Re-Wiring Klipschorns (pics added)

kevinmi

Now that I have my new crossovers, I thought I may as well rewire the 'Horns while I'm at it. I have a spool of 12 ga and 10 ga, and possibly enough 8ga laying around to do the job.Any thoughts as to what would work best, and what would be overkill? Should I use the same gauge for all 3 drivers?

Sorry, I don't have any mil spec wire at this time. Drivers are Crites cast woofers, BMS 4592 mids, Selenium 220-TI tweets.

For the nick pickers on the Fourm’s will tell you that if you mix different ga wires you will start to complicate the time alignment of your crossover
so just stick with the same gauge throughout everything and stick with pure copper or silver or copper with a silver plate
but stay away from the aluminum clad or anything that has aluminum in it
And with short runs in a speaker cab 12ga is the sweet spot for wiring speaker cabs

For the nick pickers on the Fourm’s will tell you that if you mix different ga wires you will start to complicate the time alignment of your crossover
so just stick with the same gauge throughout everything and stick with pure copper or silver or copper with a silver plate
And with short runs in a speaker cab 12ga is the sweet spot for wiring speaker cabs

2 hours ago, glens said:

If you're asking me, of the three options the 12 is what I'd go with everywhere.  The others?  Overkill.

Others are gross overkill. Time alignmnt?? Really!!! So electricity flows at different rates dependent on wire gage?  Buy a 100 foot roll of Monprice 12g when on sale for under $100 and be done with it. NOTHING you will ever have will require anything more unless you plan on a cable run of ridiculous length.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, glens said:

Well, if you want to limit it to less-than-ridiculous lengths, then 14 ga. would be sufficient.  In fact that's what I'd use to rewire the speaker but wasn't given that option.

It really is. I just use 12g everywhere except for my MAHL tweeters jumper cables where I use 14g. Bought that by the 300' roll. It hardly costs me more to go bigger so I do.

28 minutes ago, Deang said:

Stop. 

Email me. 

15 AWG tin annealed copper wire with Panduit disconnects, attached using a Panduit crimper.

I can make a rewiring kit for you. 

$4999.00 

+ shipping?

3 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

NO. Just NO. 

Ignore this. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kevinmi said:

Now that I have my new crossovers, I thought I may as well rewire the 'Horns while I'm at it. I have a spool of 12 ga and 10 ga, and possibly enough 8ga laying around to do the job.Any thoughts as to what would work best, and what would be overkill? Should I use the same gauge for all 3 drivers?

Sorry, I don't have any mil spec wire at this time. Drivers are Crites cast woofers, BMS 4592 mids, Selenium 220-TI tweets.

What do you hope to accomplish?  Due to their short length, the factory wires are just fine.  Or do you mean the wire from the amp to the speakers? 

• kevinmi changed the title to Re-Wiring Klipschorns (pics added)