Klipsch Palladium or RF-7 III

Shimei

On 2/28/2019 at 8:24 PM, robert_kc said:

Respectfully, Palladium and Jubilee are apples and oranges. 

Palladium are beautiful luxury-grade speakers that could be displayed in the finest homes.   

Jubilee have flat-black painted plywood cabinets, and don't even have grill cloth covering the metal horn.  Jubilee are industrial products designed to be installed behind a movie theater's screen - not in the living room of a home.   Plus ... there's the size ... consider carefully the dimensions of Palladium speakers vs. Jubilee ...

If you are a wood worker who can install veneer on the Jubilee, and fabricate grill covers, my hat is off to you.  Or, if you think that the "industrial look" of Jubilee looks cool in your "man cave" then, OK ...   but recognize that many people would not have flat-black painted 42" wide cabinets and huge exposed metal horns in their living room.

You hit the nail on the head. Palladium was and still is the company's premium product offering. 

• Like 1

I think the $64k question is what will be Klipsch’s next high-end speaker? 

Will Klipsch offer Jubilee as a finished consumer product with aesthetics on par with the new Klipschorn or La Scala AL5? 

FWIW, I think Klipsch is due for a new premium tower speaker, targeted for the many consumers who don’t have room for Klipschorn or La Scala, and who want a product with deluxe appearance.   A replacement for Palladium?   An upscale version of RF-7III?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

I think the $64k question is what will be Klipsch’s next high-end speaker? 

Will Klipsch offer Jubilee as a finished consumer product with aesthetics on par with the new Klipschorn or La Scala AL5? 

FWIW, I think Klipsch is due for a new premium tower speaker, targeted for the many consumers who don’t have room for Klipschorn or La Scala, and who want a product with deluxe appearance.   A replacement for Palladium?   An upscale version of RF-7III?

Take a limited stab at it. Thinking and sure others contemplating a product liken to the Palladium that may be in the wing yet, interesting comments. Some speculation as already been had yet, to be realized. To what shape or form is to be guessed upon.

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

Take a limited stab at it. Thinking and sure others contemplating a product liken to the Palladium that may be in the wing yet, interesting comments. Some speculation as already been had yet, to be realized. To what shape or form is to be guessed upon.

Actually maybe deeper. A standalone 2 channel or a speaker that may fulfill surround,

tasks or unknown could be the future, yet the unknown once again.

Losin' it...will be interesting to realize...

Could well be a case there @garyrc...abit of fun spec...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Respectfully, Palladium and Jubilee are apples and oranges. 

Very true

Palladium are beautiful luxury-grade speakers that could be displayed in the finest homes.   

Yes your right, they display much better than any other model they sell, they're just pretty. And yes usually the people who buy them would NEVER have something that looks like a Jube in their home, I understand that completely. That was what the Palladium was designed for, to compete in that market. 

Jubilee have flat-black painted plywood cabinets, and don't even have grill cloth covering the metal horn.  Jubilee are industrial products designed to be installed behind a movie theater's screen - not in the living room of a home.   Plus ... there's the size ... consider carefully the dimensions of Palladium speakers vs. Jubilee ...

Not true, just the opposite.

The horn is resin infused with glass, not metal.

It WAS designed for the home to replace the Khorn, the name Jubilee was because it was going to be the khorn replacement in the Jubilee year of the Khorn, 50 years. It did not get finished in time for the 50th, and when PWK heard it he thought it was a step above the Khorn and wanted it to stand on its own. 

It did so well they adapted it with a different mid driver to go behind a movie screen and sold it in the pro line. PWK passed on and because of the history and legend of the Khorn it had some minor changes in parts and appearance to bring it up to date but to keep Pauls Legend alive with the main design not being changed, and the Jubilee was never pushed to make it prettier except a front panel if ordered.

Big, yes no doubt, there is no hiding that, even bose couldn't sell that fact with their huge marketing budget.

One thing that can be said, try to find something that sounds better for 3X+ the price, in performance.

An interview

• Like 2

I was somewhat aware of the Jubilee’s history.  What I meant is that Jubilee are currently marketed for commercial use – not home use - and IMO they look like it.

I was wrong about the Jubilee horn’s material.  Nonetheless, in my opinion the horn looks like an industrial appliance.  

I’m not knocking Jubilee.  😊  I am fortunate and thankful that a forum member invited me into his home, and I’ve seen and heard Jubilee.   People have different tastes regarding style, but I think at least some of us agree that the flat black Jubilee with exposed horn isn’t aesthetically in the same league as the new Klipschorn or La Scala AL5 (based on pics), or the discontinued Palladium (which I own).  (IMO the Palladium subwoofer is particularly handsome.)

I understand that some people like the “industrial look” of the Jubilee.  However, the one I saw, and the pictures I’ve seen, has exposed mounting holes on the front of the horn, and exposed mounting brackets.  And there’s no grill cloth covering the horn.  (I understand that some people use their speakers without grill covers.  Not me.)   And, I wouldn’t have a black cabinet and exposed horn in my living room – but again, I realize that people are different.   (The Jubilee that have veneer on the front IMO look somewhat better.)  

No disrespect or offense intended for owners of Jubilee, but IMO the Jubilee doesn’t look like a finished consumer product.     If I had room in my basement, I might consider a pair - if I became convinced that they could be voiced (or tuned) to excel at the classical music I love.   (There’s no question that the Jube’s horn produces a “big” sound.  The Jubes I heard were tuned to the owner’s taste, which is different from mine.  Which is as it should be.)   However, I just don’t have room for Jubilee – even in my basement.  So, it’s tower speakers for me. 

Fortunately, I’m satisfied with my Palladium, and my RF-7II, when paired with the right tube amps. 

Because I think that there are some other people whose tastes and circumstances are similar to mine, I think there would be a market for a “luxury version” of RF-7III that has premium appearance.   Or, a replacement for the Palladium line.

Bottom line – I think that the speakers we are talking about are all high-quality speakers that can be “voiced” or “tuned” to satisfaction, based on amp selection, and/or room acoustics, and/or tone controls, and/or equalizer, etc.  Different strokes for different folks …

This is what one member did to adapt his Jubilees to more WAF friendly look. I think he did a great job

EDIT: IIRC, this was a graphic prototype and I am not sure if it was actually built (it is scaled correctly and it would be "buildable". 

However, the fellow up in Montreal did actually build (dress up & disguise) a cabinet similar to this. As I recall, it ended up looking nice. 

I am bringing up this stuff in order to demonstrate that the Jubilee is the best-sounding product in the Klipsch lineup, it is affordable, and it does not need to be hidden away in the basement. 

jubileeAKAbStyle.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators
2 hours ago, robert_kc said:

I’m not knocking Jubilee. 

I have no problem with what you said, I just wanted to point out some ideas that were not true. That is how wrong info becomes what people believe which hurts everyone, and most of the time it is not on purpose. It is part of the reason Mike did that interview with Roy and it was pinned to the top of 2 Ch.

I completely get the difference in how they look and why some may not want them in their homes. One reason many have not pushed for them to make them pretty is because that cost will make it harder for some to get or impossible, making them look better is not very hard at all, this still can do nothing for the size, it is what it is.

But some don't care about size, ours is almost twice that size, and the wife picked them out, she went with sound first but did like the look. I asked if she wanted grills but she likes seeing the 402 and MWM horn openings, but I do have a plan for that just never did it yet, wood trim around the 402 horn, no grill. People have been here and asked why don't you put things on those shelves not even knowing what it was. But we live here and don't concern ourselves with what someone may think, past all that silliness years ago.

It's not for everyone, saying this it may never be mainstream like other models who knows. But for some who have chased the best sound they could find for a long time this comes as close to the best, and the best they have ever had considering they cost less than a small house which many models cannot claim.

• Like 2

This is the approach I took to make it more WAF-friendly. Obviously there are a number variations that could be implemented. Incidentally, the width of this room is only 11 feet. 
Yes, Jubilees can fit just about anywhere!

IMG_0759.thumb.JPG.0294ee0a7918088dca2dc1f903d28844.JPG
Is that just basically a 'free standing panel' sitting in front of the Jubes?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No, it's a bit more involved. Make a open box to hold the K-402 tweeter. The footprint of the tweeter box is about an inch larger than the bass bin. Then left and right side panels (simple rectangles with a beveled edge) are cut (roughly 6ft tall and 1.5 ft wide). These side panels are bolted to the tweeter box (use hurricane nuts and decorative bolts for assembly and re-assemebly). The side panels are birch ply that has been oiled and gives a uniform look to the side. BTW, the Tweeter box is bolted to the bass bin, so when you slide the assembly it moves as one piece. 

The Front panel is the trickiest part. I did not want it to look like a picture frame. So the panel itself has a slight curve to it which gives a better aesthetic design. I also avoided wood trim on the sides to avoid the "picture frame" look (that is curved maple trim on top and bottom). There are places on the side panels and tweeter box that have mechanical receptacles  to "accept" the front panel. There are a number of choices for the cloth. I found one that has a bit of texture to it (a "phony" linen) so it does not look like a bed sheet. It does blend well with the walls. This is as close as you can get to making a big beast not not have such a pronounced contrast to the rest of the room. It almost "hides itself". Well, almost but not quite ... 

They can be assembled / disassembled in about 20 minutes. When you are positioning them no disassembly is required (just have carpet pad under the bass bin). They are tall enough so you don't see the top and only spiders will see the back.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I am bringing up this stuff in order to demonstrate that the Jubilee is the best-sounding product in the Klipsch lineup, it is affordable, and it does not need to be hidden away in the basement. 

jubileeAKAbStyle.jpg

Not according to Klipsch engineers and Palladium owners. 

"For over 60 years, Klipsch engineers have sought the ultimate: a loudspeaker that could reproduce recorded music with all the passion of a live performance. The new Palladium™ Series approaches aural perfection, while making a visual statement that is every bit as elegant and passionate as the sound. 

The Palladium Series floorstander represents the epitome of loudspeaker technology, with remarkable clarity throughout the dynamic range and bold styling. Today, Klipsch Group, Inc. is a global force, and this flagship loudspeaker reflects that leadership status; design and engineering teams from the United States collaborated with colleagues from Germany and China to plan and execute the Palladium project."

• Like 1

F05ACF63-CC25-4F1D-A55A-98FA528ECEA0.thumb.jpeg.84e0db048541034e7daf9e03dc78a1b8.jpeg

I really like the Palladium sound and love the look and anyone who is fortunate enough to own them are very blessed IMHO.

With that said: Does anyone really believe PWK would have ever picked a design that wasn’t fully Horn loaded as his flagship..?

This really shouldn’t come down to Palladium versus Jubilee Owners since there are very good reasons for picking either IMHO and heck if I could I would own them both.😄

miketn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Schu said:

One of those designs is still around, the other...

The Palladium was a 10-year project and an all-out no-cost limit project to make the best speaker Klipsch knew how to make. It was expensive and turned out not to be a good fit for the average Klipsch customer who shops for used and do-it-yourself products and is attracted to K Mart blue light specials. The lucky few who bought Palladium at significant close-out prices are reaping the benefits of Klipsch's best ever engineering effort. They are beautiful design elements to any living room sitting and require no home-made adornments.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

the average Klipsch customer who shops for used and do-it-yourself products and is attracted to K Mart blue light specials.

Yes, some Klipsch customers shop for used speakers.  I bought all of mine (7) new, partly to support Klipsch.  I probably should sell my Khorns and get a pair of Jubilees, but don't quite have the time and energy to do that right now -- and I would have to hear the Jubs first.   If I did such a thing, I would put them behind a grille cloth wall. 

I don't have a profile of the "average" Klipsch customer, but I have a hard time thinking of such a person and K Mart in the same breath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1