Why vinyl is kind of a miracle

MeloManiac

1 hour ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Some put too much trust in digital files. Digital carriers will not survive the average life span of a vinyl record.

There are real threats such as disc rot (see picture from Wikipedia), bit rot, component and system failures.

Anyone who hasn't lost some important digital pictures, rips, files, documents due to negligent backup protocol... raise your hand?!

Disc_rot_close_up.jpg

Valid points.  That’s why I have all my digital music stored in several places.  In addition to the main hard drive, each file is backed up to at least one external hard drive, as well as to the several Micro-SD cards used in my several Pono players, not to mention Carbonite saves my files to the cloud.  There is a much greater chance that my cherished vinyl Sheffield Labs direct to disc recordings, or the few vinyl records I keep, such as Time Out, Kind of Blue, or Dark Side Of The Moon, will be damaged or lost, than that I will lose access to the digital copies of each.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

"Vinyl is the only consumer playback format we have

that's fully analog and fully lossless"

Like film in analog photography, vinyl is the only format that is truly future proof.

Oh Really?

Clearly you have no idea where the analog on the vinyl came from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Valid points.  That’s why I have all my digital music stored in several places.  In addition to the main hard drive, each file is backed up to at least one external hard drive, as well as to the several Micro-SD cards used in my several Pono players, not to mention Carbonite saves my files to the cloud.  There is a much greater chance that my cherished vinyl Sheffield Labs direct to disc recordings, or the few vinyl records I keep, such as Time Out, Kind of Blue, or Dark Side Of The Moon, will be damaged or lost, than that I will lose access to the digital copies of each.

ditto

Oh Really?

Clearly you have no idea where the analog on the vinyl came from.
You must live in a parallel universe where digital music has been around much longer than in this universe?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 5047U met Tapatalk

Everybody who has heard my system says that the vinyl sounds better than anything else I play.You have to be dedicated to the format to get the best results. I'm sure digital can have better specs, but the same can be said about ss amps compared to tube amps. Specs will never make me get rid of my tubes or vinyl!

• Like 2

If you'd said "can be" fully analog and lossless you'd been more correct.  It's most likely any current releases on vinyl have been digital at least somewhere before they got to the cutting lathe.
I Agree.

Everybody who has heard my system says that the vinyl sounds better than anything else I play.You have to be dedicated to the format to get the best results. I'm sure digital can have better specs, but the same can be said about ss amps compared to tube amps. Specs will never make me get rid of my tubes or vinyl!
That's so with my system too. Not high-end at all, but today's electronics are so good value for their price. You can get amazing sound quality for a very reasonable price. And going analog/vinyl is by far cheaper than digital.

25 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

That's so with my system too. Not high-end at all, but today's electronics are so good value for their price. You can get amazing sound quality for a very reasonable price. And going analog/vinyl is by far cheaper than digital.

My vinyl system is anything but cheaper! Every time I upgrade something I have to sell an organ. At least I (usually) hear improvements with upgrades.

When I first saw this thread title I assumed it was going to be about how inexplicably a record withstands even just a few plays because due to the small contact area of the stylus, the pressure is greater than the vinyl can withstand.  Or something along those lines.  The almost hypnotic video of the spinning reflection was a nice diversion.

The delta between recorded music played through speakers and real live music is so huge that the few extra steps digital gets us to real music is almost meaningless.  It's like instead of being 50 miles away, you're 49.9 miles.  

People loved recorded music just as much when I was a kid when ALL we had was analog playback (vinyl and tape).  The clicks, pops, vinyl surface noise, tape hiss, etc... are all gone today yet recorded music is no more AND no less effective and helping us through pain when things are bad or enhancing our joy when all is right.

So trashing either format is rather silly and misses the whole point of recorded music.

The delta between recorded music played through speakers and real live music is so huge that the few extra steps digital gets us to real music is almost meaningless.  It's like instead of being 50 miles away, you're 49.9 miles.  

People loved recorded music just as much when I was a kid when ALL we had was analog playback (vinyl and tape).  The clicks, pops, vinyl surface noise, tape hiss, etc... are all gone today yet recorded music is no more AND no less effective and helping us through pain when things are bad or enhancing our joy when all is right.

So trashing either format is rather silly and misses the whole point of recorded music.

My wife is a cellist. The instrument she plays is 113 years old. The sound and dynamic range it produces is unequaled by any recording in any format.

2 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

My wife is a cellist. The instrument she plays is 113 years old. The sound and dynamic range it produces is unequaled by any recording in any format. 

No matter how good a playback system is, it can't compare to live music! That tells me we have a ways to go to reach sonic nirvana.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, LeftEyeShooter said:

You must live in a parallel universe where digital music has been around much longer than in this universe?

The universe is made of all kinds of tiny bits of things. We are bits. Rivers are bits. The planets are made of bits. Even your precious vinyl is made of bits, but mostly space.

So, what universe are you from? (it doesn't have to be parallel)

I have to ask, how many of you have any experience recording live music and/or natural sounds?

And how often have you done this?

How many of you have recorded the same source, in analog and digital simultaneously?

How many of you have recorded live music, and played it back in the same room, and fooled everyone upon playback? (in other words it was the recording playing, not the live performer)

You know, in live verses recorded demonstrations, the recorded sound is what the majority of listeners consistently identify as the one they think is "live". It's been that way for decades.

5 minutes ago, artto said:

I have to ask, how many of you have any experience recording live music and/or natural sounds?

Ok, I may look foolish here, because I know many pros and very experienced people are in this forum... But here is a recording I did of my wife's concert some years ago. I filmed it from the side, but I put a small Zoom recorder  on a tripod right in front of the group (it can be seen from time to time in the bottom right corner). The Zoom audio (in mp3, though wav is possible too) was added in post to the video. My wife is a multi-instrumentalist. Here she plays the oboe, she also plays the flute, cello and piano. I like to mess with video, audio and photography.

I guess your question was merely rhetorical, though. Enjoy listening. Put it through your large speakers, it sounds better that way than on laptop speakers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, artto said:

... And sometimes, the sound quality is secondary to the event, to being there. My wife's musical ensemble had the honour to play at the  Last Post in legendary Ypres (Flanders), commemorating World War One. It was an equal honour to me to record the event...

• Like 1