T18 Subwoofer Project

M_Klipsches

8 hours ago, karlson3 said:

@M_Klipsch  - besides a great build =  fantastic sunburst  - I've wanted one on a Karlson but know I'd have to get someone with skill to do it.

fwiw a T18 sim - Scroll down below that picture for a sim of a 12 inch driver version of La Scala, which would also be an 18 inch cube cabinet

Thank you! For the compliment and info. Wow that’s a lot of data for my numerically dyslexic mind to sort through. As to the sunburst, I’d say give it a go. This was my first time using lacquer, and I found it a very straightforward, and forgiving medium. I used Color Tone aerosol lacquer from a musical instrument supply place, “StewMac”, I found it on Amazon. A little practice on some scrap and you’ll be good to go. I’ll definitely use lacquer again. 

18 hours ago, karlson3 said:

I'm pretty much worthless as a cabinet maker - plus need to dump a lot of stuff to make any room.  (I'm in Huntington WV)    As far as width,  12 inches looks pretty good vs 18 (IF I got things right) - this is with T18 poked into a corner.

te3PuIv.png

Very close and agrees with my rudimentary measurements. Thanks for the tech. It’s nice to know there are at least a few of us WV folk that care a bit about decent audio. I’m just east of Charleston. 

Michael

On 4/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, M_Klipsch said:

I’ve built speaker stands, odds & ends with the 1/2” MDF. Seemed the same as 3/4” stuff. It’s a perfectly adequate material, like I said I just hate the dust & weight, mostly the dust. Plus it’s just, inelegant. However, it is listed as an acceptable material in the plans.  And is definitely “cost effective”.

Many of my plans are older from when i was one of the BFM authorized builders witch plans have probably been updated to include MDF.

I just avoid it personally as the only advantage is that its a bit smoother surface for veneering.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2019 at 6:43 AM, rockhound said:

SWEET!! Share a pic of it in the listening position! Will be curious of your review once you get it dialed in.

It wound up in the family room where it’s hidden in a corner (so much for my lacquer work 😀)  It was originally intended to go into this room to give a bit more low end to what was a 5.0 set up. It’s working very well even though it’s a larger area this little sub manages to add some impressive low end oomph to the system. While still  having an adequate WAF. I guess I’ll need to build another Tuba for the music room. 

A8F1865E-6C04-45F1-AE7B-D0A0AAE20BD3.jpeg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

C263E36B-093A-42C2-8B45-BE1CDE1E510D.jpeg.b15d0ed92537a00893ac7faa518aa598.jpegWell, it’s been about a year since the T18 project first began. It is filling its originally intended purpose of adding some low end oomph in the family room system. It rocks enough to upset the dog, (at least one of them anyway). She hates the Marvel movies. It has really upped the game in that system.
Now, I’m planning to turn this pile of plywood into a Table Tuba for my “Music Room”
I’ll start a new build thread but figured there might be some interest from this one. Open to thoughts & input on the new project. 

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, soundbound said:

How’d you do the piano black finish?

After I built it, I detailed the wood with bondo.  It took quite a while as I'd shine a light across the surface looking for pits, filling and sanding them.  When I had it to where I thought it was basically perfect, or as perfect as I could get it, I brought it to a friends body shop.  They primed it then did an automotive black basecoat with a clear coat topping.

@JL Sargent has it now.

• Like 2