Thoughts on KLF-10? 2-Channel System

Bsherck

Hi All,  

I am considering purchasing a used pair of KLF-10s with Crites upgrades.  Looking for a few opinions on their sound quality, compared to other series.  Fair pricing?   They'll be used in a 2-channel Adcom system.   I have had (and miss dearly),  kg 5.2s,  2.2s,  and still have a set of upgraded 3.2s.     I am prepared to do some work on the cabinets, as I have heard they can rattle loose.     Thanks a bunch for all thoughts! 

There's a pair local to me for $400 that have been for sale for a little bit.  That would be a top end for me, no matter the condition and/or modifications.

{edit}  I noticed you're from the Twin Cities area after I posted the above.  I'm assuming you are looking at these: ?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/minneapolis-klipsch-klf-10-oak/6821120119.html

They look really good.  I would ask the seller if they have the original diaphragms in the off chance that you don't care for the sound of the titanium ones.  I've loved them in all the models I've changed them out in, though.

They should have a similar sound to your old 5.2s but probably better bass and a more open sound from the monster horn.

KLF10 tweeter horn is a little larger and it is a more modern in design compared to KG series horns. If you really wanted to improve on the KLF10 then a larger diaphragm wide band compression driver would be required for example an EV DH1506 and say the mid horn from a KLF20/30 would work but you would need to include a support for the extra weight of that driver on that horn.

Grab the KLF10 and install a set of Crites titanium diaphragms for a massive step up in performance over the stock unit. Cheap easy simple fast to do and you will be shocked by the improvement that brings to them.

• Like 1

I have A+B+C compared kg5.2, kg 5.5, and klf 10s. The klf10s had the best, by far, bass of the three, but the 5.2 had the best mid-range/highs. For 2 channel, I would personally go klf20 or 30, forte II or III, or chorus II speakers. I use my klf10 speakers for surround duty with klf30s as my fronts for surround sound.

• Like 3