Onkyo receiver impedance

HenrikTJ

Hi people!

I'm in need of a receiver and have landed on either an Onkyo tx-nr686 or the tx-rz830. I've seen the spec sheets and seen that they do a certain amount of watts for ohm rating from 4 to 6 to 8.

On the other hand, i've seen a couple of setup menu videos where its only possible to set speaker impedance to either 4 or 6 ohm. Seeing as my klipsch speakers are rated to 8 ohm, would I have a problem with these Onkyo receivers?

Edited by HenrikTJ

No....just set it to 6 ohm and call it good.  It's only a tad higher and 8 ohm has always been a "nominal" rating, anyway.  Many companies went to rating their speakers, and subsequently receivers, to get a little more power safely out of them.  4 ohm would be tougher on an AVR receiver for mainstream models.  Showing that 6 ohm makes them sound like their receivers have a little more power since they're going off of Ohm's Law where part states as impedance drops, power should go up.  To an extent anyway...a lot more factors involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually it's the other way around.  Amps/receivers are many times rated for 8, 6 and 4 ohm loads.  The rated wattage will increase as the ohm load is numerically less.  For example, an amp/receiver may have a 100 watt/channel rating at 8 ohms, 150 watt/channel rating at 6 ohms and 200 watt/channel at 4 ohms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HenrikTJ said:

I thought I would run the risk of overpowering with a receiver with less ohm than my speakers. Or am I misinformed?

As @wuzzzer... has said, you should be good to go. You would know when something is not correct. Onkyo has for the most part accounted for similar eventualities. Welcome...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HenrikTJ said:

I thought I would run the risk of overpowering with a receiver with less ohm than my speakers. Or am I misinformed?

As mentioned earlier by a another "Nominal" is a key word for you. Set your self at ease on this as, it could get confusing at times with the numbers. You do wise to question. See others have answered so, take your time and never over power any speaker yet, use your ears to know when approaching any volume level going into distortion.

• Thanks 1