Recapping your X over?

tbagshaw

On 3/31/2020 at 5:31 AM, rockhound said:

So @Deang and other crossover guru's. What are the preferred caps to use in the heritage lines? 

Budget caps????

Middle Tier caps???

High end caps??

Best bang for the buck?????

A very general description from my experience: 

Paper In Oil: Very warm, good detail. Possibly the best sounding. (Russian PIO's good value good sound, Mundorf & Jupiter considered the best)

Film and Foil: Best bang for the buck. Also warm, maybe a bit brighter than PIO. These measure very well, some of the lowest ESR ratings. Can almost match detail quality of PIO's. (Solen SA, SB, SE, SM, SN, SY Series, and Mundorf ZN represent great sound and great value. I've never really heard a bad sounding F&F)

Metalized Film: Cheapest to buy but may be only minimal improvement over cheap polys or electrolytics: If you get good ones sound improvements can be described as SMOOTH. (Mundorf good but expensive, Clarity Cap sound great and better value)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

A very general description from my experience: 

Paper In Oil: Very warm, good detail. Possibly the best sounding. (Russian PIO's good value good sound, Mundorf & Jupiter considered the best)

Film and Foil: Best bang for the buck. Also warm, maybe a bit brighter than PIO. These measure very well, some of the lowest ESR ratings. Can almost match detail quality of PIO's. (Solen SA, SB, SE, SM, SN, SY Series, and Mundorf ZN represent great sound and great value. I've never really heard a bad sounding F&F)

Metalized Film: Cheapest to buy but may be only minimal improvement over cheap polys or electrolytics: If you get good ones sound improvements can be described as SMOOTH. (Mundorf good but expensive, Clarity Cap sound great and better value)

This is good info thank you for taking the time to share.

8 hours ago, Randyh said:

it depends  ,  some old caps are greater quality than some newer cheaper ones ,,,,,,,,,,and some old high quality caps ,  by specific manufacturers are no longer being made ------so no , this is true if the old caps are average quality , but top end , high end capacitors ,  are best left alone ---------if the ESR   readings are ok , let them be -----if the ESR is way  OFF , yes , replace them

I have yet to encounter a vintage loudspeaker with electrolytic caps that were worth keeping. Seems to be the exception rather than the rule. As for vintage Klipsch oil caps, some like their sound - but high end they are not...