Cornwall I experiment

dtr20

I was thinking about making a new motorboard for an experiment. I wanted to use the stock woofer, a55g midrange driver mounted to forte III horn and forte III tweeter driver and horn. I'm assuming that the stock crossover would need to be modified. Would this tweeter selection be a waste of time? If not, what mods to the crossover would need to be done? 

11 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I'm assuming that the stock crossover would need to be modified. Would this tweeter selection be a waste of time? If not, what mods to the crossover would need to be done? 

Do you already have all the parts? If you stick with the stock k-77 or one Crites replacements no crossover mod should be needed, I believe the forte III tweeter would work with the stock crossover but they are about 3db quieter? I personally would go with the CT-120 from Crites for a tweeter that thing is incredible with near mid like qualities.

3 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Do you already have all the parts? If you stick with the stock k-77 or one Crites replacements no crossover mod should be needed, I believe the forte III tweeter would work with the stock crossover but they are about 3db quieter? I personally would go with the CT-120 from Crites for a tweeter that thing is incredible with near mid like qualities.

I have all of the horns for a chorus III experiment. I will probably be buying the a55g mid-ranges soon for this experiment and then install them in my khorns. Someone on the Facebook group mentioned putting forte III parts in a cornwall to get the best of both worlds and it gave me this idea. I have a pair of cornwall verticals that I can work with.

The Forte III is rated some dB less output and their tweeters evidently have no attenuation (though it's been reported by one individual that they're too hot by a couple dB - he modded his to omit the tweeter but fell off the face of the earth afterward).  It may be worth a try (using the F3 tweeter in a Cornwall), but without a Umike and REW for confirmation, the result would be totally anecdotal.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:54 PM, dtr20 said:

Someone on the Facebook group mentioned putting forte III parts in a cornwall to get the best of both worlds and it gave me this idea. I have a pair of cornwall verticals that I can work with.

I would not  trade any part of Cornwall (K55/K77 based) for any part of Forte. Had Forte I, heard Forte III. Old Cornwalls are one of best speakers I have ever heard (in any price range). Of course they are no perfect but I realy like them.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:54 AM, dtr20 said:

Someone on the Facebook group mentioned putting forte III parts in a cornwall to get the best of both worlds and it gave me this idea. I have a pair of cornwall verticals that I can work with.

How did people get the Forte III mid horn?

As far as I know, I'm the only one who has forte III parts without owning forte III speakers. I ordered them a couple of months ago, but they have now changed their stance. You can only order parts of you have a correct serial number. I am in the middle of an experiment making a chorus III.9d30d8e3cff546a7a93e9dd6f4f62f68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

they have now changed their stance. You can only order parts of you have a correct serial number.

Yeah ... pretty poor approach by Klipsch.  But even serial numbers are not always good enough :( 

Had the same problem with ordering some horns.  After each negative email from them another one followed with more questions requesting serial numbers, reasons, pics, etc :(  Finally was told to correspond with the Chief Engineer.  Haha; what a joke :(  Again the same "interrogation," and again "nothing."  And ... this is their "standard operating procedure."  Talked to several other members who went though exactly the same horrible experience. :( 

Shame on you Klipsch!  Personally, I am "done" with them ... will never buy another Klipsch product again!

Cheers, Emile

• Sad 1

Seriously? 

It's because they don't want just anyone buying their parts, slapping them in a cabinet, and misrepresenting them as official Klipsch speakers if they ever tried to sell them.  That would be like me trying to pass off my Belle clone speakers as real Klipsch, which they aren't; they are inspired by original Klipsch Belle speakers.  The only thing in them Klipsch are the K-500 horns, original grills, and a new pair of K-33 woofers. 

They are not out to support  the DIY community.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, avguytx said:

They are not out to support  the DIY community.

Well; they SHOULD support SERIOUS Klipsch enthusiasts who have spend tens of thousands on their products and may just want to try a different horn/etc in their setups.  This will only "elevate" the Klipsch reputation and word of mouth support for them.  In my opinion just a very bad business decision. 

And ... re your Belle clones ... under Klipsch' new (?) policy, you would NOT have been able to get the parts to build those. 

17 minutes ago, Emile said:

Well; they SHOULD support SERIOUS Klipsch enthusiasts who have spend tens of thousands on their products and may just want to try a different horn/etc in their setups.  This will only "elevate" the Klipsch reputation and word of mouth support for them.  In my opinion just a very bad business decision. 

And ... re your Belle clones ... under Klipsch' new (?) policy, you would NOT have been able to get the parts to build those. 

That first part makes no sense in the Marketing & Accounting world.  This isn't the 1950's through part of 1980's where things were sold as kits and parts.  For instance....Speakerlab.  That ended in the 80's.

I bought the horns and grills second hand; original 1978 models, I believe. Mids and tweeters came from Crites, crossover parts from Parts Express, etc.  Getting  the woofers is all about who you know in the business.  After spending over 25 years in said business, I have that covered for many lines.  I don't pay retail for anything in the home audio/video sector.

48 minutes ago, avguytx said:

It's because they don't want just anyone buying their parts, slapping them in a cabinet, and misrepresenting them as official Klipsch speakers if they ever tried to sell them. 

Yes; I would completely support that ... unfortunately Klipsch wholesales many parts to other dealers such as SpeakerExchange, etc. So; unless they quit that, there is no way they can prevent that.

My problem is that they arbitrarily pick some products to control.  And then run their customers through a series of inquisitions; finally telling them to go screw themselves :( 

9 minutes ago, avguytx said:

That first part makes no sense in the Marketing & Accounting world

Mids and tweeters came from Crites, crossover parts from Parts Express, etc.  Getting  the woofers is all about who you know in the business.  After spending over 25 years in said business, I have that covered for many lines.  I don't pay retail for anything in the home audio/video sector.

1st part ... I appreciate your opinion, but many business "case studies" will contradict this.

2nd part ... QED (proof complete)