T18 Subwoofer Project

M_Klipsches

51 minutes ago, zobsky said:

Oddly enough, ... I've actually had anarchy 25 Hz tapped horns and tuba 18 and table tuba in the same room , at different times.

Anarchy TH - clean,  goes low, not very efficient, not very punchy, did not bother trying for home theater

Tuba 18 - clean, doesn't go as low as the Anarchy TH, but punchy and more musical / enjoyable , great for most music, .. and "passable" for HT

Table Tuba - a bit muddier than either of the above, goes down to 30Hz or a bit below in room, punchy, great for music or TH , probably the most efficient

If I had to build one of these again in that room, I'd pick the T18 . I have a pico-wrecker TH that I haven't tried in that room yet (although in a comparison with the Table Tuba in another room, it went as low and probably lower, was a bit less efficient . They both sounded close enough, though the Table tuba could extend higher - being a front horn)

Yeah, HT is not an option for the 25 hz tapped horns unless you add more of them, but that kinda defeats the purpose of them. I am using them strictly for music in a small room and they work well, not to mention fit perfectly under the Belles (no more floor space needed)

I may try the T18 next time i am looking for a project. Thanks

@M_Klipsch great looking (fun) project. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Here's one of the table tubas I built.

Nice work. Your measurements and cuts for your braces were far superior to mine. Actually all your cuts are superior to mine. I’d really like to use one, as a table.  So what’s your take on T18 v Table Tuba?

17 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

Nice work. Your measurements and cuts for your braces were far superior to mine. Actually all your cuts are superior to mine. I’d really like to use one, as a table.  So what’s your take on T18 v Table Tuba?

A track saw will instantly make you a better carpenter. 

Basically the table tuba will go noticeably lower.  They sound similar to me in the frequencies that they play in common.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

Think that may well accommodate 2 or more on a roundabout of cheese and wine. Seating may be pillow variety. Nice and intimate.

Ok had a chance to play with the still unfinished T18  in the room with the LaScalas & Heresys. I had recently moved my DIY 15” sealed box subwoofer to a back corner. This alone made a significant difference in that sub. Increased volume, better and more evenly dispersed bass. I first ran the T18 solo with the LS. Super balanced sound, it compliments the LS, not overwhelming them, nor getting left behind. Just clean bass that sounds like it’s coming from the La Scalas. Perfect for music. Then tried Heresys in 5.2, I cued up  the party/club scene from John Wick 2, switched on both subs, and let the magic happen. It was over the top. Both subs are staying in that system. Although, I do need to secure a couple of resonant items that are trying to ruin the good times. 

I’m guessing the radiator and horn subs aren’t supposed to work together? It seems like they do. I’m for sure no expert. 

23 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

I’m guessing the radiator and horn subs aren’t supposed to work together?

Normally the delay in sound from the horn sub vs the direct radiator will smear the bass a bit.  If you can put a little delay on the direct radiator or play with distance or distance settings it will help.  Glad you're liking it.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, M_Klipsch said:

I first ran the T18 solo with the LS. Super balanced sound, it compliments the LS, not overwhelming them, nor getting left behind. Just clean bass that sounds like it’s coming from the La Scalas. Perfect for music. 

Yup, pretty much how I'd describe the T18

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 8:58 PM, CECAA850 said:

Here's one of the table tubas I built.

IMG_0434 (1).jpg

Carl, did you put a hatch cover on your TTs?

I have the plans and have been reading and re-reading them to understand the build process.

Bruce

33 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Carl, did you put a hatch cover on your TTs?

I have the plans and have been reading and re-reading them to understand the build process.

Bruce

If you're talking about the cover for the driver opening then no. 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:36 PM, CECAA850 said:

Basically the table tuba will go noticeably lower.  They sound similar to me in the frequencies that they play in common.

Doesn't having that solid of an object between the speakers and the listener cause some odd reflections coming off the top of the flat surface of the cabinet if used as a "coffee table" sub?  Anytime I've ever had a coffee table between them, I could  tell the mid/highs "bounced" off of it, if you will.  Same things goes with a ceiling fan being on at low to medium speed right above the listening area;  at certain frequencies, I could hear it warbling off of the blades.  It was even to the point where I was checking the equipment, changing an amp, changing songs, etc., only to find it was the fan reflecting sound.  Have you ever experienced that?  Just curious...

55 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you're talking about the cover for the driver opening then no. 

So there is no access to the woofer....ever...if something happens to it or you want to access it?

Love seeing the BFM sub builds.  I put together a THT a few years ago.  I would describe it much like M_Klipsch did.  It just sounds like my La Scala bass bins now dig down to 25hz or so.  Totally seamless horn loaded bass.  The only downside as far as I can see is that they are rather large.  I built mine in my basement, and it can't ever leave!   Will have to sell it with the house.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, avguytx said:

So there is no access to the woofer....ever...if something happens to it or you want to access it?

He asked if I put a hatch cover on and I said no.  The driver chamber is open on one side.  You put that side close to the wall or floor, normally a couple inches away.

43 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

He asked if I put a hatch cover on and I said no.  The driver chamber is open on one side.  You put that side close to the wall or floor, normally a couple inches away.

Gotcha.  Thank you sir.

I continue to be impressed with this subwoofer. If anyone is on the fence about building one, just do it. I can’t imagine being disappointed with the results. I’m certain I’ll be building another BFM design in the future, probably a THTLP.

I’ve finally decided on a finish for this one. I’m probably going beyond my abilities, both in concept and execution. Oh well, sometimes ya gotta say WTF, and roll with it. I’ll post pictures once it’s finished. Unless it’s terrible, then I’ll post pictures of the Plan B redo.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

I’ve finally decided on a finish for this one. I’m probably going beyond my abilities, both in concept and execution. Oh well, sometimes ya gotta say WTF, and roll with it. I’ll post pictures once it’s finished. Unless it’s terrible, then I’ll post pictures of the Plan B redo.

Good for you!  Step out there and try something new.  That's the only way to learn something.

• Like 1