RIP André Previn

Chris A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Previn

A very diverse musician (classical, jazz, soundtracks) and celebrity, including husband to Mia Farrow, Ann-Sophie Mutter, et al.

His jazz piano albums are amazing.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chris A said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Previn

A very diverse musician (classical, jazz, soundtracks) and celebrity, including husband to Mia Farrow, Ann-Sophie Mutter, et al.

His jazz piano albums are amazing.

Chris

He managed to write an excellent score for one of the worst movies ever made, The Subterraneans (although Fire Maidens of Outer Space is even worse).  The jazz features Gerry Mulligan, Art Pepper, Shelly Manne, Art Farmer and a bunch of others.  The score contains some "straight" music as well.  Most of the selections were recorded in stereo on 35 mm magnetic film, IMO the best recording medium, ever.  This may be part of the reason the cymbal crashes in the "straight" music sound so rich and real.  A few on-scene bits were recorded on 1/2 width mag film, and in mono.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Kerouac novel, but as Leonard Maltin put it, "MGM was not the studio for this one."   The music kept the film from being boring, though.  Beat culture was hot (or cool) in 1960.  And Lenny Bruce was regularly arrested, as were the publishers of Ginsberg's Howl.*   Several kids from our high school went to the one San Francisco club that had rope netting down the center, so they could admit underage kids to the alcohol free side.  There were poetry readings in coffee shops, and our drama teacher read us a few of the major Beat poets.  Chopped up as it was, the movie still had moments of excitement.  Imagine me sitting there, with my parents, watching Leslie Caron run naked down San Francisco streets (largely cut out by the censors, later on).

Previn makes a screen appearance, playing the (jazz) harpsichord.

If interested, try to find the 79 minute CD of the score.  It was (needlessly) a limited edition.  Libraries may have it.  It was re-released in 2018, but it is not clear whether the re-release is from the mag film music elements, or whether the sound is good.  In any case, Amazon has it for $14.99.

RIP

* In case you missed the Ginsberg poem, it starts,

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the ***** streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night ..."