BBB - Bass Bin Build with Zebrawood

rplace

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, rplace said:

Good eyes. Colnogo C-40 is probably the most iconic. There are a couple of Pinarellos, a custom Gunnar that was once my commuter now gravel bike, even an old Kestrel SC200 that I turned into a Fixie. All the Italians have Campagnolo parts while the Gunnar is SRAM. What you riding? Tell me more about the Oris. Active XO? What are you using for bass bins?

I ride a Specialized Roubaix with Sram eTap. I have always lusted after Italian builds with Campy grouppo's. I have Fostex drivers in my Oris 200 horns. They are currently not set up. I am looking to upgrade drivers (Tang Band maybe?) I used to run them with a simple passive crossover to my Cornwall's K33. The future plans are to build some Jubilee clone bass bins and run Xilica active crossover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

I ride a Specialized Roubaix with Sram eTap. I have always lusted after Italian builds with Campy grouppo's. I have Fostex drivers in my Oris 200 horns. They are currently not set up. I am looking to upgrade drivers (Tang Band maybe?) I used to run them with a simple passive crossover to my Cornwall's K33. The future plans are to build some Jubilee clone bass bins and run Xilica active crossover.

Dejavu, seems like we may have had this conversation before with respect to Oris drivers. My memory is suspect ;-) I had Tang Bands; and for the money I think the Audio Nirvana is a much better driver. A lot more detail, very airy and crisp. The TBs were not bad by any means, but having the ability to have both in my room for an extended period of time and try with lots of different music the Audio Nirvana drivers were the clear winner....to me. I've yet to hear Lowther or AER in them.

Sounds like a parallel path of sorts. I'd like to eventually get a Jubilee 2-way and figured I'd cut my teeth on the active XO with the Oris and see if I wanted to play around with all the settings. I like the control and learning what does what, but I'm lacking in time to devote to it. I've run them without XO, simple DSP on a Crown amp so bass bins got the low wherever I set it and now Xilica. Xilica does give them what I thought was lacking in other configurations. I was reluctant but I did sell my Khorns after about 6-7 months with the Oris. If at all close I think I'd pounce on some Jube bass bins if I ever see them. Eyes peeled!

How do you like the eTap? I'm very much digging my Sram. I've got the 1X11 set up and really like not having a front derailleur. They are doing some innovative things with their gearing and 12s set ups. I like them a lot. As for Campy I've been hooked since the 80s and the C-Record group. I don't think I'll ever own a Ferrari but an Italian frame and components is pretty special. If you are inclined I strongly suggest it. Hard to explain, but I don't believe it is all in your head. There is something about a true Italian bike. I've had a few in steel and carbon.