Palladium P-38F

Frozmeister

1 minute ago, Frozmeister said:

Do any of you fine folks own P-38F Palladium speakers?   I found a pair of P-38F for sale at an attractive price.  Any opinions on the sound?  

I think they sound spectacular. They have a tremendous low end, clear highs, but I think the mids are the most impressive part of these speakers. They do like plenty of clean power though. They are also extremely nice looking also. They excel in both 2 channel and home theater, they blend well with the center and sub.

Just curious, what kind of price are you considering?

21 minutes ago, Frozmeister said:

Guys,

Thanks for the opinions.  A Klipsch dealer had them squirreled away, very probably his warehouse guys lost them amongst all the other stuff.  $5500 for the pair.  New in the boxes.

That's about the same price Klipsch had on closeout a couple years ago. Pretty good deal. They are getting hard to find, especially in the boxes. 

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

Not to hijack this thread. But for those of you have heard both, would you pick a Palladium over a Khorn? All things being equal of course, and if you had the proper room for klipschorns.

They’re different animals so I think it depends on what you’ve got going on. I’ve had P39s and P37s and have heard my share of Khorns. The Palladium’s need way more power to come alive but even then don’t have that “live” sound. Very nice and I love them but no khorn or even a LaScala II for that matter.

To me, the Ps are a cross between Reference and Heritage sound wise. I’ll never get rid of mine. Short of moving in to Del Boca Vista Phase 2 I will keep those and my LS2s until death.

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Not to hijack this thread. But for those of you have heard both, would you pick a Palladium over a Khorn? All things being equal of course, and if you had the proper room for klipschorns.

There are 3 or 4 forum members on here that have both, and 3 of those commented about how they all preferred the Palladium over the Khorn. 

10 hours ago, Schu said:

What finish OP?

I am still slightkky surprised that we don't see more of these for sale on the secondary market.

This is why you don't see them for sale on the secondary market, at a guess:

1 hour ago, wstrickland1 said:

To me, the Ps are a cross between Reference and Heritage sound wise. I’ll never get rid of mine.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

NO, I wouldn't

Jubes

No, I wouldn't 

Heard a direct comparison with both other speakers, same room.

Just my choice, when in the right seating position there good, move from there and it's not the same as the other two.

I have a pair of Palladium P-37F and the matching P-312W subwoofer in espresso finish.   IMO the P-37F needs the subwoofer.   My Oppo UDP-205 universal player provides the crossover for the sub, so that the low frequencies are off-loaded from the main amp and speakers.  (I have the UDP-205's crossover set at 100Hz, with the filter configured as "apodizing fast".)  I use tube amps (Scott 399, McIntosh MC225, Fisher 800B, Fisher X-1000, Scott 299C, McIntosh MC240) for music (classical and opera), and a solid-state amp (NAD C375BEE) for movies.  In my 12' x 13' x 8' listening room, even a 7189 PP tube amp (approx 18 wpc) has adequate power for most music.    For music with high dynamic range, such as hi-res recordings of large scale orchestral music, 30 wpc of tube power works well.  This system sounds great for both music and movies.

A major distinction of the Palladium line is the beautiful design, and beautiful exotic veneer. 

If you want great sound and premium appearance, I strongly recommend the Palladium tower speakers.   I'm not sure if the P-38F will need a sub - it will likely depend on your music, your room, and your ears.   If you can find the matching  P-312W subwoofer, I would get it.   The P-312W subwoofer looks 10x better than any sub I've seen.  It's a work of art.  And it has a very useful remote control.

If you're not concerned with premium appearance, and you need tower speakers (i.e., your room can't accommodate Klipschorn or La Scala), you might also consider the RF-7III.  (I own RF-7II, and they sound great with tube amps, and only need a subwoofer for extreme low frequencies such as pipe organ.)

I've heard both... my preference is Heritage (Klipschorn, la Scala II) by far. That's just a personal preference.

HOWEVER, if there were a pair of 39's available in espresso at a really good price I would get them as a collectable.

2 hours ago, robert_kc said:

I have a pair of Palladium P-37F and the matching P-312W subwoofer in espresso finish.   IMO the P-37F needs the subwoofer.  

A major distinction of the Palladium line is the beautiful design, and beautiful exotic veneer. 

If you want great sound and premium appearance, I strongly recommend the Palladium tower speakers.   I'm not sure if the P-38F will need a sub - it will likely depend on your music, your room, and your ears.   If you can find the matching  P-312W subwoofer, I would get it.   The P-312W subwoofer looks 10x better than any sub I've seen.  It's a work of art.  And it has a very useful remote control.

I have P-38Fs in a 24'x23' room and they sound wonderful, and fills the room nicely. They sound so good for music, I didn't think they needed a sub. I got a P-312 sub mostly for movies, but will admit the sub REALLY helped with music also. The sub gives an incredible punch, sometimes it feels like a kick drum is in the room!

• Like 1