My new listening room/artist's studio

Ray_pierrewit

On 2/21/2019 at 11:55 AM, Schu said:

Mine are pointed just BEHIND my main LP... with distance behind my listening position I find that is generally the widest and most airy presentation  while maintaining a solid pinpoint center image... it's quite good. It also alleviates some of the fatigue one experiences when listening on axis with horned speakers. I never sit on axis.

I feel the same as Schu on this. Imaging stll excellent with a wider sweet spot.

Beautiful room. We keep our house in Georgia at 68-69 in the Winter, a little warmer in the summer. When my wife first arrived from the Philippines, she almost froze when the house was 74.

Haven't been able to find the time to upload more pictures, trust me, they'll come!

I've since repositioned the speakers tucked in at 45deg angles. They crossover a couple of feet in front of me, yes. They look a little funny (especially in photos with the forced perspective and all), yes. Yet, I think I prefer them like this.

Now here is where my limited abilities to describe what I'm hearing become REALLY evident... I'll try my best. When I had them firing slightly behind me, the soundscape widened a little but it felt slightly thinner. Playing Ry Cooder's Paris, Texas soundtrack on vinyl (a go to album for me when testing new setups, especially good for MID/HIs, ambience, micro-dynamics and tone) all the detail was there, impeccable and exiting. Yet, even after several listens, it seemed to me like the guitar strings were, for lack of a better term, without body. Almost as though they were being plucked out of the ether (in and of itself and interesting effect, admittedly). Placed at 45deg angles I lose very little, if any, of the soundscape width. They still image beautifully with a steady, focused center image, but with the (subjective) sensation of the body of the guitar, which I feel is important.

Now a question, I've applied as much of the PWK 8 card as well as lots of advice from the Dope from Hope articles as I feasibly could (can't set them up on the long wall, so that's out of the question). I'm so thrilled with the results thus far that I (blindly) trust Klipsch's insights, even if they appear a little... dogmatic, perhaps even antiquated. Now, before going any further inasmuch as upgrading to Jubscalas or stacked pro speakers (which I can easily see sometime in the future), how much better would my setup be with a bridged center LaScala (as per rule number 7)? Are my speakers far enough apart to warrant a center channel? Some sharp-eyed member doubted that they are 16ft appart, they are actually more like 183" appart :).

I may be able to get my hands on a pair locally, with the same AA xovers. The third one could serve as a mono speaker elsewhere, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thoughts??

27 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

Now, before going any further inasmuch as upgrading to JubScalas or stacked pro speakers (which I can easily see sometime in the future), how much better would my setup be with a bridged center LaScala (as per rule number 7)? Are my speakers far enough apart to warrant a center channel?

The addition of center La Scala will lock in the stereo image wherever you happen to be standing in the room, and will increase clarity quite a bit. 

And yes, your speakers are definitely far enough apart to warrant a center, IME.

Chris