Nad/Klipsch

KingOfTheNorth

Im buying a nad stereoamp for my klipsch rp280f. I have narroved it down to 2 alternatives

1. Nad 388 with BluOS and Hdmi 2000 USD

2. Nad 368 with BluOS and Hdmi & Nad 268 Combo 3000 USD

Alternative one has 150w/c, while alternative 2 has 300 w/c. My local "dealer" tells me I should go for alternative 2. Shocker! :)

Will I notice any difference between the two? 

Thoughts?

"You can pair the C 268 with the NAD C 368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier, and with both units bridged for mono, 300 watts per channel of distortion-free sound become available for your listening pleasure."

Your help is appreciated :) Thanks

Edited by KingOfTheNorth

6 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

1. Nad 388 with BluOS and Hdmi 2000 USD

2. Nad 368 with BluOS and Hdmi & Nad 268 Combo 3000 USD

Alternative one has 150w/c, while alternative 2 has 300 w/c.

The C 388(Alt 1) has 150w/ch at 8/4 ohms at .009%THD while the C 368(Alt 2) has 80w/ch at 8/4 ohms at 0.03%THD both measured 20Hz to 20kHz.

The 300w/ch is as mentioned bridged power using the C368 and C268 outboard amp.

Get the amp you can afford.

Bill

Really, either combo would be just great.  The difference between 150 Watts and 300 Watts will hardly be detectable by ear, so I'd just go with the 150; it'll be plenty and you can put $1000 toward a lot of music to play through the system.

I'm using their little brother, the 338.  You'd be satisfied with either setup, and if not, you probably can't be satisfied.

2 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

Thank you guys. Ill go for the 388. Hopefully I will have plenty of headroom 👌

On a whim with some time to kill one Saturday, I moved my Yamaha A-S1000 integrated with it's 90w/ch@8ohms, 140w/ch@4ohms  into the family room to see/hear how well it would drive my RF-63s and was very pleased how the Yamaha handled them.  Plenty of fast and punchy bass drive with what seemed like unlimited dynamics/headroom.

I think you will really enjoy that NAD/Klipsch combo.

Bill

It depends on how loud you play music, how large and live or dead your room is, how far away you sit, etc.

With the 150 watt one, in a 4,000 cu ft room, of typical acoustical characteristics, at 13 feet way. you should be able to reach 105 dB continuous (although I wouldn't), conservatively (that takes about 128 watts).   With lots of boundary gain (near a wall or corner, but not blocking the port), you might squeeze another 3 dB out of it.  Instantaneous peaks will be higher.

I've used NADs with Klipschorns, Belle Klipsch and Heresy IIs for the last 15 years, and I love the combos!  NAD doesn't fudge their power ratings like some amp makers, and virtually all AVR manufacturers do.

• 3 weeks later...