Can I put a heavy SS Mcintosh MC2100 on top of my forte?

EBEB

I would be concerned with two things. First and foremost is that vibrations will affect tube performance. And isolating tube gear from airborne and floor borne vibrations will improve your sound.

Number two. I would also be concerned about what the heat from a tube amp would do to the veneer.

Bottom line is, there are better locations for a tube amp than on top of a speaker.

Shakey

The pictured amp feet aren't too very far from the corners of the top surface, where (the corners) there will be virtually no vibration transmitted.

In that speaker, panel vibration will be most prevalent on the front and back, next level will be the left and right sides, least on the top and bottom.  In every case the most the most movement will be in the center of the panel "graduating" to non-existent at the corners.

If the cabinet doesn't buzz the floor, something heavy on top will survive.  :)

10 hours ago, glens said:

I don't know why it would be harmful.  In fact, I've recently seen photos of paving blocks stacked all over speaker cabinets and it was said to have increased the quality of the sound!  Also in that thread was a novel notion of using a small roll of electrical tape laying on its side holding a golf ball upon which sat whatever piece of equipment, as sound isolators.  Naturally, at least three per unit...  That thread is fun for those and other reasons!

Component isolation devices are nothing new. And in a resolving system, can reap benefits. This is especially true for tube equipment, turntables and D/A converters.

1 minute ago, veloceleste said:

How about a nice, heavy piece of glass cut to size with some sort of vibration control feet/ device between the glass and speaker. Maybe a little pricey but will protect everything....

But if your goal is to isolate the amp from vibrations, why not start out with a placement strategy that has much less vibration in the first place. I.E., not on top of a speaker.

If one is just looking for some place to sit the amp that looks cool and they don't care about the negative impact, go for it  I say........

Shakey

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Component isolation devices are nothing new. And in a resolving system, can reap benefits. This is especially true for tube equipment, turntables and D/A converters.

No, but golf balls and tape rolls are novel!

I'll "buy" the tubes (microphonics) and turntables (obvious), but unless the D/A converter has tubes (why??), "no sale" on that one.  And like I said, little-to-no vibration will be present at the corners anyway.

thank you so much for the kind and detailed answers everyone 🙂

The 2100 is NOT a tube amp but a solid state one hence the idea to put it on top.

1) based on everything I read I think I'll put some buffer between the amp and the speaker. what would you suggest? glass? foam?

2) why do the speaker cables need to be in the same length? I was planning on having one that is 0.5m and the second around 5m. bad?

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, EBEB said:

thanks @garyrc see picture attached just to understand why i think it could be perfect assuming its not a risk 🙂 

IMG_1002.jpg

Have to admit that it is a 'perfect' fit.  Looks much better than the more popular 'flower pot' motif that must have been used on my Quartets & KG4's as evidenced by the 'circle' stains left behind.

Be careful putting the amplifiers rubber feet directly onto the cabinet due to possible chemical reactions along with the focused weight which can eat its way into some finishes.

miketn
Yep, years ago I learned the hard way. Instead of fixing it, here's a cool band-aid.

74b4b79e5ee4bdcf3d010aa421ae95bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Yep, years ago I learned the hard way. Instead of fixing it, here's a cool band-aid.

Never put anything on top of your nice wood finish. 

Never stack equipment either, the feet may leave marks. If you absolutely must stack equipment (or put on top of speakers) I find that cardboard spacers used for drywall installation work very well.  Put under the rubber feet so that only cardboard is touching the wood finish or component that is underneath. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SWL said:

Cool, painting images of reflected ceiling fixtures was a good idea.  I wonder if it would be possible to laser etch them so they appear to move around as you change your position relative to the speaker?

:)

• Like 1