The Klipsch Audio Community
Kreg

Orientation of capacitors outer foil in a klipsch type B crossover.

Hello, I have purchased some new capacitors for a pair of Klipsch type B crossovers. I am looking for advise as to how to install the caps so that the outer foil is connected correctly in the crossover.

Thanks,

Kreg

Edited by Kreg

From one of THE best audio parts supplies I know Of, Michael Percy :

All film capacitors are directional in as much as one lead of the capacitor is attached to the innermost foil and the other lead to the outer foil layer. There is a small audible difference to be heard, depending on which direction any film capacitor is oriented in a particular circuit. There is some disagreement as to the preferred orientation from user to user, and manufacturer to manufacturer. The most logical suggestion is to attach the outer foil lead closest to ground, thereby taking advantage of the inherent shielding of the outermost foil, but this may not necessarily sound best to you. The manufacturer of the Hovland capacitors suggest that the outer foil be at the source side in coupling applications or at the highest potential in power supplies, opposite to what one might expect. The manufacturer of the Wonder Cap/InfiniCaps/DynamiCaps has recommended both orientations depending on the particular vintage. Experiment and see which orientation you prefer.

In order to determine which lead is outer, and which is inner foil, we use the following procedure for capacitors that are not marked to identify which is which. First, establish a good signal source. We use a signal generator supplying a 1K sine wave at about 15 volts, but you could use almost any combination of equipment that will output some kind of relatively steady low frequency signal. A CD player with a test CD playing a steady tone into a preamp turned to full output probably would work very well. You will also need a voltmeter with  reasonably sensitive AC measuring capability. Attach test leads from the plus and minus output of your signal source to the two leads of your capacitor. Next wrap a wide piece of copper braid, any type of conductive material, even multiple turns of wire, around the body of the capacitor, assuring intimate contact over most of the capacitor surface. Take just the hot lead of your voltmeter and attach it to the braid or wire wrapped several turns around the capacitor (voltmeter ground lead is not attached to anything). Note the reading you get on your voltmeter. Now reverse the connection to the capacitor leads from your signal source and note the new reading. Whichever reading was highest indicates that the plus lead from your signal source was attached to the outer foil lead of your capacitor. You are just inductively measuring the strength of the signal on the outer foil of your capacitor. That's it!

Michael Percy Audio

262 Back Road

Brooklin, ME 04616

www.percyaudio.com

mpercy@mac.com

(207) 359-2049

Jeff Medwin

I gotta say that for a loudspeaker crossover it's totally immaterial.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, glens said:

Unless one is super picky. Then, cutting the value in half, and using them in parallel with one going one way and one going the other way, using the text as a guide, is a good compromise.

That text is talking about use inside an amplifier where induced noise might be problematic.

• Like 1

Like Glens said, zero issue with a crossover, but the OCD part of me makes sure they’re oriented the same on both boards - even though I know it doesn’t make any difference. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Unless one is super picky. Then, cutting the value in half, and using them in parallel with one going one way and one going the other way, using the text as a guide, is a good compromise.

Rats, I've always aligned the caps so that you could read the text from one side, just seemed kind of neater.

The outer foil connected to lowest potential is a RF practice. Makes no difference at audio frequencies.

3 minutes ago, boom3 said:

The outer foil connected to lowest potential is a RF practice. Makes no difference at audio frequencies.

As PWK might have said: "Not a dime's worth of difference."   However, it is measurable, if not audible. What might be audible is the reduction of ESR with the parallel connection. Who knows for sure?

Thanks every one!

Sounds like the orientation of where outer foil is connected is not audible. I will install the caps in the same direction in both crossovers.

Regards, Kreg

17 hours ago, glens said:

Maybe in your experience when listening to your system, that is the case.  You are welcome to report that.  I do not deny your right to share, from your own perspective, and I thank you for posting !! 

My direct listening experience - with " world-class " amps ( my own, DIY,  but some one else's description ) ,  superb system wiring ( mostly the equivalent of 8 AWG throughout , with much silver content ) , and excellent high efficiency speakers - allows me to sense polarity differences whenever and wherever I use a film cap.   

I sense this in any of my amp's "C" positions or certainly, in my speaker crossovers.

Please notice the matching black Magic-Marker  "dots" on each small film cap in the photo below???  That is a polarity indicator as my reference. I listen to each cap both ways, before soldering it in permanently.

Well, have fun, I do !!

Jeff 

P1010078.JPG

• Like 1

How do you determine polarity? Where are you sourcing coils?

9 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

Rats, I've always aligned the caps so that you could read the text from one side, just seemed kind of neater.

I always orient text with signal flow. Does not make it right or wrong. With film caps in a crossover it is either OCD or cosmetics.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Four!!

Not right now, at least.  I'm tempted but am sleepy.  For now I'll just go with "Uh; okay."

Crap, it’s “fore”, not “four” ... 

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Crap, it’s “fore”, not “four” ... 

Does shooting golf balls with a potato gun count?

34 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Does shooting golf balls with a potato gun count?

Isn't that how everyone plays?