Geezer’s nightmare: Night Driving

DizRotus

As I get older, driving at night is something I try to avoid.  My worst driving fear is having to drive a rental car at night in a strange urban area in the rain.  The reflections off the wet streets make it hard to discern lane markings.  Pedestrians in dark clothing, especially those jaywalking in the middle of blocks are a constant concern.

The recent tragedy in New York, where 74 year-old Jim Boeheim struck and killed a pedestrian at night prompted this post.  While I only know what I read in the papers, it is certainly a tragedy for Jorge Jimenez 51, who was killed, regardless of how fault is ultimately apportioned.

I like to think my awareness of the issues associated with night driving make me more vigilant. I look for people in dark clothing where they ought not be.  Is someone, in the middle of a block, standing, or stepping into, the lane I want to change into?  When vehicles and pedestrians meet, bad consequences result.  Being free of legal responsibility would provide little solace for taking someone’s life.  

• Like 3

I know exactly what you mean. The “amber” colored street lights have a lot to do with it. I don’t have a problem with the older “white” street lights but I’m blind as a bat under the amber ones, especially when it’s wet. The amber ones I heard has no infra red, and increased ultra violet for insect control much like a yellow porch light. Though humans don’t see UV or IR, I believe the bordering frequencies affects our vision. None of this is proven, but I know the amber lights blind me and the white ones don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

At 30 needed glasses. First indication was squinting and headache with tearing from it. and my B&L sunglasses could only do so much.

Problem solved until realized had a depth perception problem at night. Not good at all. Started wearing those glasses you may know of for night, rainy overcast weather more recently which really did help with my run twice a week to Tampa. Have 2 pair so 1 pair always

was with me. Still use them. Mine I wear over my prescription glasses. Helped with reflection and oncoming traffic glare. After you get a little drive time in, in  my case, you tend to forget you are wearing them. Agree about the scary part too.

• Like 3

I too, when driving at night keep a pair of polarized sunglasses near at hand. if I see headlights coming my way or lots of reflective, refractive light sources ahead, putting them on, diminishes eye strain and the loss of visual clarity in a huge way. 

• Like 2

I was born with an extrinsic fixation in my left eye. Basically that means it is not using the main focal point of the eye but the part of the eye that is used for peripheral vision making it very light sensitive. My brain essentially ignores the input from that eye leaving me with a host of visual troubles. But at night or whenever I transition from a lighted to a darkened room the input from this eye intermittently takes over resulting in some very disorienting circumstances. Driving at night is among the hardest things for me. Oddly it presents me with certain advantages. My night vision is actually too good and I typically do most things at night in the dark. The greatest gain was that it kept me out of military service and what would’ve been a stint in Nam. I can certainly sympathize with the troubles others describe here. There’s nothing you can do to improve your lot. Just be careful and prudent.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

those amber/yellow lens glasses are da kine for night driving.  They cut glare down a lot. Especially from oncoming traffic.  If you haven't... give them a try.

Yes them old pupils dilated from darkness, and then you meet any oncoming it really helps me. Especially when they have those super white or other color leds.

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes them old pupils dilated from darkness, and then you meet any oncoming it really helps me. Especially when they have those super white or other color leds.

This actually ties into Home Theater in an interesting way and is why I always recommend a bias light behind your TV. When you drive at night, the constant cycle of dark then sudden light of oncoming traffic or street lights cause your pupils to constantly dilate and contract which leads to fatigue and is one of the reasons why driving at night is dangerous. The same thing goes for watching TV at night, producers often cycle between light and dark scenes and it causes the same fatigue. By wearing amber glasses and having a TV bias light, it evens out the amount of light entering your eyes to avoid the constant dilation, contraction cycle.

• Like 3

May have tried it for HT but cannot recall. Good idea to try.

26 minutes ago, twk123 said:

This actually ties into Home Theater in an interesting way and is why I always recommend a bias light behind your TV. When you drive at night, the constant cycle of dark then sudden light of oncoming traffic or street lights cause your pupils to constantly dilate and contract which leads to fatigue and is one of the reasons why driving at night is dangerous. The same thing goes for watching TV at night, producers often cycle between light and dark scenes and it causes the same fatigue. By wearing amber glasses and having a TV bias light, it evens out the amount of light entering your eyes to avoid the constant dilation, contraction cycle.

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Pedestrians in dark clothing, especially those jaywalking in the middle of blocks are a constant concern.

Brother when a teenager hit a gentleman walking across a 4 lane in unlit area. He happened to be black wearing a dark suit on a Friday night. Man lived but dad took a big hit on his insurance. Will not start telling war stories about my Tampa run but many times, and most every trip was a concern and a near mishap. Some who drive, along with pro-truckers bear watching. Mostly I-10 and I-75...of a sudden, straight up ahead, there is a couch and an easy chair dead ahead in the center lane...whew. Twilight Zone

Night isn't a problem for me. I know for sure where all the cars are in front, to the side and in back. The yellow and white guidelines show up well on the road.  There are ample streetlights. However fog and very heavy rain are a problem.There aren't any bikes or pedestrians running at night where I live. They are probably scared to death at night riding.

JJK

22 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Is this like the short-lived Philips “Ambilight?”

Its a similar concept but the white needs to be neutral white. The Ambilight was a gimmick with the colors, especially since ambient color around the TV actually creates a psychological effect of de-saturating the TV itself. 

Here is a really good Home Theater Geek episode where the cover the bias light and other interesting things that can affect TV performance in the room.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

+1 on the amber lenses.

Will knock the glare off, big time. The only way you know the oncoming traffic has their brights on, is because you can count the number of light they have lit.

interesting part... they do no bother/effect the way you perceive your lights.

Well worth the money to try.

With what little credibility I have --- I highly recommend them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

+1 on the amber lenses.

Will knock the glare off, big time. The only way you know the oncoming traffic has their brights on, is because you can count the number of light they have lit.

Thanks to 

3 hours ago, Alex2233 said:

I'm new to a driving game. I've just passed a car theory test and received my driving licence. Being a newbie, I try avoiding any dangerous situations on the road, especially driving at night. 

Alex for reviewing an interesting threat, night driving. I'm the one to be wary of, not you.

Now they're having those tactical glasses commercials even more.

Probably worth trying.

Your credibility is never in question

with me grasshopper.

On 2/22/2019 at 6:48 AM, DizRotus said:

As I get older, driving at night is something I try to avoid.  My worst driving fear is having to drive a rental car at night in a strange urban area in the rain.  The reflections off the wet streets make it hard to discern lane markings.  Pedestrians in dark clothing, especially those jaywalking in the middle of blocks are a constant concern.

The recent tragedy in New York, where 74 year-old Jim Boeheim struck and killed a pedestrian at night prompted this post.  While I only know what I read in the papers, it is certainly a tragedy for Jorge Jimenez 51, who was killed, regardless of how fault is ultimately apportioned.

I like to think my awareness of the issues associated with night driving make me more vigilant. I look for people in dark clothing where they ought not be.  Is someone, in the middle of a block, standing, or stepping into, the lane I want to change into?  When vehicles and pedestrians meet, bad consequences result.  Being free of legal responsibility would provide little solace for taking someone’s life.  

Same here. Night driving use to not bother me at all, now at 58 yrs. it's different. Thankfully some vehicle manufacturers offer thermal imaging safety features and electronic systems that read lane markings and signage. We may eventually all lean toward and embrace Dave's idea of car driving utopia.

• Like 1

+1 on the amber lenses.

Are there a certain pair/type of amber lens you'd recommend? My wife and I both have a tough time at night driving especially when it's wet. The glare is almost too much to deal with at this point. She's 58 and I'm 48 (going on 78).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1