2way Cornwall?

mopardave

Been researching alot on this cornscala build and still don't have all the answers.  I know what sounds best with active xover, but not going that route.  I have a couple horns picked out and several brands of drivers including faital,b&c,selenium and bms, but I need to call Al Klappenberger to see what's comparable with his universal xover.  

for my 2 cents. 

Given you have such a well executed 3way... Id strongly suggest building and keeping your old speakers... they dont build them like that very often.

Re 2way horns

The interaction between driver and horn should be considered. 

Most drivers that go to 400hz or lower cant play 60 18K as well the one exception might be the Faital HF200? 

The Eliptrac 400 would be my 1st choice. Works amazingly well and can play very low. Paired with a AP12-500 and you have a crazy good speaker.

The Faital LTH142 would be my next choice. Crazzy good... no sanding and gluing required. Crites has a crossover for this or ALK AP12-800 or ES700 (I just bought a ES700 for this purpose.) Only takes 1.4" drivers by the HF140 is incredibly good. 

If going Eminence 15C + Faital LTH142 you van build a much smaller cab. Dave cut for me baffles that are 30"x20"wide for this horn. It hits just as hard as my cornscalas and actually goes deeper. 

Hope this helps

15 hours ago, justinsweber said:

for my 2 cents. 

Given you have such a well executed 3way... Id strongly suggest building and keeping your old speakers... they dont build them like that very often.

Re 2way horns

The interaction between driver and horn should be considered. 

Most drivers that go to 400hz or lower cant play 60 18K as well the one exception might be the Faital HF200? 

The Eliptrac 400 would be my 1st choice. Works amazingly well and can play very low. Paired with a AP12-500 and you have a crazy good speaker.

The Faital LTH142 would be my next choice. Crazzy good... no sanding and gluing required. Crites has a crossover for this or ALK AP12-800 or ES700 (I just bought a ES700 for this purpose.) Only takes 1.4" drivers by the HF140 is incredibly good. 

If going Eminence 15C + Faital LTH142 you van build a much smaller cab. Dave cut for me baffles that are 30"x20"wide for this horn. It hits just as hard as my cornscalas and actually goes deeper. 

Hope this helps

Thanks.  I spoke with Al  and Bob Crites today to try and get this build on paper.  Some of those ALK cross overs are very pricey.  I'm going middle of the road on quality/expenses, so I have in mind using the ALK universal cornscala cross over.    AS others have said, Al also says I can use either the K33e or the Kappa 15c woofers with this universal xover.   As far as driver/tweet combo i'm planning on using the B&C DE120/DE85TN combo or possible the Selenium combo, but I think the B&C is a bit more quality.    The horn will be the Crites M2380 as i'm not sure if there is any harm going to a shorter or longer horn .     Crites says if I want to keep the Klipsch sound, the M2380 is the horn to have.   Still need to see if I can get my motor boards out to replace with the Crites boards.  If not i'm stuck making need boards.    

I can get the motor boards without too much trouble, but my CW are 1/4" taller than a typical CW.  So, that's a no go.  New plan is the mount the Crites m2380 horn horizontal and the tweet vertical in the current motor board.  With the B&C drivers and the ALK xover should sound and look good.