Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
juniper

How much homework do your kids get?

Recommended Posts

I remember when "NewMath" came out. Folks were no help. They could give the right answer, but not by the method wanted.

 there is something way different now. Wife was reading some problems her kids have. Had me scratching my head. I was pretty good at math.

 

  I'm on the fence about homework. Like, did ya know that there is academics in kindergarten now? Most of our homework got done in study hall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the libertarian approach to pedagogy and child-rearing in this aspect. If we talk about education, then I have one important question for you and I will be very grateful to you for your help. Has anyone encountered writing dissertation in university? Will I be able to write this statement myself or should I turn to professionals, for example to UK dissertation writing service https://uk.edubirdie.com/dissertation-writing-service, in order to make my personal paper as structured, high-quality and professionally written as possible?

Edited by JonathanBrown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • When I went to elementary school, the only homework we got was to learn our spelling words and to practice whatever we were learning in math.  When the teachers were real spellbinders, we learned a lot.  When they were not, we didn't, but I don't think homework would have helped, and due to resentment, it may have hurt.  I learned "carry the one" from a Donald Duck supplemental book.  We had great history lessons taught in the form of stories, good educational record albums (78 rpm, at first), good movies, and field trips (nature preserves, a natural history museum, an art museum, the naval air station, a milk treatment and bottling factory, a photographic expedition, a downtown theater where we saw a marvelously colorful film of Queen Elizabeth's Coronation, a symphony concert, UC Berkeley, Mills College, where I bought a Fun with Chemistry age appropriate book, then anointed the high ceiling of our brand new school building with backing soda and vinegar in an experiment gone wrong.  Some of this stuff was unforgettable -- and that's the point). 
  • I could cover jr. high and high school, but I don't have time.  Suffice it to say that we didn't have significant homework until the 9th grade.
  • I must mention Paul Goodman's determination that it would cost no more per student than it does in a conventional school (in NYC) to form teams of one master teacher, and two college student or grad school interns (for academic credit) for every 7 students, and use the city as a classroom.  Home base would be donated storefronts, or even the occasional parent home.  No building upkeep, etc.  The group would spend time in the museums, libraries, laboratories, places of business, concert halls, parks, zoos, galleries, etc., and, most important, these 7 students and 3 articulate adults would hold an endless conversation, exposing the students to adult thought, adult examination of evidence, adult analysis and synthesis, etc., and the adults would inevitably learn, too.  Goodman discussed this in many contexts, and, IIRC, in his double paperback, Compulsory Miseducation and the Community of Scholars.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids have had about 1 hour of homework every day since kindergarten. It is a PITA and gets done under my wife's supervision. You can't expect that young a kid to sit still and finish on their own.
It is what it is. The school is pretty challenging, I don't know why. Maybe because US is trying to compete (blindly IMO) with East Asian countries in STEM subjects, maybe common core, maybe constant testing due to NCLB. This my elder has entered the college and he is himself resposable for homwork. AFAIK he uses some college apps

Edited by blissann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utica City School District Superintendent Bruce Karam spoke about the district's response plan to the one month school closure at a special school board meeting on Saturday.

Posted: Mar 14, 2020 2:01 PM
Posted By: Gary Liberatore 
 

Utica, N.Y. - Utica City School District Superintendent Bruce Karam took the podium Saturday morning at a special Utica City School Board meeting.

The meeting was designed to inform the school board and the public what is being done by the district to get students and parents through this next month now that schools have been ordered closed until April 14th.

 

Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente issued a state of emergency late Friday afternoon to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, which one result of was, all public schools in Oneida County would be closed until April 14th.

Karam told the school board and some parents and students in attendance on Saturday that the district has been preparing for this day for the past month.

Karam says the district will provide grab-and-go lunches and breakfasts for students during the closure. The meals can be picked up at the entrance to their child's school from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. starting this Tuesday, March 17th.

Karam says students were given two weeks worth of assignments by their teachers before school let out on Friday, "A letter was mailed home to parents explaining the plan. Each classroom teacher has provided a minimum of two weeks of standard-based instruction for students to take home."

Karam says after the two weeks of standard-based instruction, students will then use Google Classroom web-based instruction to continue their studies online.

Karam says administrative staff will still continue to come to work at the district's administration building.

Teachers and other instructional staff within each school will work from home, but Karam says there will be some staff members in each school to handle calls from parents, "Each building's principal will be reporting with their secretaries to handle any issues that come up with parents or students if they call in if there’s an issue." Karam says parents with questions should call the main number at their child's school.

Karam says in his 30 years in the district, he's never come across any kind of similar situation as we are seeing right now, "I’ve never seen a situation like this to this level."

Karam says physical work to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in each school district building actually began last month "We’ve been very proactive. We started back in February cleaning buildings, ordering new kinds of cleaning equipment, foggers to scrub down and disinfect and kill germs in our buildings. We’ve also been proactive in staff, developing our teachers so they can do online learning with students in case of the possibility of closure, which we now have."

Karam says this isn't going to be an easy month and urged parents to help by keeping an eye on their children so they do keep up with their assignments, "We will all get through this right now. It seems like dark days, but we will get through this and things will get better."

One other question asked by a school board member was, will the school year have to be extended due to the closure?

Karam says no, because the state's requirement that students are given 180 days of instruction was waived by Governor Cuomo on Friday due to the coronavirus pandemic "We don’t need to extend the school year because 180 days have been waived by the governor’s executive order."

The school board also voted on Saturday to use all platforms, including the school district's 'Channel 3' television channel, to keep parents informed. The goal is to have that information up and running on each platform as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My children get a lot of homework. Unfortunately, often people don't understand that the meaning is not in quantity, but in the quality of tasks. Recently, I decided to continue my studies in graduate school. Now I realized that many tasks are not only in school. Since I need to do a lot of written work, sometimes I do not have enough time. In such cases, professionals write an essay for me. It seems to me without this, I would just drown in the endless routine of writing.

Edited by Barty
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When quarantine started, thy get a lot of homework. The most difficult assignment is essay writing, my son is not a good writer, and so am I. We were advised to order essay from TrustMyPaper, but when we read their review, we decided to find another one, as this service has low ratings, customers complain about the poor quality of papers, so now we are looking for another service.

Edited by Bigaycy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They definitely get too much..... 

 

As for me, I study in the university and I get too many assignments all the time.... We study online because of this coronavirus right now and I guess that our professors have decided that we need to do our assignments 24/7.... It's crazy because I don't have some free time for myself even studying at home! I have never tried all these writing services but I guess that it's time to start doling it right now.... My friend advised me this resource right here on https://myadmissionsessay.com/assignment/ three months ago and I guess that it's time to check it. 

Edited by Bobby3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2020 at 7:08 AM, Barty said:

the meaning is not in quantity, but in the quality

 

Learning and memory usually are not improved much by repetition.  It is true that learning Ebbinhaus's nonsense syllables is helped by repetition.  It i said that repetition is helpful in learning nonsense.  Efficient learning is aided most by high meaningfulness.  This is supported by the depth of processing model and others.  

 

Material that ranges from medium meaning, "that's neat," or "isn't that strange," to high meaning, "Oh wow!" is learned best.

 

I would think that presented correctly, only a minimum amount of homework would be needed. 

 

Some things are learned in an instant, without effort.  Sometimes it is the sound or the rhythm.   In my case, there are certain things I heard once and will remember forever because of rhythm and sound.  One is M i ss iss ipp i, another is 6.02 X 1023  and another CH3COOH.  They all have a memorable rhythm.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bigaycy,

Most schools use software like Turnitin.com that easily recognizes plaigarism. It highlites published papers down to a phrase. When I taught Comp I & II, my students were astounded when I showed them the reports I could generate. So were parents when they complained about the 'F' earned when I showed them that their child's entire paper was highlited for plaigarism. All of those were bought. Get him a tutor to help with the assignment.

SSH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously? You can do business here if you follow the rules. You didn't, so go **** yourself.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 6:33 AM, garyrc said:
  • When I went to elementary school, the only homework we got was to learn our spelling words and to practice whatever we were learning in math.  When the teachers were real spellbinders, we learned a lot.  When they were not, we didn't, but I don't think homework would have helped, and due to resentment, it may have hurt.  I learned "carry the one" from a Donald Duck supplemental book.  We had great history lessons taught in the form of stories, good educational record albums (78 rpm, at first), good movies, and field trips (nature preserves, a natural history museum, an art museum, the naval air station, a milk treatment and bottling factory, a photographic expedition, a downtown theater where we saw a marvelously colorful film of Queen Elizabeth's Coronation, a symphony concert, UC Berkeley, Mills College, where I bought a Fun with Chemistry age appropriate book, then anointed the high ceiling of our brand new school building with backing soda and vinegar in an experiment gone wrong.  Some of this stuff was unforgettable -- and that's the point). 
  • I could cover jr. high and high school, but I don't have time.  Suffice it to say that we didn't have significant homework until the 9th grade.
  • I must mention Paul Goodman's determination that it would cost no more per student than it does in a conventional school (in NYC) to form teams of one master teacher, and two college student or grad school interns (for academic credit) for every 7 students, and use the city as a classroom.  Home base would be donated storefronts, or even the occasional parent home.  No building upkeep, etc.  The group would spend time in the museums, libraries, laboratories, places of business, concert halls, parks, zoos, galleries, etc., and, most important, these 7 students and 3 articulate adults would hold an endless conversation, exposing the students to adult thought, adult examination of evidence, adult analysis and synthesis, etc., and the adults would inevitably learn, too.  Goodman discussed this in many contexts, and, IIRC, in his double paperback, Compulsory Miseducation and the Community of Scholars.

 

Sounds about the same as we homeschooled our kids. Great post, Gary!

 

I was reminded of a young man who was on the ship with Ben Franklin when he went to France. On the way there, said young man learned French by comparing an English and French Bible. By the time they arrived he had learned enough to be Franklin's interpreter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mallette said:

Seriously? You can do business here if you follow the rules. You didn't, so go **** yourself.

Dave

Someone cheated on their homework?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Someone cheated on their homework?

People who don't read the TOS before touting. They can do it by PM but don't bother to read the TOS.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...