T18 Subwoofer Project

M_Klipsches

2 minutes ago, avguytx said:

There's till the possibility I will go with something larger but nothing huge like some I've seen.  May research a 12" version at some point.

Next up in size is the Table Tuba.  It'll go plenty low for music.  I have a dual driver one on my back patio and built a pair of them for a friend.  You can use an 8 or a 10 in those.  The nice thing is that you don't have to use a huge amp to drive them.

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

Might want to use a light stain in an inconspicuous place if you're looking to match the LaScala's, the oil by itself might not be quite dark enough, hard to tell. I say this because I had some B Birch that stayed very light at first, had to mix some stains to try to get where I wanted and it still didn't come out as I wanted.

Looks good, you did a nice job and should sound great with your mains.

Thank ya. I know what you mean, the B Birch never seems to look as good stained as it should. Fortunately it doesn’t have to match the La Scalas, which are LS-BR with the patina of age & tung oil varnish. I’m hoping to get it in the Family Room, where it will be used with RP280Fs, which I veneered in oak to match the rest of the furniture in the room (WAF). I might get away without it matching, as it will be hidden in a corner behind  a chair. Obviously, the smart choice is veneer & stain to match the RPs. 

1 hour ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

Your assembly looks very tight, was Rocklers able to give you precision cuts based off of your dimensions? Did you have to do any trimming before assembly?

Thank you. I did the cuts myself. I just followed the plans and didn’t take too many liberties. There were more than a few “blade’s width” trims for sure. I did pre-cut all the pieces beforehand, due to sketchy weather. 

18 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

Thank ya. I know what you mean, the B Birch never seems to look as good stained as it should. Fortunately it doesn’t have to match the La Scalas, which are LS-BR with the patina of age & tung oil varnish. I’m hoping to get it in the Family Room, where it will be used with RP280Fs, which I veneered in oak to match the rest of the furniture in the room (WAF). I might get away without it matching, as it will be hidden in a corner behind  a chair. Obviously, the smart choice is veneer & stain to match the RPs. 

Pre stain wood conditioner will take care of the blotchy stain problems associated with the material.

Water based with water based and oil based with oil based, then just follow the instructions on the can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

I'll be curious of your thoughts on the sound. Are you using it along with the La Scala's?  I'm pretty sure I'll be wanting some sort of sub when I get my Belle clones finally moved in and hooked up upstairs once we can move in.

I was testing it with the La Scalas it sounded pretty good and seemed able to keep up and enhanced the low end for sure. It’s not a large room, 16’X20’X7’, but probably would need two, to do it right. It certainly is a clean bass note, not boomy at all. I built a diy sub that I use with The La Scalas for music & five Heresys for gaming and occasional movies.  

I used two Anarchy 25hz tapped horn (Lil' Mike) for use with my Belles. (Had to use two to keep up in a small room similar to your's). I picked that one based on size and an extreme shortage of space in the room. I put them on their side and set the Belles on top. I really like the sound and the way they blend together. BUT, I have nothing for comparison other than direct radiator subs that I did not care for when mixed with the horn woofer section of the Belle. My question is, how would these subs compare? Has anyone heard both (I think Carl has). I am just curious as I sometimes build just for the fun of it and this looks like a fun project. I am not looking for coffin size subs (yet)! Anyone?

c3.thumb.jpg.31b2c1c34caaee0947dacbc7025a5345.jpg

• Like 2

Hmmm...  Well, I like bass as much as the next person but definitely don't want to be knocking crap off the walls downstairs, or upstairs, in doing so.  Sounds like I'll start with one sub and go from there.  lol.  

Do you have a list of which woofers are recommended for this cabinet?  Is it only the Dayton woofer?  I know I've seen some of the horn loaded subs that use car audio woofers and, if so, I can get most any brand at cost.

12 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I used two Anarchy 25hz tapped horn (Lil' Mike) for use with my Belles. (Had to use two to keep up in a small room similar to your's). I picked that one based on size and an extreme shortage of space in the room. I put them on their side and set the Belles on top. I really like the sound and the way they blend together. BUT, I have nothing for comparison other than direct radiator subs that I did not care for when mixed with the horn woofer section of the Belle. My question is, how would these subs compare? Has anyone heard both (I think Carl has). I am just curious as I sometimes build just for the fun of it and this looks like a fun project. I am not looking for coffin size subs (yet)! Anyone?

The Anarchy will go lower, the T18 will go louder from my recollection.

9 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

@avguytx either the Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" driver, or 

the Anarchy-704  are suited to the box

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-parts/speaker-components/woofers/anarchy7-4ohm.html

I believe he was asking about drivers for the T-18.

EDIT, you may be correct, now I'm not sure.  LOL.

• Haha 1

I used the Dayton DCS 205-4. The Tang Band W8-740 is also suggested. I went with the Dayton because the specs were close, and it was quite a bit less expensive. The depth of the driver can be “no more than 5 3/8”. This is important, because there ain’t much room when attaching the driver. 

I did leave that rather open, didn't I?  lol    T18 was what I was curious of but I appreciate the information on the other as well.  So the T18 uses just an 8" woofer, huh?  Interesting.  The nice part is in keeping the cabinet sizes fairly small plus I have a good corner on the end of the room I'm keeping the 2-channel gear in.

Maybe it's the THT and THTLP that had the range of woofers.

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Hmmm...  Well, I like bass as much as the next person but definitely don't want to be knocking crap off the walls downstairs, or upstairs, in doing so.  Sounds like I'll start with one sub and go from there.  lol.  

Fwiw, this was 30hz test tone at 90db. Under reasonable circumstances it wouldn’t be an issue. Well then again, there is probably a reason my music room isn’t in the house. That does seem about the practical limit for this sub in that room. Two of them would likely work well with those Belle clones. I think it’s awesome that you built those. That’s some pro level cabinet making. Damned impressive. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

I used the Dayton DCS 205-4. The Tang Band W8-740 is also suggested. I went with the Dayton because the specs were close, and it was quite a bit less expensive. The depth of the driver can be “no more than 5 3/8”. This is important, because there ain’t much room when attaching the driver. 

The Tang Band wasTIGHT.  It also comes with a really thick gasket which didn't help matters.

17 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Oddly enough, ... I've actually had anarchy 25 Hz tapped horns and tuba 18 and table tuba in the same room , at different times.

Anarchy TH - clean,  goes low, not very efficient, not very punchy, did not bother trying for home theater

Tuba 18 - clean, doesn't go as low as the Anarchy TH, but punchy and more musical / enjoyable , great for most music, .. and "passable" for HT

Table Tuba - a bit muddier than either of the above, goes down to 30Hz or a bit below in room, punchy, great for music or TH , probably the most efficient

If I had to build one of these again in that room, I'd pick the T18 . I have a pico-wrecker TH that I haven't tried in that room yet (although in a comparison with the Table Tuba in another room, it went as low and probably lower, was a bit less efficient . They both sounded close enough, though the Table tuba could extend higher - being a front horn)

• Like 2