Geezer’s nightmare: Night Driving

DizRotus

On 2/22/2019 at 7:48 AM, DizRotus said:

As I get older, driving at night is something I try to avoid.

-----you are not alone , we all have very similar issues   and most  of the time ,  stock  headlights are simply inadequate   , use the high beams when you are unsure  ,   or use a car with fog lights , they help see the lower road markings     if it is your own car ,  switch to better bulbs-  that will increase the length and width of the viewable area ------in any weather condition

33 minutes ago, SWL said:

Are there a certain pair/type of amber lens you'd recommend? My wife and I both have a tough time at night driving especially when it's wet. The glare is almost too much to deal with at this point. She's 58 and I'm 48 (going on 78).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

no help whatsoever there , sorry

the ones I had were prescription ground lenses, and a loooong time ago

Might ask an optometrist.

• Like 1

As I get older, driving at night is something I try to avoid.  My worst driving fear is having to drive a rental car at night in a strange urban area in the rain.  The reflections off the wet streets make it hard to discern lane markings.  Pedestrians in dark clothing, especially those jaywalking in the middle of blocks are a constant concern.

The recent tragedy in New York, where 74 year-old Jim Boeheim struck and killed a pedestrian at night prompted this post.  While I only know what I read in the papers, it is certainly a tragedy for Jorge Jimenez 51, who was killed, regardless of how fault is ultimately apportioned.

I like to think my awareness of the issues associated with night driving make me more vigilant. I look for people in dark clothing where they ought not be.  Is someone, in the middle of a block, standing, or stepping into, the lane I want to change into?  When vehicles and pedestrians meet, bad consequences result.  Being free of legal responsibility would provide little solace for taking someone’s life.  

Sounds like cataracts. I had the same night blindness you speak of. Had cataract procedure done and those night blindness issues disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• Moderators

It's a sure sign your getting old, all the talk about health problems. 

Just kidding, maby, everyone here is mostly old, except for the few young ones. And we know who you are, your the ones who say things like what about Hersey vs Cornwall vs RF7 vs JBL vs Polk vs in ceilings, and do I need a sub with each one and will it be better than my bose, and explain in detail please ? :o

OK it's not that bad, just bored. Anyway some might need those night glasses depending on where you live. Mostly because these days there is possibly many people standing in the streets and they say it's not cool to run them over even by accident.

6 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Sounds like cataracts. I had the same night blindness you speak of. Had cataract procedure done and those night blindness issues disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep pestering my ophthalmologist about cataract surgery, but she says it’s not yet time.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I keep pestering my ophthalmologist about cataract surgery, but she says it’s not yet time.

She probably does know best, hope so anyway, not something you want to do if there is not much benefit. It's either a second opinion or trust her.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

She probably does know best, hope so anyway, not something you want to do if there is not much benefit. It's either a second opinion or trust her.

I figure it’s like needing a muffler.  If you know it needs to be replaced, do it right away.  Enjoy the benefits of quiet and safety of an intact muffler while using the car, don’t replace it just to be able to sell it to the next person.

My ophthalmologist nods her said as I make my case, but still says it’s not yet time. The cataracts don’t bother me, but I’m eager to get rid of glasses for distance vision.  She says I’ll still need reading glasses.

• Like 1

A significant cause of nighttime driving issues is a dirty windshield.  Outgassing of interior materials deposits a film on the glass while exposure of the outside completes the process.  Try cleaning both surfaces (use cloth, not paper towels) until the glass seems to disappear and then go out for a night drive to appreciate the difference.  You will want to repeat the cleaning at least weekly.  Remember, even a slight film will cause a great deal of light scatter which is why oncoming headlights can blind you.  Smoking even one cigarette in the car can place enough film on the interior to destroy your nighttime driving ability.

A reflection free coating can be applied to any ophthalmic lens which also helps hugely.  Whenever you see someone who seemingly has no lenses in their frames it is because of this coating.

The criterion for cataract surgery is when your sight is no longer satisfactory for your needs.  The days of waiting for them to reduce your vision to some arbitrary level have been long gone (back in the day it was called waiting for cataracts to be “ripe”).  Neil, I recommend you get another opinion.  Multi focal lens implants allow many to be glasses free as well.

Eyeglass lenses need to be cleaned daily.  Liquid dishwashing soap and water works great.  Dry the lenses gently with a well washed, soft, cloth.

Maynard

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

is Dr holding up the surgery or the insurance co?

If they aren't bad enough, it qualifies as elective surgery and not covered. 

My wife went thru that scenario. She said it was like wearing sunglasses in a dark room prior to the surgery.

Led me to wonder how bad it has to get... not being able to see well enough to drive?

I never questioned the availability of insurance.  I inferred that, between Medicare and my insurance, it would be covered.  I don’t think insurance factors into to the doctor’s recommendation.  

My younger brother recently had successfully cataract surgery, but his were bad, mine are not.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

My younger brother recently had successfully cataract surgery, but his were bad, mine are not.

what's your secret  ,  any advice -sunglasses   , diet , any hints