Jamo s809

william99740

I have to rp260s and a rp250c for the living room and am very pleased. I'm now in the market for bedroom speakers and came across jamo s809 towers for half price and am tempted but having trouble finding personal experience stories. Does anyone have any thoughts on these before I pull the trigger. I was thinking about bookshelves and a sub but at the half off price I was thinking I might be satisfied with just the towers since just the klipsch towers work in the living room. Apartment living. The klipsch are more than enough for me

Edited by william99740

I believe Klipsch now owns jamo... Or at least have many collaborations going.  Perhaps they wanted to get in on a budget laid back sounding speaker.  I went to Fry's and they sound good. I'm looking at budget options for the bedroom. So with that in mind...the s807 sound great.(807 2 drivers, 809 3)Imho.. Polk t 50s are trash. The JBL budget towers at Fry's...trash....but pionoeer Andrew Jones towers  actually sound alright. Big value for the money at 180 for the pair. The jamo have a tad Fuller, cleaner sound. But they looks lot more premium. Just a touch more sensitive at 90db vs 88db.. 8 ohm vs 6 ohm Nominal Impedance. Both go to low 40s for bass. 

The specs are pretty similar but the jamo sound was a tad more refined. If the jamo wasn't on sale I'd go for the Andrew Jones.. but it's a tough decision at this point.. I will be buying a used receiver off Craigslist or something. So the justification to myself is maybe the slightly higher sensitivity will favor the jamo.

basically I spent all my money to get the reference premium set up with a marantz in the living room.  So for the bedroom I'm going into the save as much as possible realm.. without it sounding like garbage.lol.

My other option is to keep watching for fire sales... Find some Klipsch on a clearance liquidation sale or used market.

20 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Thank you good sir... My thoughts exactly... I own Klipsch and Klipsch owns jamo... So I was looking for insight on people who have experience with both to chime in. They are not horn loaded, so I get that part.. the tweeter is soft type.  These speakers will be played at low to medium volume for movies in the bedroom 90 percent of the time. 

"Our partners will be pleased to learn that distribution stays the same and Jamo is a fully funded, independently operated company under the Klipsch Audio parent company."

2 hours ago, william99740 said:

Thank you good sir... My thoughts exactly... I own Klipsch and Klipsch owns jamo... So I was looking for insight on people who have experience with both to chime in. They are not horn loaded, so I get that part.. the tweeter is soft type.  These speakers will be played at low to medium volume for movies in the bedroom 90 percent of the time. 

"Our partners will be pleased to learn that distribution stays the same and Jamo is a fully funded, independently operated company under the Klipsch Audio parent company."

I bought these Jamo X550's back in the early 2000's for my son.  Very nice sounding speaker. He still has them.

jamo x550.jpg

On 2/21/2019 at 9:37 PM, Deang said:

Thank you for the response and I have heard nothing but good things about the older jamo speakers from before Klipsch bought them out. Its kind of strange how little reviews there are.. they are clearly more popular over seas. The bulk of discussions  seems to be about the clean look to them and the gimicky upfiring Atmos connection built in which I would not even be using. 

I really wish a good deal on some Klipsch floor standers would pop up. The only concern for me with the jamo is that the sensitivity rating is not up there with klipsch

Screenshot_20190224-075639.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, william99740 said:

I actually meant to quote mopardave above.

I listed to a bunch of different speakers all lined up in the sound room.   These sounded very nice for the price and better than most of the more expensive speakers they had. They really blew me away because they were less money than those better named speakers.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, william99740 said:

actually meant to quote mopardave above.

Took this from an Atlanta craigslist advert. If true then 5 inch drivers, not 3.5...also 90 db efficient(which is decent enough for your purpose) and goes down to 37 hz, and not around 50hertz. The return policy may be different so...Is this the speaker @mopardave...?

Thanks!

Product Highlights:
pair of floor-standing speakers
1" soft dome tweeter with waveguide for focused high frequencies
three 5" polyfiber woofers for punchy midrange and bass
bass-reflex (ported) enclosure with front-firing port
frequency response: 37-26,000 Hz (±3dB)
sensitivity: 90 dB
impedance: 8 ohms
recommended amplifier power: 120 watts
metal fasteners on top of each speaker serve as a connection point for optional Jamo S 8 ATM Dolby Atmos® upward-firing speakers
this allows for a neat, clean install since no speaker wire needs to be run to the speaker "toppers"
binding post speaker terminals for main and Atmos channels
removable magnetic grilles
outrigger feet for a sturdy foundation
10-1/8"W x 41-1/2"H x 10-9/16"D
warranty: 5 years
Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
Jamo Studio S 809 Owner's manual

2 Floorstanding loudspeakers
2 Grilles
8 Mounting feet
16 Screws
User Manual
Important Safety Instructions
Warranty Information   

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Took this from an Atlanta craigslist advert. If true then 5 inch drivers, not 3.5...also 90 db efficient(which is decent enough for your purpose) and goes down to 37 hz, and not around 50hertz. The return policy may be different so...Is this the speaker @mopardave...?

Thanks!

Product Highlights:
pair of floor-standing speakers
1" soft dome tweeter with waveguide for focused high frequencies
three 5" polyfiber woofers for punchy midrange and bass
bass-reflex (ported) enclosure with front-firing port
frequency response: 37-26,000 Hz (±3dB)
sensitivity: 90 dB
impedance: 8 ohms
recommended amplifier power: 120 watts
metal fasteners on top of each speaker serve as a connection point for optional Jamo S 8 ATM Dolby Atmos® upward-firing speakers
this allows for a neat, clean install since no speaker wire needs to be run to the speaker "toppers"
binding post speaker terminals for main and Atmos channels
removable magnetic grilles
outrigger feet for a sturdy foundation
10-1/8"W x 41-1/2"H x 10-9/16"D
warranty: 5 years
Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
Jamo Studio S 809 Owner's manual

2 Floorstanding loudspeakers
2 Grilles
8 Mounting feet
16 Screws
User Manual
Important Safety Instructions
Warranty Information   

Sorry I just replied on the other thread! Thank you for moving over here though since we were on the verge of hijacking the other thread

• Haha 1

What's hilarious is that these jamos are on sale on Craigslist for 500.. it appears someone is buying the Fry's alert deals... they are currently on Fry's for 280...then they try to turn around and flip them to people on Craiglist. It's pretty wild how people not in the know think the mrsp is the going price for speakers... When if you just search online through deal alert web sites... You regualrly get them them brand new for less than 50 percent off the original price from reputable dealers

Actually maybe these flippers are smart if it works... Because if they can't flip them on Craiglist within a month.. they can return them.lol I don't think Fry's has a restocking fee..

I just bought them and if I don't like them for any reason.. I can return.

• Like 1

Well, that is probably alright about the hi-jack given last post there. Anyway I trust Mopardave's opinion so, if I am on same page, you may be deciding between the 2 speakers. Sure the RF-15 would be nice too. Think the go lower so, look for specs on that. If they look decent enough, you may have two contenders so far... @william99740...just read your reply....score and will be interested in your findings.

59 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I listed to a bunch of different speakers all lined up in the sound room.   These sounded very nice for the price and better than most of the more expensive speakers they had. They really blew me away because they were less money than those better named speakers.    

Exatcly what I did at Fry's... I listened to each of the speakers on the wall. The jamo 305 and 307s sounded alright in the store.

After first listening to the Andrew Jones towers first..i said I wanted to hear the jamos...The worker said the jamos sound like crap and really tried to push the JBL sound bars on me lol. He had no idea about the deals the Fry's website had running.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well, that is probably alright about the hi-jack given last post there. Anyway I trust Mopardave's opinion so, if I am on same page, you may be deciding between the 2 speakers. Sure the RF-15 would be nice too. Think the go lower so, look for specs on that. If they look decent enough, you may have two contenders so far... @william99740...just read your reply....score and will be interested in your findings.

I stand corrected about the rf15. They are rated by Klipsch down to 46hz. I've included the spec sheet below

I'm hoping your right about the sensitivity issue. It might not be a big deal if I don't plan on playing them loud.

So if Mopar Dave says they sound good, then that's a a good sign right?!

Screenshot_20190224-101700.png

2 minutes ago, william99740 said:

I stand corrected about the rf15. They are rated by Klipsch down to 46hz. I've included the spec sheet below

I'm hoping your right about the sensitivity issue. It might not be a big deal if I don't plan on playing them loud.

So if Mopar Dave says they sound good, then that's a a good sign right?!

Screenshot_20190224-101700.png

Yes I tend to trust known member's ears. How about that, 46...was just looking for that. Going to look at the Jamo S809 link for how they look with grilles.

Will not be a problem playing them as loud as you like. You may even want a good deal on a vintage or newer with only 45 watts or so. Or something newer which have a sub out but, think you are all set in the speaker department until you can listen for a little while.