Jump to content

Converting a Hersey?


tbagshaw
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I am new to this forum and right off the bat  I have committed and small crime I am afraid. I have take my beloved early 70's Hersey components and moved them to  larger vintage cabinets. These cabinets happens to come very close to the measurement of the Cornwall cabinet. I have also replaced the 12's with 8 ohm 15's made by Eminence, I am liking the sound of this combo so thoughts, hopes, prayers, whatever would be appreciated. Fire away let me know the truths and pitfalls of what I have done...

big cabs.jpg

Edited by tbagshaw
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tbagshaw said:

 

big cabs.jpg

Like it ... think it looks great! :D  You replaced the 12" Heresy woofers with 15" Eminence ones ... depending on the exact model, most of those are pretty good.  My only concern is the crossover frequencies. But if it sounds right you probably did great :D 

Cheers, Emile

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

 

I like it too, Emile.. 

 

Yes, a 15 inch KILLS a 12 inch, think of the radiating surface differences, at the outside edges of the two cone sizes.. Is that a Thorens turntable?  What are each table and what are the amps?

 

Nice going.

 

Jeff 

Hi Jeff, Yeah  I have a TD-124 presently set up for mono with Rek O Kut 12" arm and a GE VR cartridge. I also have Technics SL 1100 with a Supex arm now running a Shure M3D. The pre is a Conrad Johnson PV-1 with a CJ MV-75 as well as a Dynaco ST-70. All amps are original no mods. Other sources McIntosh MR -55 Tuner, Sony 9000ES SACD/CD/DVD and Hi Res files via a laptop with a Musical Fidelity X-24 DAC.

 

Edited by tbagshaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Yes, a 15 inch KILLS a 12 inch, think of the radiating surface difference

Yes; and also "the bigger the box, the bigger the bang." Using 12" Forte's in a separate small stereo room. Think they are anemic :( even if they are "some of the best" Klipsch ever made.  Haha, made a guy an offer on a pair of (dual 15's) Yamaha S215V speakers :D 

image.png.ea41714dce2598b7816b42c770c98490.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

None of us can give any useful advice until we understand what you have done exactly.

First, Is this cabinet sealed (like a Heresy) or vented (like a cornwall)?

Do you have the specs on the 15 inch woofer?

Do you have any measurement equipment?

 

To be truthful, and I am not being mean, you have opened a huge can of worms. It is not easy to make a good system. There are a few ways to do it right and countless ways to do it wrong. Unfortunately, many on the forum will offer advice along the lines of "try it and see if you like it ...." That strategy is usually bound to fail. Take that advice with great caution.

 

Let us know what you have done. In all honesty the heresy is a decent speaker (in need of a subwoofer). It is unlikely that you have inadvertently stumbled upon some miracle. Good products are a result of design and not serendipity.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

None of us can give any useful advice until we understand what you have done exactly.

First, Is this cabinet sealed (like a Heresy) or vented (like a cornwall)?

Do you have the specs on the 15 inch woofer?

Do you have any measurement equipment?

 

To be truthful, and I am not being mean, you have opened a huge can of worms. It is not easy to make a good system. There are a few ways to do it right and countless ways to do it wrong. Unfortunately, many on the forum will offer advice along the lines of "try it and see if you like it ...." That strategy is usually bound to fail. Take that advice with great caution.

 

Let us know what you have done. In all honesty the heresy is a decent speaker (in need of a subwoofer). It is unlikely that you have inadvertently stumbled upon some miracle. Good products are a result of design and not serendipity.

 

No I get it my background is as communications tech for 23 years and for a bit longer I have been a performing musician/ drummer covering many styles but primarily Jazz and improvised music for the last 15 years. So I have made a few recordings and got to be in the studio and stage environment,my father was a bit of a audiophile and  technician by trade  as well. The can of worms is where I thrive experimenting and damn the measurements has always been fun to me. Voicing things by ear has great merit I feel  I have been around enough  live instruments and used enough recording equipment to know what to expect in diminishing returns. Sound is in the ear of the beholder, The box is vented like the Cornwall minus the motor board in the bottom. No miracles needed if you have a creative sense and have been around the block a few times you  get to see how much great sounding equipment can measure badly and vice versa. The sky's the limit, within reason no harm done. These cabinets by the way were made by Daystorm (50's 60's 70's?)and seem to be a cabinet that many Heath kit hobbyist etc. purchased for speaker building they measure 23 x 16 x 34...

 

Edited by tbagshaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will probably not like what I have to say. 

I just wrote an outline of some of the more major problems you are confronting (crossover point, venting a cabinet, setting up a crossover etc). After I had written I deleted it since you are determined to do this "by ear" and not be constrained by physics and measurement. So I won't waste my time or yours. 

We see things very differently.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

You will probably not like what I have to say. 

I just wrote an outline of some of the more major problems you are confronting (crossover point, venting a cabinet, setting up a crossover etc). After I had written I deleted it since you are determined to do this "by ear" and not be constrained by physics and measurement. So I won't waste my time or yours. 

We see things very differently.

 

Right we do but I respect your abilities Rembrandt or Paul Klee? Its all in what you like cheers...

Edited by tbagshaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those look very good.   @tbagshaw - the diy speaker community desperately needs good - dynamic recordings of solo drums.  I've got Steve Clarke's "Solo Drums" a John French solo drum cd, etc.  It would be great to have some reference jazz oriented recordings with snappy snare work (maybe brushes too - )  I could listen to a good drummer - "forever" - please consider making something to demo speakers with a LOT of dynamic contrast (24/96) for us poor drum deprived folks 😓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

Those look very good.   @tbagshaw - the diy speaker community desperately needs good - dynamic recordings of solo drums.  I've got Steve Clarke's "Solo Drums" a John French solo drum cd, etc.  It would be great to have some reference jazz oriented recordings with snappy snare work (maybe brushes too - )  I could listen to a good drummer - "forever" - please consider making something to demo speakers with a LOT of dynamic contrast for us poor drum deprived folks 😓

I have this informal recording made at home 24 bit no compression or editing.. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic !!!  - that sounds great even from my little weak Dell USFF 780 driving 2-way Steez headphones and should give Jeff Medwin a way to exhaust two watts per channel.  How were the mics setup? What are the toms? (my ex wife has two Fibes toms - like 14 & 18 which I want - even tho I can't play + old and kinda crippled - haha)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

Fantastic !!!  - that sounds great even from my little weak Dell USFF 780 driving 2-way Steez headphones and should give Jeff Medwin a way to exhaust two watts per channel.  How were the mics setup? What are the toms? (my ex wife has two Fibes toms - like 14 & 18 which I want - even tho I can't play + old and kinda crippled - haha)

It is a 60's Gretsch kit 12 14 Toms 16 bass drum. 6.5x14 Gretsch snare drum a mix of K Zildjian Istanbul and Istanbul cymbals 22 " 20" 18" 8 splash and 14 hi hats Mics were over head  askew and on the bass drum. Shure  Beta -52 on the bass drum and 2 CAD wide diaphragm condenser mics overhead. Run through a small Alesis mixer to a Tascam Portastudio. Only effect was a bit of reverb.. You can download the file..

Edited by tbagshaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

that's a great set of drums - can't remember if a buddy had similar or Rogers of the same era.  Yeah - I downloaded that immediately and sent a 96kbps reduction to a drummer friend.  If you ever upload some grooves - let me know. (blues shuffles always welcomed - oddly - some "drummers" don't seem able to play them).  How do your converted Heresy do with those recordings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karlson3 said:

that's a great set of drums - can't remember if a buddy had similar or Rogers of the same era.  Yeah - I downloaded that immediately and sent a 96kbps reduction to a drummer friend.  If you ever upload some grooves - let me know. (blues shuffles always welcomed - oddly - some "drummers" don't seem able to play them).  How do your converted Heresy do with those recordings?

Quite good the bass is very good the room is 16 x 18 with a ten foot ceiling I keep them away from the walls a bit. The mids and highs sound good and everything is as it should be.. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...