T18 Subwoofer Project

M_Klipsches

I got caught up in a thread started by @EpicKlipschFan which lead me down this path. I bought the plans and started gathering parts a few weeks back. The wood was the most cumbersome as I wanted to use Baltic Birch instead of MDF (Ugghhh, MDF dust and the weight). The nearest source is 3 1/2 hours away, and we just traded our only vehicle with a hitch. I had to buy some cut pieces from Rockler. I decided on the T18 due to size & possible WAF I read, & re-read the plans, bought the 8” Dayton Audio driver from PE. I’m using a Yung 300 plate amp that was insufficient for my previous sub build, but should be great for this.  I started to lay out & build a couple of weeks back. My unheated garage and weeks of incessant rain have slowed progress a  little bit. Any rate at the risk of finding out I’m doing everything wrong. I’ll post a couple of pics.  Thanks to everyone who turned me on to this. I hope it’s as good as advertised. 

C53937DA-7ABC-4D37-903D-7609D0E07083.jpeg

450D7E71-E221-415C-AD2C-93AEDDF1B234.jpeg

88699566-4834-4CF5-BC6F-80A0AAD85F1A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final assembly stage is coming to a close. Just passed air leak tests with no apparent issues. Spent two hours looking for my gasket tape. It’s officially missing. If anyone has any idea what I’ve done with it, let me know. I’m sure some sort of weatherstripping would suffice? Then again PE, ships quickly. Or, maybe I’ll remember where the hell I put it. I’ll add some pictures, once it’s buttoned up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Klipsch said:

If anyone has any idea what I’ve done with it, let me know. I’m sure some sort of weatherstripping would suffice? Then again PE, ships quickly. Or, maybe I’ll remember where the hell I put it.

Order some more. That will help you remember what you did with it. 😄

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

It took my wife less than three minutes to find it. I looked for it for two hours, and I knew what I was looking for. She was only going on my description of the box, and less than three minutes. 

Remember next time and save time...women rule.

• Like 1

Cabinet assembly is complete and it is functional, with no obvious air leaks. I’m still Deciding on finishing options. I’m not going black, I’d never get that nice shiny lacquer that @CECAA850 had on the one he built.  Straight Tung Oil, or Danish oil over the Baltic Birch mostly works and is easy; veneer has a high WAF and my hope is to get this in the family room, so that makes the most sense, except I’d like to keep the cost down. Anyway here is a pic of its current state. 

1B656A59-88E6-42D1-B1F5-C471F5B4940A.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Straight Tung Oil, or Danish oil over the Baltic Birch mostly works and is easy;

Might want to use a light stain in an inconspicuous place if you're looking to match the LaScala's, the oil by itself might not be quite dark enough, hard to tell. I say this because I had some B Birch that stayed very light at first, had to mix some stains to try to get where I wanted and it still didn't come out as I wanted.

Looks good, you did a nice job and should sound great with your mains.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I'll be curious of your thoughts on the sound. Are you using it along with the La Scala's?  I'm pretty sure I'll be wanting some sort of sub when I get my Belle clones finally moved in and hooked up upstairs once we can move in.

I used mine with Lascalas.  It blended seamlessly and kept up fairly well with them but it was in a bedroom.  Personally I would have liked it if it went lower but it did great for a horn in a 19" cube but it definitely reached down below what the Lascala could do .  A larger room where music was played fairly loud would probably need 2 of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I used mine with Lascalas.  It blended seamlessly and kept up fairly well with them but it was in a bedroom.  Personally I would have liked it if it went lower but it did great for a horn in a 19" cube but it definitely reached down below what the Lascala could do .  A larger room where music was played fairly loud would probably need 2 of them.

I could build two of them no problem.   The room is upstairs and right at 15' x 35 feet and  the Belle's will be on the long wall towards the far end about 10 feet apart and seating spot will be about 14 feet back.   I have a couple of spare amps that could take care of the subs.  I'll dig more into these once we're in for sure.

16 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I could build two of them no problem.   The room is upstairs and right at 15' x 35 feet and  the Belle's will be on the long wall towards the far end about 10 feet apart and seating spot will be about 14 feet back.   I have a couple of spare amps that could take care of the subs.  I'll dig more into these once we're in for sure.

For music only they're fine.  If you're using them for music and HT I'd build something a little bigger.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

For music only they're fine.  If you're using them for music and HT I'd build something a little bigger.

I quit doing HT stuff after I got out of the business 10 years ago.   It will only be used for music.

Just now, avguytx said:

I quit doing HT stuff after I got out of the business 10 years ago.   It will only be used for music.

They'll work then.  I believe they start dropping off in the 40 to 45 Hz range but that's still 60 Hz or so lower than the Lascala.  I think it looses horn loading around 100 Hz

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

They'll work then.  I believe they start dropping off in the 40 to 45 Hz range but that's still 60 Hz or so lower than the Lascala.  I think it looses horn loading around 100 Hz

There's till the possibility I will go with something larger but nothing huge like some I've seen.  May research a 12" version at some point.