Sixes?

Bosco-d-gama

The Mrs does stained glass and has taken command of our garage. Currently we’re running a Bose wave radio (from her prior marriage) and she’s not real happy with that sound having been introduced my audio gear. She wants better sound. Like most of us I do own extra amps, etc but I do not have any speakers that’ll go where these must be placed. There are size limits and everything must be on remote control as she is ‘smallish’ and the rig will be ‘tall-ish’. 

I am intrigued by the Klipsch ‘sixes’. We have a 50 cd carousel player with an optical output that should direct connect to the speakers, plus we own several Bluetooth enabled sources. This would allow me to not lug ‘tons’ of amp gear to elevation and should be adequate for its purposes. But - I have read that the built-in amp on the ‘sixes’ is considered so-so. Looking for some feedback on this issue. Wondering also if Klipsch is planning updated products in this arena. Any help would be much appreciated.

Funny you mention the Wave. I know a couple people who have and enjoy them. One is a younger guy who wanted an all in one, the other are a retired couple who downsized. That might be a market worth exploring with a Three which has a radio and CD player built in, a Three Point Five or something along those lines. That is something I would purchase for my office.

On Bob's, @BEC, recommendation,  my son purchased a pair of The Sixes.  He's quite pleased.  They sound excellent to me. The remote and Bluetooth should suit your wife's needs.

It's my understanding the amp is class D.  I've read less than glowing reviews of the phono input, but I'm unaware of criticism of the amp.

I also recommended them to a musician friend. He too loves them.  He was able to buy a new pair from Amazon that included an Audio Technica turntable and cartridge for the usual price of the The Sixes alone.

Steve Huff wrote an extensive review of the Sixes: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/klipsch-the-sixes-speaker-review-mid-fi-at-its-finest/

He certainly isn't happy with the phono stage, and also the bluetooth is so-and-so.

Connecting your cd player optically (or digitally) should give an amazing sound, though.

Edit: I just found out there is an amazing price drop at amazon. The Sixes are now only $599.

The sixes sound incredible, especially when you consider their size.  They were one of the highlights (to me) last time I went to Hope.  Very impressive.  That said, I probably wouldn't buy a pair until I see a better track record from Klipsch's electronics.  Amplifiers and support seem to be the weak link in a lot of their new products from what I've read.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 2:19 PM, LeftEyeShooter said:

Steve Huff wrote an extensive review of the Sixes: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/klipsch-the-sixes-speaker-review-mid-fi-at-its-finest/

He certainly isn't happy with the phono stage, and also the bluetooth is so-and-so.

Connecting your cd player optically (or digitally) should give an amazing sound, though.

Edit: I just found out there is an amazing price drop at amazon. The Sixes are now only $599.

I own the sixes and can attest that both the bluetooth and phono are horrible. The 3.5mm audio input is surprisingly good. I use the Schiit Mani for my phono stage and it sounds wonderful.

Bottom line in my opinion - you might be disappointed in the bluetooth but the amp itself drives the speakers nicely for the pricepoint and the multiple sources are convenient.

Edited by strorg
corrected phono from phone
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Bosco-d-gama  Did you decide yet ??  I've been listening to my Sixes for the last few months.  These are my first and only powered speakers and are my 'working away from home' speakers since all I need with them is my macbook and a 5 meter AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable.  Haven't tried the phono input and don't plan on it.  The Bluetooth connects effortlessly but is a slightly noticeable downgrade from the USB connection.  The 100 wpc amp seems to produce very clean, powerful music with great headroom and sound stage.  I've found the bass to be substantial and clean and only  slightly boomy dependent on type of music being played at louder levels but find no need or desire to add a sub. As with all quality speakers the most crucial element is high quality source input.  The onboard DAC may not be a top shelf contender in the world of DAC's but has proven to be a vast improvement over my laptop or smart phone.  I unfortunately paid more than $599 through Crutchfield but I've always enjoyed their personalized services.  All in all I've recommended the 'Sixes' to several friends.  Just my .02 cents worth. 

Appreciate the input. Have yet to make any decisions. Still fighting old man winter, etc........  I am kinda thinking about getting some Forte III’s for the bedroom and putting my JBL 4311’s in the garage. It is a lot more $ and a ton more weight to move about - procrastination settles in. 🤔

4311s vs. Forte IIIs.  Hmm...  I'd like to hear that comparison.  I've always been fond of those JBLs, very much so, but I haven't heard a pair in decades.  I'm now running some current Fortes and consider them the best money I've ever spent on speakers.

• 3 weeks later...