I Retired Yesterday!

kevinmi

I finally said good bye to General Motors after 24 years. I've had 5 surgeries in the last 8 years, and my body just can't take building trucks anymore. Probably the scariest thing I've ever done, but I did it.

I'm 63, so with my pension and SS, I should be fine. Besides, my wife works full time also. I'll probably have to cut back on buying vintage tubes and speakers.....

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Congrats to you!  If you can bottle your secret on how you get to retire and keep your pretty Mrs working full time...  Id bet there'd be a bunch here willing to buy a bottle!

I spend my time here in TN getting people (state employees) INTO their pension/401K system.  Then I spend one day a week at our downtown office, meeting with about 7 people on that one day.  Those folks are eyeballing their way out so I get to review their entire situation with them.

Sometimes I get to be depressed by how little they've saved (in their 401K) and over the years, have an idea of what kind of struggle might be ahead of them....  then....I hit the other extreme....  just last week, a guy came in.  Basically clueless about everything.  Years ago, he picked 3-4 different funds in his 401K plan.  As it happened, he (in hind sight) picked pretty much four out of four, the highest performers available in his plan.....and he's sitting on $900,000 in his 401K.

He had no clue he had amassed that much and was pleasantly surprised.  (yeah, those are fun conversations to have)

I got to watch him as he almost literally floated out of the office with rays of sunshine beaming all around him.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Congrats to you!  If you can bottle your secret on how you get to retire and keep your pretty Mrs working full time...  Id bet there'd be a bunch here willing to buy a bottle!

I spend my time here in TN getting people (state employees) INTO their pension/401K system.  Then I spend one day a week at our downtown office, meeting with about 7 people on that one day.  Those folks are eyeballing their way out so I get to review their entire situation with them.

Sometimes I get to be depressed by how little they've saved (in their 401K) and over the years, have an idea of what kind of struggle might be ahead of them....  then....I hit the other extreme....  just last week, a guy came in.  Basically clueless about everything.  Years ago, he picked 3-4 different funds in his 401K plan.  As it happened, he (in hind sight) picked pretty much four out of four, the highest performers available in his plan.....and he's sitting on $900,000 in his 401K.

He had no clue he had amassed that much and was pleasantly surprised.  (yeah, those are fun conversations to have)

I got to watch him as he almost literally floated out of the office with rays of sunshine beaming all around him.

That's a cool story. My lovely wife is only 50. I robbed the cradle so that I'd have a young-un to keep workin' while I stayed home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Congrats! I’m hoping to join the ranks of the retired later this year. Need to sell our house here in Cincinnati and move to the coast of North Carolina.  

Best of luck to you and your family.  

Cincy

I originally bought a retirement house on a lake way up north in MI, but ended up selling it because it was just too far away from necessities like good medical services. Plus they get 4 feet of snow at a time in the winter. We decided to stay in our house close to everything we need. I might buy something in FLA for the winter months, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I originally bought a retirement house on a lake way up north in MI, but ended up selling it because it was just too far away from necessities like good medical services. Plus they get 4 feet of snow at a time in the winter. We decided to stay in our house close to everything we need. I might buy something in FLA for the winter months, though.

We bought a house in Sunset Beach, NC a couple of years ago to be near my wife's sister. It's a great location, near the beach. We've made lots of friends there already. The house we live in now was going to be the retirement home until we decided it’s just too far out in the sticks of south eastern Ohio.  Hopefully, it won’t be to hard to sell. 

Having medical services close by and no or little snow is a very good thing. 

Cincy

4 minutes ago, cincymat said:

We bought a house in Sunset Beach, NC a couple of years ago to be near my wife's sister. It's a great location, near the beach. We've made lots of friends there already. The house we live in now was going to be the retirement home until we decided it’s just too far out in the sticks of south eastern Ohio.  Hopefully, it won’t be to hard to sell. 

Having medical services close by and no or little snow is a very good thing. 

Cincy

You are going to miss watching the corn grow!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

I'm 63, so with my pension and SS, I should be fine. Besides, my wife works full time also. I'll probably have to cut back on buying vintage tubes and speakers...

I don't see a problem at all...  You've got your tubes, LP's, and that record clamp!  Enjoy it

23 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

You are going to miss watching the corn grow!

21 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Don’t forget the soybeans! They’re a sight, don’t ya know.

Corn/soybeans bleh...  Deer are smaller down South IF you're into venison.  Otherwise just stay vertical and enjoy life!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me, retirement hasn't been what it's cracked up to be. Generally get to sleep late, and after years of getting up at dark thirty that's good, but seem to be working harder and getting less for it than ever. Granted, I am "giving back" and  it's very satisfying, but it's still a grind sometimes.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1