khorn woofer help please

JRS94

My bass bins sound different, one is very good , one is very quiet. I open them up and find different speakers. The "good" bin has I guess the original K33B square magnet speaker. The "quiet" bin has a round magnet with 121 501, vendor 1890, 151628 or B, L-2, 923A0027, 4 ohm i assume, the m is scaped off.  So I assume sometime in the last 40 years the original k33b went to speaker heaven and was replaced by the round magnet speaker. Is the round one a k33E ? Does this explain why the round magnet bin is deficient compared to the square mag bin? Changing sides on the amp L or R has no effect, so the issue is in the speakers.

Do I buy the Crites woofers? Will they perform like the K33B?

Thanks in advance for advice on this. Here are some pictures.  

20190221_222907_resized.jpg

20190221_222942_resized.jpg

20190221_222832_resized.jpg

20190221_222814_resized.jpg

Edited by JRS94
add pictures

Thanks, Looks like I'm buying some Crites woofers. Any idea what the round magnet one is that I currently have? If it was an original Klipsch replacement woofer it is terribly lacking compared to the old k33B. Just trying to understand my speakers.  

5 minutes ago, windashine said:

,,, o O (Bob has some excellent Type A Crossovers for your Listening Experience with the new Cast Frame 15" Woofers)

Thanks ,

I have all Crites top end, CT 120, AG 55, fresh type A crossover. Just never happy with the bass bins. (I should say bass bin, the K33B bin was fine). Now I see why. 

I'd still like a solid ID of the round mag speaker in my picture, just to understand why that bin sucked so badly.  

Edited by JRS94

1 minute ago, windashine said:

The dual connectors resemble an Eminense K33E Klipsch replacement speaker... connect your multimeter to the speaker, disconnected from the crossover, for a reading...

Ok will do that tonight after work on both woofers and post results.  I orderred the Crites woofers, how do you all seal the cabinet?

My original gaskets are crunchy. Silicone them up? 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Just get foam gasket material for the access doo like above...lol. Sounds like one woofer is bad or wiring to it is bad check with OHM meter for sure.  Never heard of one of those going bad unless a lot of power or amp went bad going to it.

Will order some foam, thanks. I bought these KHORNS used from a guy on here, and he bought them from someone and rebuilt the top hats,  so anything is possible. The wiring is in phase and the crossover is correct, God knows what these speakers have been through over 40 years. Top hats are all new Crites parts. Just never could get the round magnet bin to work correctly. Its real quiet vs what i think is normal volume with the K33B. Didn't open them when I bought them, bad me.  Anyway, can't hurt to get the fresh Crites woofers in there. At least the speakers will match.  Thanks for the help, KHORNs have been interesting so far. 

3 minutes ago, Budman said:

you should have no problem selling the woofers that your taking out.

how hard was it getting the access doors off the bass bins.

Small hammer and a putty knife, the crunchy old gasket material gave up pretty easily. 

What are those two woofers worth? $$ Still not certain what to call the round magnet one. 

The round magnet is just newer one....I sold my original square magnet 1972 woofers for around 150 I think. I put in Crites cast frame woofers the good ones and never looked back. I knew some forum guys wanted originals and I wanted new ones. 

If you got new crossovers in yours its almost positive something is wrong with the woofer. 

Also check all connections on crossover if they are using screws for the wires.

Just now, ricktate said:

The round magnet is just newer one....I sold my original square magnet 1972 woofers for around 150 I think. I put in Crites cast frame woofers the good ones and never looked back. I knew some forum guys wanted originals and I wanted new ones. 

If you got new crossovers in yours its almost positive something is wrong with the woofer. 

They have Crites type A in them. I was told the crossovers and the top hat rebuilds are about 2 years old. The new mids and tweets have an october 2015 date on them.  I'm banking on the newer woofer being hurt somehow. No idea when it went in. Is there a way to test the crossover output? just to be sure? Outside of swapping parts from bin to bin? I'll test speaker terminal ohms tonight.  

The odd woofer is labeled like Klipsch Professional woofers, like one that might have been used in a stage monitor.  If it were a K-33-E it would clearly say so.  Another K-33-B is likely your best choice.  Perhaps one left over from ricktate's conversion. 

4 minutes ago, JohnA said:

The odd woofer is labeled like Klipsch Professional woofers, like one that might have been used in a stage monitor.  If it were a K-33-E it would clearly say so.  Another K-33-B is likely your best choice.  Perhaps one left over from ricktate's conversion. 

Do you NOT like the Crites woofers?

Glad to hear that my round guy is potentially NOT the correct type. Makes sense that it played quiet for equal input of power vs the K33B. I assume it is designed for much higher wattage so less efficient at lower levels?

Thanks for the response, this helps me understand the issue. Wish I knew the history on these guys. 

18 minutes ago, glens said:

Before I spent any money I'd be swapping either the crossovers or woofers between cabinets, whichever's easier, to see whether the problem stays or migrates.

I can certainly do that. And will get some measurements across the speaker terminals as well.

You don't buy in to the different type of speaker solution JohnA suggests above? 

From Bob Crites this morning;

"My  CW1526C is built to the specs of the originals square magnet woofers but they do have the round magnets.  At the time they went to the round magnet in 1985, Eminence could not meet the specs of the square magnet woofers.  But later they could but Klipsch never requested them to go back to the original specs.  My woofer does meet those original specs."

So there are a couple explanations out there. Add crossover issue and we are up to 3. All possible

Thanks