Crossover not working?

kevinwisdom

I recently picked up a used rw10 from craigslist for cheap. The issue I'm having is a bit hard to describe.. It's not a blown speaker but the sound is awful. I have all the settings properly configured on my receiver, ran a monster cable line-in to the sub (LFE) and no matter what I do with the frequency/phase knobs nothing seems to change the sound. It just had a muffled, tin-can sound, like it's trying to put out a higher frequency than it's supposed to. The bass is there but its masked with the muffled noise that just drowns out everything else. I ran a bass test and the sub starts to pick up around 200hz. Again if I adjust the knobs nothing seems to change that. Any idea what could cause this? Thanks.

17 minutes ago, kevinwisdom said:

Thanks for the reply.. Wouldn't a blown amp not power on or at least produce no sound? It still works it just sounds distorted. 

It could do any of those things depending on which part of the amp goes bad. 

Did the seller say why he or she let it go so cheaply?

No...it was one of those "It worked fine lat time I used it" kinda deals.. It was missing the grill/cover and there's a small ding on the outside corner of the box. I thought it was cheap for that reason. Wasn't able to test it before I bought it.. that  should have been enough of a reason no to buy it. Seems like I could potentially replace the amp with the Bash 300s correct? not sure if it's better to just cut my losses and find a new/used amp and make sure to test it first... Seems like I can get one for around the same price as the replacement Bash amp. Again thanks for your help...

• Like 1