QSC amp for mains?

ACV92

Just curious if any of you use QSC pro amps to run your mains.  I've been wanting to put more power/control to the 5.5's.  A guy locally is asking $175 for a barely used QSC GX3.  Don't know if it's worth a shot.  I'm currently running a Marantz SR 8002 AVR to run them.  Marantz is rated at 125 per channel.  QSC is 300 per channel, or there about.  My question is sound quality.  Would the old Marantz sound better than the QSC?  The 8002 would become the pre for now.  Thoughts are appreciated.

9 hours ago, ACV92 said:

Just curious if any of you use QSC pro amps to run your mains.  I've been wanting to put more power/control to the 5.5's.  A guy locally is asking $175 for a barely used QSC GX3.  Don't know if it's worth a shot.  I'm currently running a Marantz SR 8002 AVR to run them.  Marantz is rated at 125 per channel.  QSC is 300 per channel, or there about.  My question is sound quality.  Would the old Marantz sound better than the QSC?  The 8002 would become the pre for now.  Thoughts are appreciated.

I'd pass.  If you want to run QSC on your mains look for a PLX or PLX2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2019 at 12:21 AM, ACV92 said:

In my experience there's not much difference between modern solid state amplifiers. 

If you measure them, you'll find low distortion on HiFi amps but there is not a really audible difference, at least with a non hi-end speakers. 

But this area has a lot of controversy and it's really hard to debate about it without fighting. The only thing that is well know on engineering is about having a amp with plenty of power. Since music is a complex signal with a lot of short therm peaks, is good to have a amp capable to reproduce them without clipping. 

The thumb rule says that if you want to get the most power of your speakers without chance of clipping you have to get an amp with 4x the power of speaker. Of course it only valid if you really wants to reach the maximum SPL levels. 

If you listen music at normal levels, spending money on high power amps is just a waste. 

49 minutes ago, Caio Ferrari said:

In my experience there's not much difference between modern solid state amplifiers. 

I've experienced just the opposite (with pro amps).  To me it's evident when you start to push them a bit.

I use QSC PLX2 amps on bass cabinets and subs.  but I was not satisfied with them on the top end in active systems nor for use with passive networks due to the top end.  They are just not as resolving as better amps.  I have a Crown XLS 2002 that easily bests the QSC amps for every application I have tried it on.  It is a class D with plenty of power.  You could get away with one of those on the mains and probably be happy.  Decent amount of detail.