khorn woofer help please

JRS94

Make that 4: plain old wiring/connection issues, which you may inadvertently clear up doing the swap, or by deliberately going through everything wire/connection-wise as a first step.

While unlikely that both woofers, if each in perfect operational condition otherwise, exhibit the exact same characteristics, I'd think they should be close enough even for someone like me.  But that's easy to say from this distance!

16 minutes ago, glens said:

Make that 4: plain old wiring/connection issues, which you may inadvertently clear up doing the swap, or by deliberately going through everything wire/connection-wise as a first step.

While unlikely that both woofers, if each in perfect operational condition otherwise, exhibit the exact same characteristics, I'd think they should be close enough even for someone like me.  But that's easy to say from this distance!

Did the point to point already, the two speakers are very different in volume at the same power level. I'll do some swaps this weekend. Hopefully the round speaker of unknown age that also does not say K33 anywhere is the culprit. I'll report what I find.  

Ok guys here we go,

1. Point to point check all good- verified by separate person.

2. Ohm reading black speaker    3.4-3.5 ohms

Ohm reading    K33b    2.9-3.0 ohms

Readings direct on speaker.  Leads lifted

Btw same reading when taken at crossover with leads on

3.Cone on black speaker much harder to move vs k33b = tighter voice coil maybe support to prove pro series .

Lifted leads to mids, tweeters;

4. Swapped channels, no change  =  amp is good

5. Swapped crossovers,  no change =  crossovers are fine

Also had independent verification of speaker performance

Have ticket in with klipsch.

Has to be black speaker. I miss anything? 

Thanks for help today. Time for beer.

20190222_181459.jpg

2 hours ago, JRS94 said:

3.Cone on black speaker much harder to move vs k33b = tighter voice coil maybe support to prove pro series .

There's your culprit.

Does it feel like something's rubbing when you attempt to move the cone?

38 minutes ago, glens said:

There's your culprit.

Does it feel like something's rubbing when you attempt to move the cone?

No its clean,  smooth to move , but much more force needed to move it vs the k33b. I'm convinced it is the issue after all the testing. 

Looks like you found it out. Just get Crites stock woofers and move on I would say. Try and sell the other ones I'm pretty sure you can sell the k-33 easy not sure about other one. I would always replace in pairs unless you want to get a square magnet K-33 one off ebay or from a forum member.  

5 hours ago, ricktate said:

Looks like you found it out. Just get Crites stock woofers and move on I would say. Try and sell the other ones I'm pretty sure you can sell the k-33 easy not sure about other one. I would always replace in pairs unless you want to get a square magnet K-33 one off ebay or from a forum member.  

Crites woofers come Tuesday, my khorns don't have a motorboard for my woofers, looks like flip them on their fronts and unscrew. Which had the wingnut motorboards? 

On 2/22/2019 at 1:37 PM, JRS94 said:

Do you NOT like the Crites woofers?

Glad to hear that my round guy is potentially NOT the correct type. Makes sense that it played quiet for equal input of power vs the K33B. I assume it is designed for much higher wattage so less efficient at lower levels?

Thanks for the response, this helps me understand the issue. Wish I knew the history on these guys. 

The point is, why buy two $150 woofers when you can buy one for about $100?  Klipsch also made changes to the bass horn over the years.  Don't know if the woofer changes caused the horn changes or horn changes required new woofers, but yours were built for K-33-Bs.  There are 2 varieties of K-33-E,  even.  Which one would perform best in your bass horn? 

Chigago: 32 degrees Saturday, 25 degrees Sunday. New woofers. I'm predicting you don't leave the house until Monday. Hope your neighbors are up for some clean, articulate bass.