Wider acceptance of the 402/510??

Coytee

Seems to me there is a wider acceptance of, and desire for the K402 and/or the K510.

Seems like it's moving glacially but it's pretty nifty to read about others having them, others wanting them, others wanting to learn about them to perchance hear them....

You can sometimes now, see people refer to the 402 on other forums....sometimes by foreigners.

It's a small toehold but it just seems to me the 402 is starting to get some traction in the general conversations of people.  Well, maybe not general because you still have 99% of the folks who want a Pioneer HPM 100 or something similar.  But for those who are "woke"....

Nice stuff.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Seems to me there is a wider acceptance of, and desire for the K402 and/or the K510.

Seems like it's moving glacially but it's pretty nifty to read about others having them, others wanting them, others wanting to learn about them to perchance hear them....

You can sometimes now, see people refer to the 402 on other forums....sometimes by foreigners.

It's a small toehold but it just seems to me the 402 is starting to get some traction in the general conversations of people.  Well, maybe not general because you still have 99% of the folks who want a Pioneer HPM 100 or something similar.  But for those who are "woke"....

Nice stuff.

Women are usually the "rulers of the household." There are exceptions, of course, but most of them involve lifelong bachelors, divorcees, or widowers. Fact is, most women want invisible speakers without regard to proper placement or stereo geometry. My own brother has Corwalls, which his wife likes, but you guys would puke if you saw the terrible placement, which is fine for them because they use it for background music anyhow, never serious listening. Also very few people that own stereos are Serious Listeners. Serious means little or no lighting, eyes closed, etc. for a more concentrated experience for Strictly their hearing mechanism (IOW, minimizing all other senses in the process). Even people that are serious listeners, and own LaScalas with Subwoofers, unless they have a dedicated room for Stereo (and/or HT), they are not willing to put a K-402 on top of a LaScala, where the "tweeter" is bigger than the woofer and looks silly!! Those who have Khorns, don't generally want to spoil their looks. So, to "do it right" means you gotta have Jubilees with a pretty face and no other "votes" in the household!! Your Mileage May Vary (and will).

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Nice stuff.

I think the 402 is one of those things that until you actually hear it, most cannot comprehend just how impressive this lens is!

Now that there are more out there, more people are getting the chance to see and hear them in person.

I built my Jubilees with never hearing a pair and went solely on all the early proponents such as yourself, ChrisA, mikese2a3, etc.

For me, I realized how good the 402 really was, once I did not have them in my room anymore. 😂

As per my recent thread on drivers for the 402, I just completed a new build with 510s on top in 2-way...

Let's just say, size does matter. 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Women are usually the "rulers of the household." There are exceptions, of course

I believe that we'll be discussing that subject instead of how good the sound really is that emanates from them...if this is continually dredged up (sort of like cupping one's hands around one's mouth). 

High performance loudspeakers are not small--and none of them look like Bose soundcubes-on-a-stick. Instead they always inhabit the rooms that they're placed into:

wamm-stereo-1024x756.jpg

uuQzCGI.jpg

Dunlavy-VI-9-634x1024.jpg

201806_highend_munich_2018_favourites15.

I suppose that if one buys loudspeakers by the way they look and decorate the room with pictures according to the colors used (i.e., how they complement the room's decor), then you get exactly what you pay for.

I'm aware of no products that sell themselves, even if you have..."a product that sells itself".  There are other necessary conditions that must be there (as I've posted elsewhere).

Chris

• Like 1

Several years ago I bought a Lab 12  Sub from @ClaudeJ1  when he was in Indy. Listened to the Lab 12 for about 5 minutes.

Listened to to his 402's and DTS10's for much longer it probably took the whole ride from Indy to Chicago for my dropped Jaw to close.I swore that day I would eventually have 402's and DTS10's .I did acquire a DTS10(years later) which runs with the Lab12 and my L,C,R MCM's . When I bought my MCM's I got 3 full 4way stacks plus 2 additional MWM cabinets (1 with drivers and 1 empty) . My ultimate goal is to have a 2.1 channel system MWM bottoms with 402's on top and maybe an 1802 sub. The 402's are like a religious experience for sure. To the OP @Coytee I still remember when I joined the forum to ask questions about MCM's he was the first of many to reply and very helpful. Thanks again ! 

To get back on topic you have to experience 402's to understand the magic ! The best I can do to compare them is - I love LaScala's with a sub ,I think inch for inch they are hard to beat ..BUT.... The MCM's make them sound like a clock radio !  I heard the 402's and  was like I have to have some. (To be fair the MCM's are still just plugged in not dialed in ,and  I'm sure Claudes were dialed in ) 

There are 3 things on my bucket list I want to hear  -The Klipsch 1802/1502 subs , Claudes quaterpies , and @Chris A 402 MEH

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

I believe that we'll be discussing that subject instead of how good the sound really is that emanates from them...if this is continually dredged up (sort of like cupping one's hands around one's mouth). 

High performance loudspeakers are not small--and none of them look like Bose soundcubes-on-a-stick. Instead they always inhabit the rooms that they're placed into

In case y'all got me all wrong, I wasn't trying to change the subject, but to point out that the term "Wider Acceptance" by the O.P. is, and forever will be a very tiny part of the general population and why. Although, like many here on this forum, it does put us into the drool mode to see and own big speakers. I still have 402's in the basement, BTW.

As to Chris A's point about good speakers "dominating the room," none of us here are afraid of that. The top pair of speakers,  by Wilson Audio, I heard at Axpona and also at a dealer in Ann Arbor. They are into the Six Figures, and IMHO, are nothing more than Big Direct radiator speakers. Terrible bang for the buck, but bragging rights for the Rich.

I basically classify ALL speakers into two kinds: 1) Air Pushers and 2) Air SQUEEZERS. Horns fall into the latter category as do the Heil AMT's. All my speakers are Air Squeezers.

28 minutes ago, Gnote said:

Several years ago I bought a Lab 12  Sub from @ClaudeJ1  when he was in Indy. Listened to the Lab 12 for about 5 minutes.

Listened to to his 402's and DTS10's for much longer it probably took the whole ride from Indy to Chicago for my dropped Jaw to close

Those 402's were with my Quarter Pie bass horns. Also, FYI, the K-402's had K-1133 drivers in them, along with a "mini me" tweeter horn from QSC and a B&C DE-250. The front DTS-10 was hidden behind the 55" HDTV and the rear KPT-200's were on top of the rear DTS-10

13FtWallOsound.jpg

RearWall.jpg

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

In case y'all got me all wrong, I wasn't trying to change the subject, but to point out that the term "Wider Acceptance" by the O.P. is, and forever will be a very tiny part of the general population...

I'm not sure why you continue to push this line of thought.  It's not really relevant, and I fail to see why you keep bringing this to every thread that discusses this subject and closely related subjects.  What is, I believe, relevant is that there continues to expand a demand for K-402s and K-510s. 

19 minutes ago, seti said:

K402/K510 combo is one of the best top combos I have heard. The 402 on its own is superb but man that combo is dreamy...

I've heard them with Jubs LF, another klipsch pro lf I can't remember, and 80hz straight tractrix horns.

...with passive crossovers?

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

I'm not sure why you continue to push this line of thought.  It's not really relevant, and I fail to see why you keep bringing this to every thread that discusses this subject and closely related subjects.  What is, I believe, relevant is that there continues to expand a demand for K-402s and K-510s. 

I'm not sure why you, mistakenly,  think I "push" this line of thought. Out of over 6,000 Plus posts, I rarely mention this. Besides, all the responses following my first post here have been in support of expanding the desirability of those big horns among those who are interested.

I have ALWAYS said, the bigger the horn, the better the horn. Either way it takes an exceptional woman, who loves music enough,  to "allow" a man to have those in the house. This is a REALITY check, as confirmed by many posters here who have mentioned the WAF and GAF in their many posts. Don't shoot the messenger! I raise my wine glass to those exceptional women (Dtel's wife and Rigma's being two that I know of).

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm not sure why you, mistakenly,  think I "push" this line of thought. Out of over 6,000 Plus posts, I rarely mention this. Besides, all the responses following my first post here have been in support of expanding the desirability of those big horns among those who are interested.

I have ALWAYS said, the bigger the horn, the better the horn. Either way it takes an exceptional woman, who loves music enough,  to "allow" a man to have those in the house. This is a REALITY check, as confirmed by many posters here who have mentioned the WAF and GAF in their many posts. Don't shoot the messenger! I raise my wine glass to those exceptional women (Dtel's wife and Rigma's being two that I know of).

Okay...you're not, then... 

Enjoy!

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Okay...you're not, then... 

Enjoy!

Chris

Thanks, Chris. We are, essentially, Twin Sons of Different Mothers when it comes to sound reproduction. Like so many here, I'm a fan of what you do and all the contributions you make on this forum and to it's members. Keep up the good work!

PS: I heard those Big Electrostatics in Picture #2 you posted. They sounded like crap at Axpona. Just because speakers are big, doesn't mean they sound as good as Klipsch Pro stuff!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnote said:

There are 3 things on my bucket list I want to hear  -The Klipsch 1802/1502 subs , Claudes quaterpies , and @Chris A 402 MEH

I guess you are down to 2 items, since you already heard the Quarter Pies with the DTS-10's (see photos above). I'd like to hear @ChrisA's MEH's and the 1802's also.

1 hour ago, Gnote said:

To get back on topic you have to experience 402's to understand the magic ! The best I can do to compare them is - I love LaScala's with a sub ,I think inch for inch they are hard to beat ..BUT.... The MCM's make them sound like a clock radio !  I heard the 402's and  was like I have to have some. (To be fair the MCM's are still just plugged in not dialed in ,and  I'm sure Claudes were dialed in ) 

YES and I am impatiently waiting to get the rest of the stuff in to dial in the 402's and MWM's. It is a different world and firing up the 402 for the first time was an eye opener.