NAD M32 or C390DD with BluOS module

artto

I'm using a C390DD with a recently installed BluOS. The BluOS module (nor it's app) appear to not be functioning properly. NAD says it is. But no bass treble or balance controls like all the other sources. I'm not upgrading to a M32 without knowing if the same will happen. No dealers around the Chicago area have M32 available for comparison.

I just looked, both the manual for yours and that of the M32 contain the same blurb about BluOs not being available to the digital outputs.  I can understand that, what with "protected content" and all, but to implement it in such a way as to preclude any manipulation other than volume is ignorant.  I'd hope NAD had figured out how to include tone and balance control for the M32, but get a gut feeling they didn't.  Even with your generation of gear I'm disappointed with them for the way they handled it.

I've been a NAD fan since ~1980 and am currently using their product.  At least with mine there's no tone or balance controls across the board.

If/when you find out about the M32, post a followup note here, would you?

AXPONA is held just a few miles from me. I'm sure someone there will have a BluOS equipped M32 for me to report back on.

By then the 60 day free Tidal trial will have expired and the BluOS returned to Crutchfield. I definitely won't upgrade if this is a problem on the M32 too.

But I can tell you this. Several recordings that I'm extremely familiar with, when streamed from Tidal directly into the C390DD/BluOS, definitely have better resolution/definition than playing the same (ripped from CD) from the laptop/JRiver via USB or HDMI to the C390. And these were CD quality streams, not 96/24, 192/24 or MQA encoding. OTOH there were a number of 96/24 and 192/24 MQA titles that needed some adjustment in the bass department. So, as usual, the recording engineer is king. And what (equipment) he's listening to, and the room he's listening in,  as well as personal preference is still influencing the final result.