A Little Treat For the Reel to Reel Guys

thebes

I've got one of the Sony right in the middle with the slant front.  You can flip it around in the box and use it (mostly) horizontal as well.  I have no idea if it'll even power up - it's been almost 30 years now since I've used it for anything.  Not an especially high-end unit...

My favorite engineer/repair guy, picked as "the best in the Bay Area" by the Bay Guardian, had a very large fire axe hanging on the wall, labeled, "Akai Repair Kit".

I had Ampex (cheap), Teac, and Crowns.   The Crowns were the best.   I always lusted after 35mm full coat magnetic film recorders.  Better S/N, frequency response, output level, less print through, higher speed of travel than 15 ips (often 22 ips), and probably lower distortion.

• Like 1

I have an Akai X 360D. Got it from a lady whose husband got it new. He died in a car accident a few years ago and the hasn't been powered up for a loooong time. Can't afford to spend more money on it now... so it sits. I'll have to unload this at some pont, proba ly for very little money.

Bruce