Can I put a heavy SS Mcintosh MC2100 on top of my forte?

EBEB

Hey guys😀

I think I found the perfect spot for new Mcintosh MC2100 amp and it's on top of my Forte I (see picture attached)?!?!?!?!

Is that a problem or risk for the speaker?

sound wise?

heat/temperature wise?

Any recommendation about the topic?

Have a great weekend!

IMG_1002.jpg

Edited by EBEB
  • Like 2

Some would, I wouldn't.  Some will maintain that the vibration from the Forte won't bother the 2100, but I'm OCD enough to want the 2100 to be on something vibration free.  I have no good evidence for my view, but if you play music at concert level, I'd be uncomfortable.

You could always ask McIntosh.

• Like 1

Should not be a problem ... I have a Yamaha SS amp on top of my Cornwall's and it is just fine :)  To be "safe," put some additional rubber (anti-vibration) material in between. Have a pair of Forte I's also and IMHO they are pretty "anemic."  (Oh oh ... sure I will hear about that comment :) ) OK; "anemic" compared to Pro speakers :D  

Cheers, Emile

I had some of my various amps atop my Khorns.  Never seemed to create any issues for me (nor the sound)

Heck, even today, I still have my amps on top...  I have a Crown K2 sitting vertical on top of each Jubilee, hiding behind the big horn on top.

• Moderators

If the bottom does not get hot, weight surely would not be a problem. I have a bunch of electronics on something that can have vibrations and it affects nothing unless there is a bad connection to start with. It's more vibration than any forte could produce

The 2100 is not tubes is it, don't think so but not sure, if so I don't know how any vibration would affect tubes.

I don't know why it would be harmful.  In fact, I've recently seen photos of paving blocks stacked all over speaker cabinets and it was said to have increased the quality of the sound!  Also in that thread was a novel notion of using a small roll of electrical tape laying on its side holding a golf ball upon which sat whatever piece of equipment, as sound isolators.  Naturally, at least three per unit...  That thread is fun for those and other reasons!

• Haha 1

There are products called furniture sliders.  They're meant to go under furniture, so it's easy to move around the room, but they could be suitable for this application, because they have cloth bottoms that should be non-marking.  As well, they provide a bit of padding for vibration reduction.  I may buy some myself, to control vibration from my Blu-ray player.

They come in various sizes and shapes, and are pretty inexpensive:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Sliders-Furniture-Sliders-4-ct-Pack/16782141

Lowes carries them, too:  https://www.lowes.com/pl/Furniture-sliders-Moving-boxes-supplies-Storage-organization/4294713224

5 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Be careful putting the amplifiers rubber feet directly onto the cabinet due to possible chemical reactions along with the focused weight which can eat its way into some finishes.

miketn

Yea someone posted a photo of this exact thing last week. The rubber feet pulled the finish right off the speaker.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Won't hurt it though vibration and electronics don't go together.  Make sure you put felt under the feet.  Rubber and some plastics either get gooey, bleed color/react with the surface, or glue themselves to what they sit on.

Vibration likely won't be an issue here.

Rubber-backed rugs on vinyl floors can be a real no-no too.  In the case presented in this thread plain copier paper cut to foot-size should suffice.

9 minutes ago, glens said:

Vibration likely won't be an issue here.

For the post part your are probably correct but sure doesn't help either.  It's not exactly good on circuitry but if there is proper damping of the boards and such, you're likely right.  I myself wouldn't do that if I was worried about longevity.