T18 Subwoofer Project

M_Klipsches

12 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

True for certain. I’ve learned more than a few things by not letting my ignorance, or ineptitude stand in my way.

I've lost track of how many subs I've built over the years but still to this day learn a little every time I build one.  I like to try new ways to assemble.  I also still screw up and try different methods of repair.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks great!  For some reason I remember mine being more cube shaped with fairly equal sides but it's been a while since I had it.

Edit:  was width optional?  If so, that could explain the difference.

Yes. Width is variable. This one is 12”, I should have gone wider, but as I had to have the Baltic Birch shipped, the economical choice was 12”W. Plus it was planned to fit a certain location. Even with the smaller size, the output is quite impressive.

15 hours ago, rockhound said:

SWEET!! Share a pic of it in the listening position! Will be curious of your review once you get it dialed in.

Thank ya. Will do. The music room is a mess right now. I really think I’ve found the sweet spot. It’s  midway along the left long wall, which isn’t supposed to be optimal. But as I’d recently moved the other sub into the left rear corner, it was an open space. It sounded really good there. Much better than the other sub sounded when it was in that same spot. 

19 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Yes. Width is variable. This one is 12”, I should have gone wider, but as I had to have the Baltic Birch shipped, the economical choice was 12”W. Plus it was planned to fit a certain location. Even with the smaller size, the output is quite impressive.

The only advantage to using Baltic Birch is its less prone to damage than softer materials such as moving them around often for pro sound use.

I suggest on the next build you consider using Auraco plywood and building the cabinet as wide as possible to get as much as you can out of the designs.

Your build looks nice by the way and I'm sure after building this first one you realize the design is so well thought out you really don't need to spend as much on material or drivers to get dam good performance out of them.

5 hours ago, jason str said:

The only advantage to using Baltic Birch is its less prone to damage than softer materials such as moving them around often for pro sound use.

I suggest on the next build you consider using Auraco plywood and building the cabinet as wide as possible to get as much as you can out of the designs.

Your build looks nice by the way and I'm sure after building this first one you realize the design is so well thought out you really don't need to spend as much on material or drivers to get dam good performance out of them.

Thank you. You seem to know what you are doing on these subs, that compliment carries some weight. I had no better luck locally sourcing the Auraco. I considered using MDF, I just hate the dust and weight. I’ll definitely build another Tuba Sub, probably a THTLP, but another T18, or Table Tuba may happen first. I’ll take more time with the wood next build.  Thank you for your part in sending me down this path. I doubt I’d ever build, or buy another direct radiator sub again. 

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Not sure if they make it in 1/2".

MDF?  They have it at our local Lowes and Home Depot.  I was surprised that 3/4" MDF had recently dropped so much in price.  I think I paid $24 per sheet for some we bought for making parts of our closets.  They had 1/2" in stock, too, for around $20 I think.  May depend on location.

Just now, avguytx said:

MDF?  They have it at our local Lowes and Home Depot.  I was surprised that 3/4" MDF had recently dropped so much in price.  I think I paid $24 per sheet for some we bought for making parts of our closets.  They had 1/2" in stock, too, for around $20 I think.  May depend on location.

I've used Lowes and Home Depot MDF in the past.  Never again.  It's more like particle board.  If I need it I'll go to a cabinet shop now.  The difference in quality is noticeable.  The big box store stuff is extremely easy to flake and chip.  Cabinet grade stuff is much denser and machines really nicely.  It's much less porous also.  I've never used 1/2" MDF though.

Oh I agree.  You get what you pay for at the Big Box stores.  The local lumbar yard pricing on wood is typically cheaper than Lowes or Depot, anyway.  But we had to have some one night as both lumber yards close at noon on Saturday.  The MDF at Lowes is pretty much the same look and density as what's at the lumber yard.  Lowes also has particle board which is definitely lesser grade.  Too bad neither sell HDF.

I’ve built speaker stands, odds & ends with the 1/2” MDF. Seemed the same as 3/4” stuff. It’s a perfectly adequate material, like I said I just hate the dust & weight, mostly the dust. Plus it’s just, inelegant. However, it is listed as an acceptable material in the plans.  And is definitely “cost effective”.

@M_Klipsch  - besides a great build =  fantastic sunburst  - I've wanted one on a Karlson but know I'd have to get someone with skill to do it.

fwiw a T18 sim - Scroll down below that picture for a sim of a 12 inch driver version of La Scala, which would also be an 18 inch cube cabinet

fDvwyLg.png

0.83 scale La Scala with Kappa12A

cvevvob.png