How much homework do your kids get?

juniper

On 2/21/2019 at 6:39 AM, juniper said:

Was lucky enough to take my boy to Barcelona for a soccer tryout/ camp. I was shocked that after almost 2 weeks of homework and class work missed, he only had about 7 hours of work to do when we got back..In your experience is this normal? He's only in the fifth grade and has been in a immersion school since he was 5, am I being over critical? Just doesn't seem like its enough work. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here in NC they use Homework as a bargaining chip when the teachers want something.  2 years ago they put an article in the local paper and on the news. The teachers were not going to hand out homework if they failed to get X.  As silly as that sounds homework doesn't even get graded. The teachers just make sure the students do it once a week typically Thursdays 

My Opinion on schools here is they are WAY behind on teaching what kids can actually use in this new digital age. 

5 hours ago, DavidR said:

they come back the next class acting as if I taught a German lesson instead of one on regular polygons.

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Isn't German a polygonal language?

I think it's an irregular polygonal language.

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

When we grew up and went to school
There were certain teachers who would
Hurt the children any way they could

By pouring their derision
Upon anything we did
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

But out in the middle of nowhere
When they got home at night, their fat and
Psycopathic wives would thrash them
Within inches of their lives

We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone

Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!

That song was banned in South Africa a few decades ago, because students would chant it while marching in demonstrations against the government.  I don’t remember if the ban had any effect.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 10:53 AM, Max2 said:

I have a just turned 5 year old and he gets the usual writing of Cap and small case letters of Alphabet weekly and writing numbers out from 0-100.  They have been doing this for a year now and just started multiplication which he is doing quite well with.  Don't get me wrong, we play hard, but if things are idle, I pull out more of the same and have him get to it.  On weekends I breaks out the paint and canvas and let him do exactly what he wants.  Im not going to count on any school system in these early years and he will definitely learn cursive writing if I have to teach him myself, which likely will be.  The boy is going to have a signature and hopefully better penmanship that his pops.

Multiplication at age 5?  I’m impressed!  Usually it isn’t taught until Grade 4 or so, but maybe things have changed in the 50 years since I graduated.  I hope he’s learning conventional multiplication (and division, if he’s learning that, too), rather than the “New Math”, as it used to be called.  Since he was two years younger than me, my brother was two grades behind me, and his was the first year to start New Math, so he’d have spent his whole time in high school learning that system.   It made little sense to me then, needlessly complicating everything, and my opinion hasn’t changed since then.

This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that New Math, or Common Core, as it’s called in the US these days, tries so hard to dumb down simple math that it makes it far more complicated instead, teaching needlessly cumbersome methods of solving basic problems.

• Like 1

Math only makes sense if you are solving real problems for yourself, i.e., when there is a practical reason.

For example, I started relearning trig while working out the angles for cutting pieces for a horn cabinet build.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 7:05 PM, BigStewMan said:

it had been a year -- figured you all had made santa’s naughty list and deserved a visit from me as punishment. hope living the life of green acres is finding you well.

The goats tremble when they see him coming, and the chickens run to the city.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...