I Retired Yesterday!

kevinmi

Congrats on retirement.

Question for some of you.  I just read an article about baby boomers are reshaping the work force by how they are retiring.  Considering a couple of comments from some of you, its no wonder.  Not saying that in a bad way,  just the exact point of the article. Some seem to continue working after they "retire".  So, what does retirement look like to you?  I've got a ways to go, but always wonder what mine would be.  I actually enjoy working, maybe not the work I am doing now, but other kinds of work.   To me retiring means not doing anything other than traveling to different beaches.  That being said, I may not do that until my 70s.  That could be because of finances, but for me, if I am healthy at 65, I see no reason to quit working.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

Ideally I'd like to find a part time job where I'd work maybe 20 hours a week.  Something entry level with no option to get into management.   I'm done thinking and being responsible for everyone.   Clock in, do my little job (better than everyone else ) clock out and go home.

• Like 3

My 68 year old brother retired a few years ago, had a construction company and 4-5 employees. He got bored, bought a mini-excavator, and does small digging jobs. He probably works 2-3 days a week, and is making as much as he did when he had his company. He's much happier without the hassles of employees and all the jobs required to keep them busy, plus his schedule is completely open.

• Like 4

I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy. I have a pole barn with a 4 post hoist, and I restore/modify Corvettes. I also make homemade wine, and have 5 acres with all sorts of fruit trees and such. I am thinking about buying/selling stereo gear on the side, and I might even make some more custom wood tratrix horns like I did for my K-Horns.

The last thing I want to do is quit my high paying union job to work somewhere for minimum wage! I will probably do some volunteer work to keep me occupied after I get all my projects caught up. The winters can be long and cold in MI. Maybe I'll become one of those annoying seniors who walk around the Malls getting in everyone's way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I will probably do some volunteer work to keep me occupied after I get all my projects caught up.

Projects seem to just appear from nowhere, it never ends, although a little volunteer work is a good thing. I tend to do a little volunteer work around the neighborhood, and for others helping when I can, others helped me when I didn't have the equipment or knowhow myself, it does make me feel better.

So on your first real day of retirement how does it feel?  It is a big change, you don't have to be anywhere or do anything you don't want to, probably the first time in a very long time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

But it only ends for you everything else keeps going.

Going, going and going!  That's the fun part!  At least it was for me.  They put two men on my job and one of them later asked me how I did it...  I just laffed at him.  Amazing how those today just don't "get it!"

• Like 1

congratulations and good for you on retirement...I've been able to help out with Family in retirement and I wouldn't have traded that for the world...

when retired it is funny how something small can upset the applecart...like going to meet a friend for coffee and talk and having him cancel...that was my day's highlight...what am I going to do now???...:wink:

enjoy retirement and best to you and yours for a good, long time.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Projects seem to just appear from nowhere, it never ends, although a little volunteer work is a good thing. I tend to do a little volunteer work around the neighborhood, and for others helping when I can, others helped me when I didn't have the equipment or knowhow myself, it does make me feel better.

So on your first real day of retirement how does it feel?  It is a big change, you don't have to be anywhere or do anything you don't want to, probably the first time in a very long time.

I've been off work since the middle of January due to a little gall bladder problem, so I kinda got a jump on the retirement thing!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 12:46 AM, The Dude said:

Congrats on retirement.

Question for some of you.  I just read an article about baby boomers are reshaping the work force by how they are retiring.  Considering a couple of comments from some of you, its no wonder.  Not saying that in a bad way,  just the exact point of the article. Some seem to continue working after they "retire".  So, what does retirement look like to you?  I've got a ways to go, but always wonder what mine would be.  I actually enjoy working, maybe not the work I am doing now, but other kinds of work.   To me retiring means not doing anything other than traveling to different beaches.  That being said, I may not do that until my 70s.  That could be because of finances, but for me, if I am healthy at 65, I see no reason to quit working.  Just a thought.

I probably fall in the camp of I'll fall over one day and die.....and it will happen at work.

I went to work today, passed a sign that said the lottery was (something like) $350 million.  I had a 2-hour drive to get to my work destination so dawdled a bit in my head what would I do if I won that much?? (never mind that I'd have to buy a ticket first!!)

1.  I'd buy the family farm here for a variety of reasons, slap a really nice house on top of the hill (we're on the highest hill in the county)

2.  Take the balance, put it into tax-free bonds so I'd have something like $3.3 million per year coming in, free from state and federal income taxes, broken up into monthly payments.

3.  Perhaps take a 2-3 week vacation

4.  Go back to work

Yeah...  I'd keep the job & keep showing up every day.  (helps when you really enjoy what you do)  

Which takes me back to.....  I'll probably be at work on a Wednesday.....something happens.....end up in a hospital and dying on Thursday.  (preferably not this upcoming of course)