Crossover resistors what’s there purpose

Ryan0348

What is purpose of resistors In a crossover. Specifically I have kp301 version 1 speakers and I got some k61 horns and drivers coming so I can convert them to version 2. The version 1 have a 10 ohm resistor in the mid range circuit and a 200 ohm in the tweeter circuit. The version 2 crossovers does not have any in the mid and just a 3.3 ohm in the tweeter circuit. The only difference between the two is a tractrix horn in the mid. And 800hz woofer/mid crossover and 6000  Mid/tweeter. So what does the resistors do for the circut

Resistors are usually used in a crossover for level matching between drivers and/or impedance shaping.

I'm not familiar with those speakers, in either version, so can't offer advice that would be worth a hoot.   However, I'd have to guess out loud that you'll want to also go with a "version 2" crossover, assuming the woofers aren't also different between the versions.

So if I’m going active bi amp my kp301s and I’m only going to use the low pass of the mid and high pass of the tweeter there no danger to get rid of the 200 ohm resistors. Since i posted this I have purchased a Xilica crossover with the help of Chris A and I am going active bi amp. Special thanks to Chris for all the help and questions he’s answered. He did tell me I could get rid of everything but the mid low pass and tweeter high pass. I’m  not second guessing him at all. I just letting you guys know what happened to this post. I do wonder why the kp301 have a 200 ohm resistor and the chorus 1’s and 2’s have no resistors. Is it cause of the kp301 being more of a pro speaker and they are rated for a lot more dB output so the tweeter won’t blow. I’m a welder by trade so maybe I should have my wife proof read these for me more often. Lol JK 

I think I might just build the top end of the chorus 2 band pass filter. the low pass of the mid and high pass of the tweeter. It crosses a lil lower then my kp301 and then like Chris said we can do the rest with rew and the Xilica. 

• Like 1