOOD system ) depending upon their orientation. Any good audiophile knows this. 

In a DC circuit like say a power supply or amp where the outer foil connection can help shield noise yes. But in an alternating current circuit there is NO polarity. And we are talking about crossover network circuits and they are AC not DC.  

Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

What I post herein, honestly,  WORKS on my system,.  Your use and reliance  of " logic, science & mathematical facts " leads you to mediocre results for audio playback in your home.  If you can't see it, or won't accept my reports at face value, there is no way I can help you !!  There will be a few of you, maybe only 1%, who will take me at face value and give my experiments a try in their system.  That is fine with me, I post for them to advance their audio performance levels.

Honestly the apposite best way I see for you to help ANY audiophile at any level would be for you to keep all of your B.S. to yourself. That way you would not be sending people out on a wild goose chase with bogus information saveing them both time and money.

But I bet you have heard all of this before, right our Jeffery?

23 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

...and he said, “You don’t have a psychiatrist “.

Big deal.  My neighbor came over at TWO-THIRTY last night banging on my door! 

Man, if I weren't already up playing my drums I would have been really mad.

• Like 3

… o O (why is there, what look's like blue painter masking tape, on your inductor's ???) AND the solder job on the yellow wire to the red thing's is not pretty, but I do see a similar yellow diagram (not to be mistaken for yellow wire) highlighting the green wire's.... perhaps purple is in order....

fwiw, in (custom & prototype) tube preamplifier, Bruce Moore and Scott Frankland preferred a 3d point to point "rats nest" of capacitors and resistors to mounting on a circuit board.  I see the short ground buss terminating right between the input jacks and assume it ties to the chassis right in front of those two jacks (?)  Is it good practice also to star ground everything to one bolt on the chassis with eye lugs on each ground wire (and stacked on that bolt)?  Is star grounding useful in a crossover layout?