Re-Wiring Klipschorns (pics added)

kevinmi

11 hours ago, JohnA said:

What do you hope to accomplish?  Due to their short length, the factory wires are just fine.  Or do you mean the wire from the amp to the speakers? 

I'm not looking to accomplish anything except to clean up the appearance a bit. I've rewired the speakers about 9 years ago when I rebuilt them, and I figured since I got fancy new x-overs, I'd go ahead and do a rewire while I'm under the hood. I have fancy gold plated terminals I want to use up also.  

OK, the real reason is that I just retired, and have time to do whatever the hell I want!

13 hours ago, Deang said:

Stop. 

Email me. 

15 AWG tin annealed copper wire with Panduit disconnects, attached using a Panduit crimper.

I can make a rewiring kit for you. 

$4999.00 

I was ready to order this until I saw that ridiculous shipping price of $1.00

• Like 1

I am convinced wire does make a difference. How much I do not know. 

The latest version of the La Scala AL-5 is wired with Audioquest Star Quad. I suspect it is used in the AK-6 also. 

Roy would only change from the clear 12 ga zip cord for two reasons. 

1.Audioquest saw a marketing opportunity and gave the wire to Klipsch for use in these new products. Saving maybe 10.00 in construction costs.

2. Roy in testing either heard or measured an improvement in playback performance. I have never seen an Audioquest Star Quad wire, assume even in bulk is an order of magnitude more expensive than clear insulated 12 ga zip cord.

If I was rewiring a Klipschorn or La Scala the expense of Canare Star Quad speaker seems worthwhile. There are three sizes, 11, 13, and 17 ga. 

Most would use the 13 ga for all. This is 4S8. Around a dollar a foot. I think 12 dollars would do both. I picked some of the 17 ga, 4S6 for the mid/tweeter side of the LS ii. It was 31 cents a foot. Gets the rewire cost down to maybe 8 dollars for the biwire crossover. Single wired older Khorns will be significantly cheaper to rewire.

The Star Quad construction rejects RFI and EMI better than zipcord. Must be why that is used in the new models. 

In an older speaker replacing the wire and especially the connectors may be an improvement. Those crimp on connectors and wire oxidize over time. Dissimilar metals. Some may slide off easily. Just going back with 12 ga zip and some quality (USA NOS) connectors is worthwhile. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I started making some new wires, but I think @Deang made the connections on the crossovers too small!

30.jpg

cable 002 30.jpg

I see Dean stuck you with the budget terminal strip.  You have to get the Magna Pan option for a true performance terminal block

• Like 1

• kevinmi changed the title to Re-Wiring Klipschorns (pics added)