Did I goof up?? Denon x4400h vs Marantz av7705

jordan122345

Ok so I am putting my system together a few pieces at a time. With the help of you fellow forum members I have already purchased a SVS PB13 Ultra, Emotiva xpa3 gen 3, Denon x4400h. I am ordering my klipsch rf7iii's and rc64iii hopefully this weekend from Cory. I will be ordering the rears and sides and heights once my theater room is finished. 

So here is where my potential goof up comes into play. I went to Listen Up the other day just to look around and hopefully check out the klipsch rf7's. That place is amazing for one. So the guy that was helping me after I told him what I was building for a system put me into a spiral of confusion LOL. So when i told him about buying the Emotova and the Denon which I have already bought of course. He tried telling me that if I use the emotiva for the front 3 that I would have to get another emotiva to run the rest besides the front 3 is that correct? Or can I just use the denon x4400h to run the rears, sides, and heights? He did show me a Marantz AV8805 while I was there but that thing is way to far out of my price range so he also mentioned the AV7705 which is aboit half the price. I know with the denon I would have to run rcas to the emotiva and of course I would prefer to do XLR if possible which I believe both the above referenced Marantz receivers have. 

Oh and then we started talking about audioquest cables and how important he says they are. Omg to much info I never should have gone on there LOL. 

5 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

Ok so I am putting my system together a few pieces at a time. With the help of you fellow forum members I have already purchased a SVS PB13 Ultra, Emotiva xpa3 gen 3, Denon x4400h. I am ordering my klipsch rf7iii's and rc64iii hopefully this weekend from Cory. I will be ordering the rears and sides and heights once my theater room is finished. 

So here is where my potential goof up comes into play. I went to Listen Up the other day just to look around and hopefully check out the klipsch rf7's. That place is amazing for one. So the guy that was helping me after I told him what I was building for a system put me into a spiral of confusion LOL. So when i told him about buying the Emotova and the Denon which I have already bought of course. He tried telling me that if I use the emotiva for the front 3 that I would have to get another emotiva to run the rest besides the front 3 is that correct? Or can I just use the denon x4400h to run the rears, sides, and heights? He did show me a Marantz AV8805 while I was there but that thing is way to far out of my price range so he also mentioned the AV7705 which is aboit half the price. I know with the denon I would have to run rcas to the emotiva and of course I would prefer to do XLR if possible which I believe both the above referenced Marantz receivers have. 

Oh and then we started talking about audioquest cables and how important he says they are. Omg to much info I never should have gone on there LOL. 

You do not have to buy another amp (or a receiver/preamp as expensive as the AV8805/7705 he tried to sell ya ;)). You can certainly use the x4400 internal amps to power the rear, sides, and heights.

Audioquest makes nice stuff but are pricey. Look into Blue Jeans Cable if you'd like. 

I'd say just enjoy what you have now. A PB13, XPA3 and RF7/RC64 combo will put a huge grin on your face.

• Like 1

You will be able to use the Denon, no problem. Run the pre outs for the front 3 to the Emotiva, they will shine with the extra watts provided. This will allow the Denon's power amp section to have extra power available for the surrounds when you get them.

• Like 1

You do not need another amp for just the surrounds, unless the room is huge, or you want to listen at ear bleeding levels. By amping your front three, it will take some of the strain off the AVR. The AVR's room correction software will set all the speakers up, so the front three doesn't overpower the rest of the speakers. I will place a bet that the sales guy at Listen Up sells Audioquest Cables? Monoprice is a good source of wires and cables, doesn't hurt to shop around.

2 hours ago, weziewoo said:

You do not have to buy another amp (or a receiver/preamp as expensive as the AV8805/7705 he tried to sell ya ;)). You can certainly use the x4400 internal amps to power the rear, sides, and heights.

Audioquest makes nice stuff but are pricey. Look into Blue Jeans Cable if you'd like. 

I'd say just enjoy what you have now. A PB13, XPA3 and RF7/RC64 combo will put a huge grin on your face.

Ok I was so confused when I left there. Well that's good news on not having to buy another reciever or amp. 

I do already have some decent monster cable HDMI's that I bought when Circuit City went out of business. So are those gonna be just fine or do I need to get something newer and 4k compatiable?  I will check out Blue Jeans Cable as well. The audioquest is very pricey I am trying to find someone to buy them from on the cheap if at all possible. 

I cant waot to get it all hooked up and going.

Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, babadono said:

You will be able to use the Denon, no problem. Run the pre outs for the front 3 to the Emotiva, they will shine with the extra watts provided. This will allow the Denon's power amp section to have extra power available for the surrounds when you get them.

Perfect thank you very much. That was the intention initially until the Listen Up guy got me all jumbled up. Thanks for the info. 

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

You do not need another amp for just the surrounds, unless the room is huge, or you want to listen at ear bleeding levels. By amping your front three, it will take some of the strain off the AVR. The AVR's room correction software will set all the speakers up, so the front three doesn't overpower the rest of the speakers. I will place a bet that the sales guy at Listen Up sells Audioquest Cables? Monoprice is a good source of wires and cables, doesn't hurt to shop around.

Ok that's awesome news. My room will end up being fairly small so no need for that. Yes they sell audioquest cables there of course LOL. Thanks as always 

2 minutes ago, weziewoo said:

I personally don't have a 4K TV, so do some more research...

I think your current HDMI will not work because of the bandwidth, and the amount of data they can send through.

This seems helpful: https://www.techhive.com/article/3330376/do-i-need-a-4k-hdmi-cable.html

Well damn that might suck. So I will have some nice Monster Cable HDMI cables for sale soon.

4 hours ago, jordan122345 said:

Well damn that might suck. So I will have some nice Monster Cable HDMI cables for sale soon.

Unfortunately they'd be best suited for they old bin of miscellaneous speaker related wire that every guy has.  Modern HDMI is light years ahead of anything Circuit City had when they were still around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Unfortunately they'd be best suited for they old bin of miscellaneous speaker related wire that every guy has.  Modern HDMI is light years ahead of anything Circuit City had when they were still around.

Ohhhhhhh wow that much difference really? Well that's not gonna be cheap now is it. Yuck 

They are actually very inexpensive. Don't buy into the overpriced magic smoke BS.. 

Monoprice is a great source for all cables and offer a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service in my experiences dealing with them. 

Scroll down on any HDMI page to see the applications and certifications. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jordan122345 said:

Ohhhhhhh wow that much difference really? Well that's not gonna be cheap now is it. Yuck 

You should budget maybe $15 MAX per HDMI cable that you need.  Go with Amazon Basic or monoprice, as mentioned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

You should budget maybe $15 MAX per HDMI cable that you need.  Go with Amazon Basic or monoprice, as mentioned.

So I do believe that the $100's and $1000's cables are probably not worth it. But really the $15 HDMI is honestly gonna do the same? 

3 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

So I do believe that the $100's and $1000's cables are probably not worth it. But really the $15 HDMI is honestly gonna do the same? 

That $1000 cable will look better, and give you bragging rights, if you're into that sort of thing.

12 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

HDMI pretty much either works or it doesn't.  If you need a really long cable then a more expensive active cable may be needed.

Hey, I did the Monster Cable thing back in the day, too.  Then I grew up and learned better.