Tube Preamp Opinion with Khorns Please

JRS94

I have '79 Khorns with original woofers, Crites Type A crossover, AG 55G and CT 120's. A 2006 Solid State Legacy Powerbloc 600 amp. I am looking to buy a tube preamp. Considerring;  Audio by Van Alstine T10 SLR or FET Valve CFR,  or,  Vincent Audio SA-T7.  Both Companies look like great gear, and are fairly close in price. Anyone have experience with either or a recommendation? Thanks.

What is the reason for choosing a tube pre over a solid state? If you are looking for a warm tube sound, you may not get it with just a tube pre driving a ss amp.I have both tube pre and amp on one system, and ss pre and tube amp on another. Not hearing a lot of difference between the pre's, but I do hear a bigger difference between a tube amp and a ss amp.

2 hours ago, kevinmi said:

What is the reason for choosing a tube pre over a solid state? If you are looking for a warm tube sound, you may not get it with just a tube pre driving a ss amp.I have both tube pre and amp on one system, and ss pre and tube amp on another. Not hearing a lot of difference between the pre's, but I do hear a bigger difference between a tube amp and a ss amp.

Just starting to get back into 2 channel after years away, I need a preamp so I am starting with a tube set, if I'm not happy with the sound from the tube pre and the SS amp I will update the amp too. One thing at a time. Simple as that. i'm leaning toward the Vincent SA T-7. Next step will be to restore/replace the old Dual Turntable. 

1 minute ago, JRS94 said:

Just starting to get back into 2 channel after years away, I need a preamp so I am starting with a tube set, if I'm not happy with the sound from the tube pre and the SS amp I will update the amp too. One thing at a time. Simple as that. i'm leaning toward the Vincent SA T-7. Next step will be to restore/replace the old Dual Turntable. 

In my journey down the tube road, I had several different tube preamps. What I ran across was that some cheaper units I had experienced a bit of hum.Also watch out for "hybrid" preamps that are nothing but solid state preamps with a tube buffer added. If you are going to spin vinyl, I'd look into a unit with a tubed phono section. I really enjoy mine

Good luck on your journey!

The best "sounding" preamp I ever heard with Khorns was an Audio Research SP6.

I sold that and bought an Audio Research SP6A. Mistake. I had that upgraded to a SP6B (still a mistake) which I still have and use for phono only.

To this day I wish I had the ARC SP back. Definitely not "accurate", but boy could it make the Khorns "sing" (with Luxman MB3045 (still have those too)

• Like 1

Quicksilver Line Stage Preamp and Quicksilver Phono Stage (if you do vinyl).

Or find a used Quicksilver Full Function Preamp.

Other used preamps to consider:

Audio Research SP3A-1, SP6B.

CJ PV12, PV5.

Audible Illusions M3D.

Any of these will sound wonderful when matched to a compatible amp on your Klipsch speakers.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2019 at 3:31 PM, artto said:

The best "sounding" preamp I ever heard with Khorns was an Audio Research SP6.

I sold that and bought an Audio Research SP6A. Mistake. I had that upgraded to a SP6B (still a mistake) which I still have and use for phono only.

To this day I wish I had the ARC SP back. Definitely not "accurate", but boy could it make the Khorns "sing" (with Luxman MB3045 (still have those too)

I sold my ARC SP14 last year. It was ok but as a hybrid with a 6DJ8 as I recall it was amazingly quiet but a little cold. Bought a top of the line Furman with the proceeds. Conrad Johnson PV is quiet and just a little warm. Much better soundstage ,attack and decay. I am just a 12AX7 guy. Maybe someday I find a HH Scott preamp for s reasonable price. Recent prices are a bit over the top.

• Like 1

• Moderators

One question please.......since the OP is looking to try a tube pre and ss amps...................I know nothing about tubes.

A few years ago someone here told me if either the pre or amp would be tubes and the other SS, it was a bigger difference if the pre was tubes.  Is this true ?

16 hours ago, dtel said:

One question please.......since the OP is looking to try a tube pre and ss amps...................I know nothing about tubes.

A few years ago someone here told me if either the pre or amp would be tubes and the other SS, it was a bigger difference if the pre was tubes.  Is this true ?

For phono stage perhaps. In my limited experience I never met a SS phono stage I was crazy about.

• Like 1

I just ordered a tube preamp from Aric~Audio, seems to be alot of great reviews and most of his stuff can be customized. I went with his Unlimited preamp with an upgraded  volume pot. It will be feeding a First watt F6 clone to my Forte IIs w Crites. I'll let you know my impressions when it comes, currently using a passive Luminous Audio Axiom II.

• Like 1